RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
April_xx

I am currently:
ME diagnosis

Hi,

I was diagnosed with ME last week and often feel that my identity consists of different diagnosis's at the moment and I really don't like it. I know i'm an individual, a daughter, a grandaughter and a cousin, although diagnosis after diagnosis is starting to make me feel uncomfortable. It's hard to explain why. I want to get better; I don't want all these conditions attached to me.

It's quite difficult to take in that I have ME and haven't really spoken to anyone else about it apart from the Consultant and my parents. It would be nice to speak to someone who also suffers from ME.

Also, another quick question. Does anyone else find they are extremely fatigued whilst taking anti-depressants? I know I have ME and a lot of the tiredness is likely to be because of that, although has anyone experienced extreme weakness and exhaustion whilst on an SRRI?

x

"If I’m honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all.”

April_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Hey

I am so sorry you have M.E.
Just rememeber you need to pace every activity you do from minor activities to major activities. Here's some basic information
http://www.actionforme.org.uk/get-in...eatment/pacing

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Hi Kerry dear <3

I'm sorry to hear about you being diagnosed, though hopefully it will mean they can help you the way you need. I know what you mean about the diagnosis, would it help if you referred to it in other ways that weren't "official"? You are more than just terms, as you've correctly identified. And if you do get caught up in the labels, maybe start labeling some of your strengths too - they are bound to outweigh the diagnoses.

I experience tiredness but I think it's more diet-related, it could be many things. There are many members here with M.E so I'm sure you'll find people who can relate. You may like to pop by this thread: The 'Chronic Illness' Support Thread.

Lovely to see you. Take care x
<3

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Zedebee
It's okay not to be okay

I am currently:

Hey Kerry =)

I don't have much more to add to the above posts. Anti depressants are know to make you feel quite tired and it can't help having the ME on top of it. Can you talk to your doctor about it? They might be able to change medication or offer some sort of supplements.

Zed X

The only time you will find real light is when you're searching in the dark..

Zedebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Rodolphus
#Azkafam

Hey lovely.

I have CFS/M.E also, so if you want to talk you're most welcome to PM me :)

It's important to focus on looking after yourself, both mentally and physically. Focus on the parts of you and your life that are not fixed with a diagnosis. Write 10 things about yourself here that are important to you that don't involve a diagnosis?

I was diagnosed in October 2010, and as mentioned, there are other members here who are going through the same thing, you're not alone.

Be patient with yourself <3

Now I'll play your ghost as my ace, whenever I'm led astray.
But I am actually good, can't help it if we're tilted.
I'm in my right place, don't be a downer.

Rodolphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolphus View Post
Write 10 things about yourself here that are important to you that don't involve a diagnosis?
I love this suggestion!

There are some anti-depressants which are sedating in character and some that are activating maybe switching to a more activating AD might help you speaking to your prescribing doctor would be a good idea.

Remember nothing really has changed about you, you are still you its just you have some lovable quirks that have fancy names. You are Kerry, a daughter, sister, friend. An extension to Rodolphus's idea quoted above maybe you could write a list and for each thing you can't do write something similar that you can do. Such as I can't go for long walks in the woods but I can wander round the garden. Or I can't manage a late night drinking with a group of friends but I can manage a mid afternoon coffee and chat with a friend. You may have limitations but there are alternatives out there.

Thinking of you x

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Between Two Lungs
And exhale.

I am currently:

Hi there,

Just wanted to leave some understanding and support. I myself have been struggling for a while with having a lot of different labels, I often forget that I'm a whole person, human etc.

I've had ME for about 3 years and was diagnosed 2.5 years ago - you are absolutely not alone in that sense. There are some lovely people on the Chronic Illness support thread that also have ME, as has been mentioned. Not sure I'd be much help, but happy to chat to you. :)

I'm not sure where you're from, but ME/CFS Australia is a brilliant support if you're Australian.. They also have a number of FB groups. And I think there's quite a few open ME/CFS groups around on FB which are often full of lovely, supportive people.

Sorry that's not very advicey!

Um, also agree with the above, you are still a whole, full person - the diagnoses are a part of your life but they do not have to define you. And so great you're keen for recovery but try to keep pacing in mind as you work to do so. Pacing would be my other top tip - it's much better to get into pacing rather than the boom/bust cycle.

My antidepressant terminology isn't great so forgive me, but I know I was on AD's a few weeks ago, and the GP called it an SSRI, (first time on AD's for me) and they made my fatigue dramatically worse - as described, really weak and exhausted, I just got so ill. Since I've come off them it's improved dramatically so it's possible they can effect in that way.. It may just be that AD in particular though, as my GP is going to start me on another once things have stabilised.

Thinking of you, it must be pretty overwhelming to have ME on top of other things. Not much else to say but offer hugs.
Take care. xx

The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving. I didn't want to destroy anything or anybody. I just wanted to slip quietly out the back door, without causing any fuss or consequences, and then not stop running until I reached Greenland.
Elizabeth Gilbert

Between Two Lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
The Stolen One
Caz

I am currently:

Hey :) I'm also diagnosed with M.E and more than happy to talk about it, just drop me a PM. I was diagnosed in August (or July... I forget!) 2012, still feels as though I'm coming to terms with it as a diagnosis, and I'm reasonably bad with it at the moment.
I relate to what you say about diagnoses.. I had a lot quickly a while ago and it just felt.. almost like people were labelling me as 'wrong' or 'abnormal' or something!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that keep your spirts up, it sucks but it does get easier and there's some lovely people on here with the same thing, let us help if we can

There will always be a happy ending. If its not happy then its not yet the end.
Spongebob

The Stolen One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
April_xx

I am currently:

Thank you ever so much for your thoughtful words.

I'm really not very well at the moment but i'll reply properly as soon as I can.

xxx

"If I’m honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all.”

April_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Tig

Thinking of you lovely. xx

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

I too suffer from M.E, you are far far from alone,
and as has been linked,
there is a Chronic Illness support thread in this part of the forum,
feel free to drop by there.

There are thousands and thousands of people who suffer from this devastating and horrible illness,
but you are not alone,
far far far from it,
just know that and take comfort in that and use that to your advantage.

The suggestion to;
"Write 10 things about yourself here that are important to you that don't involve a diagnosis"
is very, very good,
I think you should do that,
I think many of us should actually!
It's a very good suggestion.

I also take AD's and also an Anti Psychotic
- both of which worsen the fatigue/exhaustion symptoms of my M.E
[I say this as some people assume M.E is simply just tiredness/fatigue,
when it's really not,
as I'm sure those of us with M.E know!],
I don't have any advice on that, except to discuss it with the person who prescribed it,
maybe they could suggest something to help you with that,
but you're not alone in that either.

Here if you ever need someone who understands.
x

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)