RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
null_n_void
Yes, I'm an avatar now!

I am currently:
News - General Election announced for June 8th

You know the brown smelly stuff? Well, it's about hit the fan!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39628713

Prime Minister Theresa May has announced a plan to call a snap general election on 8 June. Here is the statement she made outside Number 10 in full:

Quote:
"I have just chaired a meeting of the cabinet, where we agreed that the government should call a general election, to be held on 8 June.

"I want to explain the reasons for that decision, what will happen next and the choice facing the British people when you come to vote in this election.
"Last summer, after the country voted to leave the European Union, Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership, and since I became prime minister the government has delivered precisely that.
"Despite predictions of immediate financial and economic danger, since the referendum we have seen consumer confidence remain high, record numbers of jobs, and economic growth that has exceeded all expectations.
"We have also delivered on the mandate that we were handed by the referendum result. Britain is leaving the European Union and there can be no turning back.
"And as we look to the future, the Government has the right plan for negotiating our new relationship with Europe.
"We want a deep and special partnership between a strong and successful European Union and a United Kingdom that is free to chart its own way in the world.
"That means we will regain control of our own money, our own laws and our own borders and we will be free to strike trade deals with old friends and new partners all around the world.
"This is the right approach, and it is in the national interest. But the other political parties oppose it.
"At this moment of enormous national significance there should be unity here in Westminster, but instead there is division. The country is coming together, but Westminster is not.
"In recent weeks Labour has threatened to vote against the final agreement we reach with the European Union. The Liberal Democrats have said they want to grind the business of government to a standstill.
"The Scottish National Party say they will vote against the legislation that formally repeals Britain's membership of the European Union. And unelected members of the House of Lords have vowed to fight us every step of the way.
"Our opponents believe because the government's majority is so small, that our resolve will weaken and that they can force us to change course. They are wrong.
"They underestimate our determination to get the job done and I am not prepared to let them endanger the security of millions of working people across the country.
"Because what they are doing jeopardises the work we must do to prepare for Brexit at home and it weakens the government's negotiating position in Europe.
"If we do not hold a general election now their political game-playing will continue, and the negotiations with the European Union will reach their most difficult stage in the run-up to the next scheduled election.
"Division in Westminster will risk our ability to make a success of Brexit and it will cause damaging uncertainty and instability to the country.
"So we need a general election and we need one now, because we have at this moment a one-off chance to get this done while the European Union agrees its negotiating position and before the detailed talks begin.
"I have only recently and reluctantly come to this conclusion. Since I became prime minister I have said that there should be no election until 2020, but now I have concluded that the only way to guarantee certainty and stability for the years ahead is to hold this election and seek your support for the decisions I must take.
"And so tomorrow I will move a motion in the House of Commons calling for a general election to be held on 8 June. That motion, as set out by the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act, will require a two-thirds majority of the House of Commons.
"So I have a simple challenge to the opposition parties, you have criticised the government's vision for Brexit, you have challenged our objectives, you have threatened to block the legislation we put before Parliament.
"This is your moment to show you mean it, to show you are not opposing the government for the sake of it, to show that you do not treat politics as a game.
"Let us tomorrow vote for an election, let us put forward our plans for Brexit and our alternative programmes for government and then let the people decide.
"And the decision facing the country will be all about leadership. It will be a choice between strong and stable leadership in the national interest, with me as your prime minister, or weak and unstable coalition government, led by Jeremy Corbyn, propped up by the Liberal Democrats, who want to reopen the divisions of the referendum, and Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP.
"Every vote for the Conservatives will make it harder for opposition politicians who want to stop me from getting the job done.
"Every vote for the Conservatives will make me stronger when I negotiate for Britain with the prime ministers, presidents and chancellors of the European Union.
"Every vote for the Conservatives means we can stick to our plan for a stronger Britain and take the right long-term decisions for a more secure future.
"It was with reluctance that I decided the country needs this election, but it is with strong conviction that I say it is necessary to secure the strong and stable leadership the country needs to see us through Brexit and beyond.
"So, tomorrow, let the House of Commons vote for an election, let everybody put forward their proposals for Brexit and their programmes for government, and let us remove the risk of uncertainty and instability and continue to give the country the strong and stable leadership it demands."

‎"Damaged people are dangerous because we know we can survive"

null_n_void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
whirlpools

I feel like I've lost the plot with what to understand about all this. I'll just be wary of any of their emotive language.

I'm very dubious that May ever intended to stay. She's been in the shadows (I found her bizarrely and conspicuously 'absent' after the Westminster attack, particularly) and hasn't really been a leader. Strange that she's announced this just after Article 50.

Who knows where this is going to go? It's a mess. Politics has sure as hell been weird these last years. I just hope we have a soft Brexit so the younger generation has the chance to leave Britain in the future, as (all just imo, really) other European countries continue to surpass us.

But, as I say, I know nothing and trust no one *shifty look*.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
non volo
Britain is Dead

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlpools View Post
Strange that she's announced this just after Article 50.
This is probably why she had to, she was voted leader of the party by her own but she personally was never voted for by the people and if she wins, then nobody can say the brexit was done by an unelected PM.

Doing it now also pretty much guarantees a tory gov until at least 2022 because let's face it, what other party can win? Labour? not without Scotland (who will most likely vote SNP) they can't and definitely not with Corbyn in charge.
That pretty much leaves only the Lib dems but unless they can come up with a strong message like a guarantee they will reverse the Article.50 decision and take Scotland away from the SNP which is a big ask but not impossible (as we mostly don't want another indyref that Sturgeon is banging on about) so that's probably the only hope for a non tory gov.

non volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
whirlpools

Quote:
Originally Posted by non volo View Post
This is probably why she had to, she was voted leader of the party by her own but she personally was never voted for by the people and if she wins, then nobody can say the brexit was done by an unelected PM.

Doing it now also pretty much guarantees a tory gov until at least 2022 because let's face it, what other party can win? Labour? not without Scotland (who will most likely vote SNP) they can't and definitely not with Corbyn in charge.
That pretty much leaves only the Lib dems but unless they can come up with a strong message like a guarantee they will reverse the Article.50 decision and take Scotland away from the SNP which is a big ask but not impossible (as we mostly don't want another indyref that Sturgeon is banging on about) so that's probably the only hope for a non tory gov.
there's no escape!

Edit: Sorry, probably didn't need to quote your whole post there.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 02:48 AM   #5
Isoverity

I am currently:

According to Independent, Conservatives are on track to get twice as many seats as Labour. I saw a Labour advert seeking potential candidates - on Twitter.

With France rejecting major parties, and Turkey turning tyrannical (I recall Germans looking to Turkey to help fill EU void left by Brexit) I think Scotland looking to join EU would be quite a folly.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
non volo
Britain is Dead

I am currently:

I'd be very surprised if Labour gained anywhere instead of lost seats, Corbyn can't win and his party knows it, that's why I was saying it will come down to the Lib Dems for the only chance to stop a tory govt but sadly I do not see it happening as people will still vote for Labour and SNP etc... and in this election it's pretty much the same as voting for the tory party.

The right wing parties growing over Europe shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Refugees/migrants + terrorist attacks + fear factor = right wing growth.

I apologise for my lack of eloquence

non volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
HopeRises

Mmm it's a tough one. I think the only way the tories won't be in charge completely is having a minority government. I think that's what I am hoping will happen. I don't really see labour winning because I am not deliusional, although it would be nice. I have always liked corbyn I just hoped he wasn't the leader when the election came up because so many believe he won't be able to run the country. I shall still campaign for labour though over the next few months. More votes given to him means less votes given to the tories.

I mean I may just be all wrong about it. I really didn't see 'leave' being a thing. I didn't see Cameron getting in again either and got my hopes up so maybe this is all wrong too.

Time will tell.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
Iamcatbug
Cat

I know the election was only called last week, but so far in my home city, I have only seen any action from the Tory party in relation to canvassing/literature etc.

But that could be because the local headquarters are literally down the road from me.

I'll be honest, I don't know who to vote for yet, I need to look at what each party offers and all that.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
HopeRises

I haven't seen any campaigning in my area yet but we have council elections next week so maybe it will start after that.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)