RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
JaimeIsBroken
The Unfair Fight

I am currently:
A Survivors Bill Of Rights (I found this while googleing)

I was googling information in regards to sexual assault survivors and I came across this and I thought I would share it here.

Quote:
Preamble To A Survivors Bill Of Rights

We the Survivors of any form of abuse or assault in order to create a more just environment for healing, emotional support, peace of mind, and mental tranquility establish A Survivors Bill Of Rights to secure the blessings of happiness, emotional liberty, and survivor kinship for all survivors.

A Survivors Bill Of Rights

1) People shall make no negative interpretations of who is or isn't a survivor, nor shall any negative judgments be unduly placed upon the shoulders of a survivor.

2) A well intent support structure necessary for the security of a survivors emotional well being shall not be infringed.

3) No survivor in time of crisis or any other time shall have the undue burden of dealing with their emotions by themselves.

4) The rights of a survivor to secure their own peace of mind, cry out for support, and lean on the shoulders of others shall not be violated.

5) No survivor shall be pressured to answer any questions of others they don't feel comfortable answering or talking about. Nor shall any survivor be compelled by ones self or others to engage, read, or contribute to any discussion, conversation, or subject which that survivor isn't ready or chooses not to engage in.

6) In all criminal prosecutions the survivor shall not be put through an unfair, unjust, and cruel cross examination from the courts, prosecution, or assailants family and friends. Further all survivors shall be treated with the utmost respect, courtesy, and comforting manner by all parties involved and the accused shall be restricted from verbal, visual, mental, and physical intimidation towards the survivor.

7) In all cases in which the prosecution of the assailant has been deemed justified and found the assailant guilty of the crime of physical abuse, mental abuse, verbal abuse, sexual abuse, and/or rape, the survivor shall have the right to legal recourse and monetary compensation for pain and suffering, emotional distress, and reimbursement for any and all expenses as a result of medical, emotional, and mental well being rather it be temporary or ongoing. Further the courts shall enforce this compensation under penalty of further imprisonment of the assailant.

8) Excessive questioning, stress, and evasive examination shall not be imposed upon the survivor in a cruel and uncaring way.

9) These survivor rights shall never be misconstrued or improperly used to limit the rights of that survivor or other survivors.

10) The rights of a survivors personal information, privacy, and circumstances of their assault shall not be trampled upon or unfairly reported and scrutinized by the media rather it be in print, in digital format, on the radio, or on television.

The Ratification of A Survivors Bill Of Rights of all the survivors in the world, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Survivors Bill Of Rights. This is done in this forum by the Unanimous Consent of the Survivors present the Sixth Day of September in the Year of two thousand and eleven and of the well being of all survivors of the world. We have hereunto subscribed our Names,

Julia C
Wouldn't that be nice if this was the law.

JaimeIsBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 13-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
damagedsurvivor

Oh absolutely this would nice as a law and really should be. Rape survivors never get the respect that they should and that really makes me angry.

Think about all the cases out there that never get solved and about 90% of the reasons is statue of limitation. They really need to change that law so more survivors recover and move on without living in constant fear that it will happen again.

Libz (DriftedAway), Katie (Heaven Knows) and Sammy (StuckInReverse) are my daughters, Jo (On Edge) Savannah (#skittles#) and are my lil' sisters

damagedsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
JaimeIsBroken
The Unfair Fight

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richshine View Post
Oh absolutely this would nice as a law and really should be. Rape survivors never get the respect that they should and that really makes me angry.

Think about all the cases out there that never get solved and about 90% of the reasons is statue of limitation. They really need to change that law so more survivors recover and move on without living in constant fear that it will happen again.
The statute of limitations is an old law that needs to be changed. The purpose of that law was because over time memory fades and gets distorted. Nowadays with the advancements in forensic science statutes are antiquated.

Another thing is there aren't enough protection for the victim and they too often feel like they are the once on trial and that discourages people from coming forward and reporting. We already feel so ashamed and most of us can't handle facing further shame from the very courts who are there to protect us.

Old 13-09-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
damagedsurvivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime*Is*Broken View Post
The statute of limitations is an old law that needs to be changed. The purpose of that law was because over time memory fades and gets distorted. Nowadays with the advancements in forensic science statutes are antiquated.

Another thing is there aren't enough protection for the victim and they too often feel like they are the once on trial and that discourages people from coming forward and reporting. We already feel so ashamed and most of us can't handle facing further shame from the very courts who are there to protect us.
Yes it definitely needs to be changed and I really wish they would too. Ive noticed that a lot of rape kits get destroyed because of how they are stored. They also need more people out there that can handle all these cases and make sure that the survivors get their justice.

You know Ive notice that if you are raped you are a survivor but if you are abused or hit you are a victim. See that always confused me since Ive been both, but truthfully Im a survivor for all of it. I will never ever be a victim.

Libz (DriftedAway), Katie (Heaven Knows) and Sammy (StuckInReverse) are my daughters, Jo (On Edge) Savannah (#skittles#) and are my lil' sisters

Old 13-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
JaimeIsBroken
The Unfair Fight

I am currently:

Quote:
You know Ive notice that if you are raped you are a survivor but if you are abused or hit you are a victim. See that always confused me since Ive been both, but truthfully Im a survivor for all of it. I will never ever be a victim.
From all that I have read a survivor seems to be anyone who has survived abuse of any form. I think most people just tend to associate sexual assault victims to survivorship because our head tells us that it is a worse form of abuse. When you think about it though the emotional abuse that goes along with all forms of abuse is the hard, difficult thing to deal with. So in MHO all abuse victims are in fact survivors as long as they don't let their own emotions defeat them.

You aren't a survivor because you were abused sexually too, but because you havn't let any of your abuse defeat you.

Old 13-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
damagedsurvivor

Quote:
From all that I have read a survivor seems to be anyone who has survived abuse of any form. I think most people just tend to associate sexual assault victims to survivorship because our head tells us that it is a worse form of abuse. When you think about it though the emotional abuse that goes along with all forms of abuse is the hard, difficult thing to deal with. So in MHO all abuse victims are in fact survivors as long as they don't let their own emotions defeat them.

You aren't a survivor because you were abused sexually too, but because you havn't let any of your abuse defeat you.
Wow you really have been doing a lot of reading. Well I havent let my emotions defeat me atleast I dont think I have. Hmmmm maybe I should go to bed Im not thinking to straight. Im just really afraid to sleep. I know he's out there. I dont know how to explain it but I can feel it.

Old 13-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
JaimeIsBroken
The Unfair Fight

I am currently:

Quote:
Wow you really have been doing a lot of reading. Well I havent let my emotions defeat me atleast I dont think I have. Hmmmm maybe I should go to bed Im not thinking to straight. Im just really afraid to sleep. I know he's out there. I dont know how to explain it but I can feel it.
Sleep good and you are a survivor. I hope you stay safe. ((hug))

Old 13-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
DestinyInPain
Nutter in disguise

I am currently:

that should be the law.
it's a shame that we live in a world where you get compensation for tripping in the playground but not for being the survivor of abuse.

// Enter Signature Here\\

DestinyInPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
sosew96
I'm not as sad as I used to be.

I am currently:

This post gives me hope for the world, even though most people do not follow this and underestimate the emotional toll of abuse and assualt. They forever change you.

"Monsters are real, ghosts are too. They live inside us and sometimes they win."

sosew96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
damagedsurvivor

Yes I know there are so many people who just dont want to listen or follows these rights. It's amazing the way abuse and assault survivors are treated nowadays. It really makes me sick.

Thanks Jaime Im trying to stay safe but I know he's watching me. I feel like I cant even leave my house any more. I wish the police would do something but they wont until he makes a move.

Old 13-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Sarahloubee
Loving Everyone.

I am currently:

I've never felt worthy of being called a survivor. So many people told me that I what happened to me was normal. I never know. I feel abused but am I really?
I just don't know. It makes me doubt myself

Let go when you’re hurting too much,
give up when love isn’t enough and
move on when things are not like before.
There is someone out there who will love you even more,
surely then, you will know
true love.

Sarahloubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
JaimeIsBroken
The Unfair Fight

I am currently:

I'm glad by sharing this I may have helped.

Quote:
Thanks Jaime Im trying to stay safe but I know he's watching me. I feel like I cant even leave my house any more. I wish the police would do something but they wont until he makes a move.
Well, just stay strong and keep your eye open. If you see him, call and report it. They likely won't arrest him unless he does something but if you report him each time you see him in a place he shouldn't be it will show a pattern if something (God forbid) does happen.

My Blog - My Unfair Fight

Old 13-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
damagedsurvivor

Quote:
I'm glad by sharing this I may have helped.

Well, just stay strong and keep your eye open. If you see him, call and report it. They likely won't arrest him unless he does something but if you report him each time you see him in a place he shouldn't be it will show a pattern if something (God forbid) does happen.
It's hard to report it to the police because I live in a small town and only how a residential state trooper who only likes to sit at dunkin donuts and drink his free coffee. I can call the state police if I really have to. I just hope it never does because I dont think I could go through it a 3rd time

Old 20-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
GraveSong
I'm A Lonely Girl I'll Tell The Tale For You

I am currently:

I like this :)

It's ok to do whatever you can to keep from hurting yourself.

GraveSong is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)