RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Eyes On U

I am currently:
Triggering (SI) - Doctors

for a long time now ive contemplated seeking professional help for my SI problems, but ive never actually had the guts to do it. i dont even know what to say, where to go, what to expect?

has anyone been and would they recommend it?

Eyes On U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
GreySkys
"I Didn't Want It To Get This Far...."

I am currently:

When my dad found out he dragged me straight to Alder Hey (UK) and told them what id been doing. So I had to wait in a waiting room and then they looked at them to see if they were infected. Then I got asked was this a suicide attepmt. I said no. Then they asked was I considering anything of the sort. I said no (I lied). They got me family councelling. I supose it worked a little but not much though.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Im breaking free from these memories.

GreySkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Eyes On U

I am currently:

no-one in my family knows and i dont rele plan on telling them, was it like a private pratice he took u to?

Old 20-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
in-a-pickle

I am currently:

Well dont for considering seeking help, hun, it's the first step to recovery.
I was in exactly the same position as you are now, and I went to my GP and talked about it.
She was very helpful, non-judgmental and understanding.
She talked through some plans with me, new steps to recovery etc, and the possibilities that were open to me as well.
My family didn't know, and they still don't. If you are mature enough, they are not obliged to tell your family either.
The fact you would be going to them by yourself in the first place should incdicate your maturity anyway.
I was 14 at the time :) (now i'm 15 lol)
If you want to speak to me about anything specifically, you can PM me anytime :)
Good luck,
Eloise x

in-a-pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
makedamnsure

I am currently:

roxie, you must live not that far from me if you went to alder hey. I have been to a psychiatrist (under duress) not specifically about SI but I found her really patronizing. I also saw my college counsellor once voluntarily but didn't really get on with her. Am now considering seeing someone else tho.

I think peoples experiences vary a huge amount, and I think in general the whole thing is better when you actually want help (as opposed to when parents force you) so definately give it a go. See your GP first if you get on ok with them and they should refer you to someone. If you don't like the first therapist you speak to you can always ask to change.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Wonderful.
Pathetic.

Hey =]
Are you from England? and how old are you?
I'm not being nosey, they are just kind of important to know in giving answers to confidentiality... if you are over 18, nobody can contact your parents, unless you are a serious risk to yourself. i.e talking about attempting suicide. If you are under 18, it is still likely that your confidentiality will be respected, although they may ask you if they can contact your parents... though I doubt they will, as long as you aren't a serious risk to yourself, I should think they will keep it between you and the doctor.
That is if you live in England... If you do, basically, I would suggest 100% go and ask for help, it is a big, scary step, but it's the biggest step towards recovery you could possibly make, because you are accepting that si is a problem and are ready to accept help.
The doctor you see (depending what they are like, and how well informed they are on si) will ask you questions, like what your mood is like, appetite etc, they will ask you where you si, why you think you do it, and they might ask to see some wounds, but you can simply say "No" if you don't feel comfortable, because it is not required. But they usually just want to see to make sure you are being 'safe' and that you don't have any infections etc.
Then depending what they think and your age, you will either be given medication and be told to come back in a week or 2, and probably referred onto a different service, first you will be assessed by somebody more well trained in mental health (probably a CPN) and they will either reffur you to CAMHS (Depending on age) or primary mental health services for councelling or CBT etc.
It all sounds scary, I know, but once you get into the services they can provide you constant support to help you get through whatever you are going through.

I would say go for it and what have you got to lose? =]
Good luck! I hope you make the right choice for yourself.
Take care and all the best.

~Beauty without intellence, is a materpiece painted on a napkin.~
Thank you for everything

Wonderful. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
xlaurenx

I am currently:

When my parents found out i had to see my gp the next morning. It was ok she was understanding and i showed her were i did it though i was not very keen on it. Sadly my mum came in with me though left when i showed my gp the cuts.

The second time i got dragged there ( well no choice really i had to) i completly refused to show my gp any even though she tried making me. And she accepted that i was not going to show her.

I have also been in a&e from alarge OD and there i got asked if i wantesd to kill myself etc things like that though with me the doctors apart from the consultant in charge of the ward that i was on after i had od were understanding and did not shout or anything though the consultant made me think he just though people like me who od etc were wasting there time but thats just one doctor the rest have been fine.

xlaurenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Wonderful.
Pathetic.

Also... I remember when I first went to my doctors and I wished I'd have been told exactly what to do, I know it sounds stupid but maybe you will find it helpful?

Call up the doctors, morning will probably be best... and just ask to book an appointment to see your doctor (or if you don't know who that is, ask for any), then tell them your name, and they will give you a time and a date and it's up to you whether that is okay for you or not...
Then when you get to the doctors, it is perhaps best to write a few things down if you feel that helps you, because sometimes the nerves get in the way of wanting to say something that is important for your doctor to know.
Remember to be open and honest, and ask questions if you don't understand something.

And don't let them fob you off. If they give you medication, and don't mention anything about therapy etc and you feel that it is something you need, SAY SOMETHING. 'Cause I was in that situation myself and ended up not going back for a year and made myself really ill. So make sure they give you the treatment you feel you need, not what is easiest for them...

Erm, yeah, I hope this was helpful. Lol.
If you have any more questions or anything, shoot. =]

~Beauty without intellence, is a materpiece painted on a napkin.~
Thank you for everything

Wonderful. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Eyes On U

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful. View Post
Hey =]
Are you from England? and how old are you?
I'm not being nosey, they are just kind of important to know in giving answers to confidentiality... if you are over 18, nobody can contact your parents, unless you are a serious risk to yourself. i.e talking about attempting suicide. If you are under 18, it is still likely that your confidentiality will be respected, although they may ask you if they can contact your parents... though I doubt they will, as long as you aren't a serious risk to yourself, I should think they will keep it between you and the doctor.
That is if you live in England... If you do, basically, I would suggest 100% go and ask for help, it is a big, scary step, but it's the biggest step towards recovery you could possibly make, because you are accepting that si is a problem and are ready to accept help.
The doctor you see (depending what they are like, and how well informed they are on si) will ask you questions, like what your mood is like, appetite etc, they will ask you where you si, why you think you do it, and they might ask to see some wounds, but you can simply say "No" if you don't feel comfortable, because it is not required. But they usually just want to see to make sure you are being 'safe' and that you don't have any infections etc.
Then depending what they think and your age, you will either be given medication and be told to come back in a week or 2, and probably referred onto a different service, first you will be assessed by somebody more well trained in mental health (probably a CPN) and they will either reffur you to CAMHS (Depending on age) or primary mental health services for councelling or CBT etc.
It all sounds scary, I know, but once you get into the services they can provide you constant support to help you get through whatever you are going through.

I would say go for it and what have you got to lose? =]
Good luck! I hope you make the right choice for yourself.
Take care and all the best.
yeah im from England, im 20. im not very keen on the idea of medication, i dont wanna rely on drugs or become addicited to anything. plus i dont wana have stuff that i could possibly use for OD. would i be able to take someone with me, like a partner?

Old 20-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Jodie3
Just keep swimming....

I am currently:

Hi, I am from the UK to and I was able to take my partner with me. They are only there to help you but you have to be honest for them to do that. That fact that you are 20 then they cant tell your rants or any 1 so dont worry about that. Sending you loads of strength

Jodie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

To get help, your best option is to speak to your GP. They have the ability to refer you on to appropriate sources. They will probably screen you for depression and if they think you have it offer you medication. The medication is non addcitive, its just that depression is caused by a chemical inbalnce in the brain and the meds help to fix the imbalance. But if you dont want medication you have the right to refuse it.

You will probably also be reffered to a counsellor to begin with. Once the refferal goes through they will see you once a week for a short while and if this dosnt help then go back to your doctor again.

You can take your partner along with you for support, thats not a problem.
Also, if you have trouble talking, you could write a short letter to your doctor to explain to save you freezing up on the day. When I first went I wrote a list of all the problems I was having (lack of sleep, moods, SH ect) and just handed her that.

Good luck
and if you want any more info pm me.

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Bitter_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #12
Eyes On U

I am currently:

so i went to the doctors today, i tried calling but the woman on the phone was so unhelpful i went down there in person. when i spoke 2 the woman at the front desk she told me i cudnt see my gp unless i wanted to wait until the 6th jan but she could book me in to see a different doctor if i wanted for tmoro so i took the booking. she asked me what it was for, i sed do i hav 2 tell u? she said yes, so i sed 'stress'...& she laughed in my face

iv never felt so humiliated my whole life, and i didnt even tell her half of what iv been doin 2 myself. i ran out of there and wen i found out i was gna b home alone all day n night...i SI'd bad...

so much for it suppose to help! how can i even tlk to a doctor afta tht

No one can see the pain that we hide, they're happy for us to keep it inside, our fear is our own; they don't want to know. Why should we involve them; why should it show.

Old 22-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #13
Jinxi

I am currently:

oohhh i hate doctors' secretaries... they can be such nosy wotsits who think they know it all (no offence to any nice ones out there...please come work at my surgery instead)
anywho... Hugs! sorry to hear it was that bad. it may seem even more daunting now but i really would recommend you continue with your plan to talk to a doctor. most of them nowadays have training/experience with how to work with people like us, so should be much more understanding than that woman. just make sure you plan what you want to say to the doctor first.
good luck with it! let us know how it goes :)

Free me.

One day we will all be free to fly into our own sunset
i need your love
'cause on my own
i don't feel strong enough

Jinxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #14
boosted_d16

hey you guys, Im "Eyes On U"'s partner and id just like to thank everyone for being so supportive and helpful. it means alot.

boosted_d16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #15
Eyes On U

I am currently:

umm so i went to the doctors...was so nervous before i went in n wen they called my name i wanted 2 run outa there!! i went n sat down, the doc asked why i was here...i cudnt speak so my boyfriend told him the basics of it. he asked me why, how often, using what, etc. the worst part of it all was when he was dictating it for his records...repeating it all. i was physically shaking it was so surreal hearing sum1 else saying it...made it feel so real. something tht u try to hide and keep, like a dirty secret, hearing it was the worst thing ive ever had to sit through my whole life.

neway hes referred me to a mental health psychiatrist so hopefully things will get better....

thanks 4 all ur help every1 (and a big thanku 2 my amazing boyfriend)

xx

No one can see the pain that we hide, they're happy for us to keep it inside, our fear is our own; they don't want to know. Why should we involve them; why should it show.

Old 23-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
makedamnsure

I am currently:

well done for going hun. hopefully now you can get the help you deserve. Let us know how things go with psych. x

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)