RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Shellybelly

I am currently:
SI and Sterotypes

Many people who are ignorant on the subject of Self Injury say that SIers are all "emos" who wear black "emo" clothes and listen to "emo" music"...

I can't tell you how much I hate using that word.

I'd like to invite all of the SIers out there who are sporty, girly, popular, etc. to post here and represent that those who SI are not confined to a label, that it is a serious problem that affects all kinds of people.

BTW: i am not taking credit for this thread i read this question off of post secret by LoneMystic
so i just didn't want people to think i came up with this i just wanted to post it here cuz i thought it might be a good question i just want to hear people's thoughts

but i am
not popular but i am well known people know me
but they know me as the smart girl always ever since like 6th grade i've been known as the girl you should have as a partner cuz she's smart
i laugh and smile all the time and sometimes i don't have to fake it.
i wear my hair straight or curly and i dress idk causally i guess i don't wear bright colors but then again i don't where dark colors
i love to talk about really deep things and i just have like a bubbly personality
but people would never guess that at night i cry myself to sleep and that i do SI
that even with these people about me i feel so alone and i hate myself because of all this.

i hate also that they think that people who SI are white girls who are middle class
well i'm black i guess that a reason people would also be shocked i SI which they shouldn't because SI (OR any other problem) doesnt decriminate

so tell me what are you preppy, surfer, etc

Last edited by Shellybelly : 26-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Shellybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 26-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
l'il esky
Queen SockMonkey aka Holly :D

I am currently:

i would say im fairly popular, i certainly have a lot of friends, esp those at work who i care so much about and love to pieces and they love me back.

i am a very girly girl, i love pink. im independant but also very clingy (annoyingly so,well i annoy myself anyway) and need lots of love and attention

i LOVE make-up, mainly my eyeliner...always have some funky colour on.

known to those at work who dont know i sh as very clumpsy,
known to those at work who do know i sh, as a unhappy but caring person who damages her body, who is very clumsy and needs to be wraped in bubble wrap to protect herself.

EVERYBODY knows i cry ALOT

so completely oposite to the "steriotype" xx

this pic is so i can always remember jen who was my l'il sock monkey friend who has left ryl and i miss her!!!
xx

l'il esky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Stars

I am currently:

I like dance music aswel as rock and metal
Every week i go out on a sat night and every week i wear a dress and heels
I am easygoing and everyone thinks i am happy as i never show my true emotions!
I am the complete opposite of an 'emo'!

Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Shellybelly

I am currently:

i know what you guys mean and when i hear friends say oh man i accidently got cut oh look i'm emo it makes me so mad i want to say something but i'm scared if i try to defend it they might start asking questions so yea

Old 26-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

lol i am pretty much the complete opposit of the "emo" steriotype.

ive got got straight brown hair and brown eyes.
i dont wear makeup unless someone else puts it on for me lol mostly because i cant be bothered to.
i have a lot of friends.

im sarcastic, cynical, and a bit bitter. but i've also got a pretty good sense of humor that flatters it.i love to laugh and i smile alot. i also like to make other people laugh.

i wear bright colors, and jeans or sweatpants to class and a dress or highheels if im going out
i go out all the time, a big party girl. im the girl who drank too much at the party or the girl dancing like a maniac in the middle of the dancefloor at the bar with 2 drinks in her hand and hair everywhere.
im also the girl snapping her camera at innapropriate moments.
other times im quiet and really just wanna hang out with my cat.

i listen to everything.
beatles, james taylor, bob dylan, bob marley.. a lot of the 60s
im also a huge fan of flashy 80s music and i enjoy rocking out to 90s classics haha
i'll also listen to whatevers on on the radio and the "new scene" stuff.
any type of music is "music to my ears" haha

i guess you could say im "normal" i dont really fit into any catagory :)

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
lucygracelizabeth

I am currently:

yea im totally different than "emo" i have short semi-curly brown hair with blonde streaks and blue eyes...i love love love makeup and jewlrey and bright colors...i laugh alot about nothing...i wear jeans and a t-shirt or a nice top...besides the armwarmers i wear i'm soooo not emo!!!!!

“Each of us is a unique strand in the intricate web of life and here to make a contribution.” -

lucygracelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
invisible_lil_princess

I am currently:

yup i'm pretty much the girliest girly girl going. I love pink and glitery/sparkly things. Always have my make up on and hair straightened. I am known to most people as a bubbly, smilie happy go lucky sort of girl. I love most types of music but in my eyes you cant beat a bit of cheese classics. But behind the smiles and giggles... well yeah... but I definatly dont thing I fall into the emo steriotype xxx p.s sorry about any spelling mistakes i'm rubbish

Last edited by invisible_lil_princess : 26-08-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spellings

Promise me you'll see my tears when i cry... Because right now you dont see me at all...

invisible_lil_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
_plastic

People think that only a (middle class white girl) would be a SIer.

Well,thats a load of bullshit.

I have a lot of friends,I have funcky colorful clothes,i read alot,i go to university,I laugh a lot when i am out.And i am a self-injurer.

A little angel fell into my arms at the 7th of december 2010
xx Angel my babysisterxx

_plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
TinkerDebs
*hugs*

I am currently:

i'm known by many but dont se myself as populsar
just seem to knwo a lot of people
i am random! with my own style! that sometimes annoyingly gets copied! im independant, motivated and creative! i'm what many see as an unconvential Sier because many never would have said i'd land on that path
BUT I DID

The Soul Would Have No Rainbows If The Eyes Had Shed No Tears
[Laurel Burch]

Believe in yourself and your dreams. For when you do. You can achieve anything!

TinkerDebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Shellybelly

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _plastic View Post
People think that only a (middle class white girl) would be a SIer.

Well,thats a load of bullshit.

I have a lot of friends,I have funcky colorful clothes,i read alot,i go to university,I laugh a lot when i am out.And i am a self-injurer.

i also hate that
cuz like i said SI or any other problem doesn't dicriminate
but because i'm black (and you know the past of blacks) i should be happy cuz i have so many opportunities that my ancestor didn't

i can imagine my extended family if they found out they'd say "that's a white thing" or "you hang out with to many white ppl"

oh the ignorance

Old 26-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
eyes.wide.open

I am currently:

^ i hope no body would ever say that
SI does not discriminate
male female
any color, shape or size
its sad that it affects us all :(

"They say time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessons, but it is never gone." - Rose Kennedy

eyes.wide.open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Shellybelly

I am currently:

i know but sadly it does and i would do anything to take away some one elses pain i really do i just have a heart for others

Old 26-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
rockaroni
Captain Rainbow!!!

I am currently:

Hm. I don't really know if I fit a label, but I was once called a "grungerhippy", which is probably the most fitting I'll get. So not exactly emo. I am however, that middle class white young girl.

Wake me up before I change again
Remind me the story that I won't get insane
Tell me why it's always the same
Explain me the reason why I'm so much in pain.

rockaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
_plastic

This applies to EDs too.

People can be ignorant and mean,stay strong.

A little angel fell into my arms at the 7th of december 2010
xx Angel my babysisterxx

_plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Shellybelly

I am currently:

your right this does apply to ED's cuz i was never officially diagnoised with one ut i had some ...well interesting eating habits

and ED's also do not pick based on shape size color class etc

Old 26-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #16
Shellybelly

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaroni View Post
Hm. I don't really know if I fit a label, but I was once called a "grungerhippy", which is probably the most fitting I'll get. So not exactly emo. I am however, that middle class white young girl.

i'm sorry if that sounded wrong
i'm not sure if i offended you when i said that
i know there are middle class white girls who have situations that they cant control like the rest of us

research says that the typical SI'er is this description but

it just bothers me that society (like the media) thinks its only girls in that catagory when that's not the case
so that makes ppl ignorant becuase they dont realize that any situation does not discriminate
and they think it's weird when a black girl (me) does SI

Old 26-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
everybodysfoolx
its like trying to turn around on a one way street

I am currently:

im glad you made this thread. i was actually thinkin about this earlier, i dont fit the emo description at all.

my hairs always down and straight, make up is on all the time even lipgloss. im not popular but i no a few people. most people know me would say im the happy, cheery go with the flow kinda girl, who likes to go out and have a good time, get drunk dance and make an total idiot of myself. i guess they just know the mask really tthough.

"…Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win."
Stephen King

everybodysfoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #18
flying[star]

I hate to say it
But i about half fit the sterotype....

i love bright colors, but i wear a lot of black. and makeup -- less so in the summer because it runs.
i've got short layered hair (think emoboi) hair, but it's never been black
and i don't have a straightner (probably good thing) [then again.. that could be lumped into a totally different 'social group']
i'm quiet, but also beyond active

meh. sterotypes can't be juged either way. someone who seems "emo" might not cut, and people who seem like the total prep sometimes do

flying[star] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #19
Country Girl
~Rach~

I am currently:

i am 23, I am the middle class white girl, I am a teacher, I am a friend, I love to laugh and I smile a lot. if you don't know i SI, you wouldn't expect me to be a "cutter." I love helping people. You'l never cry alone in my presence. I love lots and trust few. I am the strong one to others, but to me i'm as weak as they come. I need reassurance. Probably not quite the sterotypical self injurer.

Country Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #20
bingie
Claudia,going mad

I am currently:

Well at school,college I was the "goth,skater" kid, My god not EMO! I understand they may have issues but they take so much time from people who actually need help. ERRGGG sorry they just make me angry

As for me I'm 22 now,happilly married and workin in an office. Definatly not your stereotype.

Thought I oughta bare my naked feelings
Thought I oughta tear the curtain down
I held the blade in trembling hands
Prepared to make it but just then the phone rang
I never had the nerve to make the final cut

bingie is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)