RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-05-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
BoundNoMore
feeling like a failure...

I am currently:
The "other forms of self harm" thread *replies could trigger*

This is our place to come and talk about our struggles that don't necessarily fit the "normal" criteria of self harm (cutting/burning).

Topics that can be discussed here include, but are in no way limited to...

* scratching
* hair pulling
* wound interference (picking scabs, etc)
* using anorexia and bulimia as a way to self harm
* hitting

It is my sincere hope that the creation of this thread, will help us realize that just because our struggles (with scratching, etc)
are much less talked about than cutting and burning, they are no less important.
I know from personal experience how lonely it can be to deal with this types of self harm...
sometimes it feels like you're the only one on the planet that does it... but I hope this thread will help us realize we are not alone.

Let's talk about it... and break the silence about other forms of self harm.

[Moderator Edit: Please read the following rules carefully and abide by it when posting]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rules.
Please do not share any information on methods to self-harm or any tips, including the best ways/places to self-harm. Discussion of techniques that people have not yet heard of encourages them to then go and try them and must be avoided at all times. Information on scar reduction and preventing / reducing the risk of infection, however, are very much allowed and encouraged.

For example : "I find it works best when I do ...", "If you cut yourself on your XXX then even your doctor wouldnt see it" , “If I took X amount of pills – would it kill me?”.

Last edited by Snow White. : 30-05-2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: including rule. x
BoundNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
-Shae-Lynn*
Laugh often. Dream big. Reach for the stars!!

That is such a great idea!
I've seen a lot of people saying how they don't feel like they deserve to post because they aren't doing it "bad enough" (i.e not cutting of burning). I used to scratch, but it excilated to cutting/burning.
Another one is choking. I got into that for a while...

Anyways... Great Idea:D

It's the children the world almost breaks that grow up to save it.
-Frank Warren

-Shae-Lynn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
greenspot

I am currently:

oh my god haha this is a great idea. I always feel like i dont desrve to be here because i scratch. I have a lot of issues with scratching first aid because with that i usually take off like a layer of skin and i can never figure out what to do to keep them from getting infected... Anyways really good idea

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle."
-Plato

greenspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
BoundNoMore

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspot View Post
I always feel like i dont desrve to be here because i scratch.
Everyone deserves to be here. (((hugs)))

P.S.
I scratch too

We're all in the same game;
Just different levels.
Dealing with the same hell;
Just different demons.

Old 29-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

Hello amanda :)
i pull my eyelashes and eyebrow hairs out, like, chronically. i know there's a word for it, but i cant remember it.
don't ever start this! patches of no eyelashes are really obvious and weird looking and annoying when you want to wear eye makeup

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
BoundNoMore

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by effervescence View Post
i pull my eyelashes and eyebrow hairs out, like, chronically. i know there's a word for it, but i cant remember it.
it's "Trichotillomania"

Just different levels.
Just different demons.

Old 29-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
MidnightApology
Somehow now you're everybody's fool.

I am currently:

That's a really good idea :)

Well right at the start I scratched myself.. I cut mostly now, but when I stop for long periods of time for whatever reason, I just punch brick walls or hardback books.. The only problem is it's pretty obvious & it's hard to find excuses for how you've got bleeding knuckles.

It's too late to change your mind
even though this fragile world is tearing apart at the seams.
You can't wash these sins away
this sinking feeling every day
I'm waking up in someone else's life.

MidnightApology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound by Thoughts View Post
This is our place to come and talk about our struggles that don't necessarily fit the "normal" criteria of self harm (cutting/burning).

Topics that can be discussed here include, but are in no way limited to...

* scratching
* hair pulling
* wound interference (picking scabs, etc)
* using anorexia and bulimia as a way to self harm
* hitting

It is my sincere hope that the creation of this thread, will help us realize that just because our struggles (with scratching, etc) are much less talked about than cutting and burning, they are no less important.
I know from personal experience how lonely it can be to deal with this types of self harm...
sometimes it feels like you're the only one on the planet that does it... but I hope this thread will help us realize we are not alone.

Let's talk about it... and break the silence about other forms of self harm.

I think that is the most important thing. No one should feel like they aren't important or it's not as serious because it doesn't require stitches or something like that.

Personally, I scratch quite a lot, and walls have been known to get in my way from time to time. I also have issues with food and restrict as a means of coping, not necessarily self-harm, but probably could be classed as that too.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
Gizzy

If it's not been mentioned in the replies, then I tend to bite myself if I get desperate. Definately a form of self harm.

Gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound by Thoughts View Post
it's "Trichotillomania"
that's the one. a tongue-twister if ever i saw one

so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

Old 29-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
Katch

I am currently:

Thanks for this thread. it never seems so severe to say 'I'm going to hit myself' as it does to say ' i'm going to cut' but the feelings behind it are just as bad and just as painful - i don't have so many scars but i have lots of bumps and grissly bits especially on my arms and broken red veins on my face - that's my reminder.
I do cut and have od'd a fair few times but my main thing is hitting and has been since i was little. It really is the thing that means the most to me - even if I cut i then have to hit to make it feel ok. and it's not just hitting - it's really hitting - the more the better - each event goes on a few days - something like everytime i walk in my room i have to do 12 hits - i've had several broken bones - and each excuse i use is alwasy beleived - i guess people could never think you could do that to yourself.

Loneliness with or without people, a feeling that comes from inside
Unable to show your true feelings, Unaware of the things that you hide
A life built around a pretending, feeling things that you think you should feel
A life unaware of it’s ending – is there a chance it could ever turn real?

My Lovely Daughters: Reason[TO]Believe, Bound by Thoughts, and Kija. My Little Sisters: Automatik Teknicolour and Pomegranate. My Big Sister: Lil-Princess. My Neice: forever_lost*

Katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 12:55 AM   #12
Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by effervescence View Post
i pull my eyelashes and eyebrow hairs out, like, chronically.
me too! i've done it since i was really little and it's weird how much of a habit it is.

i think this thread is a great idea! other forms of self-injury really aren't any less 'bad' just because the damage may be less...the mental part of it is still the same...SI is SI. a lot of times when i'm trying not to cut, i hit myself, or sometimes bite or scratch.

Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 03:29 AM   #13
BoundNoMore

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu View Post
other forms of self-injury really aren't any less 'bad' just because the damage may be less...the mental part of it is still the same...SI is SI.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Just different levels.
Just different demons.

Old 30-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #14
Wonderland.

^^same
Quote:
If it's not been mentioned in the replies, then I tend to bite myself if I get desperate. Definately a form of self harm.
I do that too and punch myself and stuff.

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 04:36 AM   #15
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

While I certainly support a place for members with 'other forms of self harm' to be able to get support; please try not to give any tipsharing information out in this [or in any other] threads.

Therefore, please read the following rule carefully:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rules.
Please do not share any information on methods to self-harm or any tips, including the best ways/places to self-harm. Discussion of techniques that people have not yet heard of encourages them to then go and try them and must be avoided at all times. Information on scar reduction and preventing / reducing the risk of infection, however, are very much allowed and encouraged.

For example : "I find it works best when I do ...", "If you cut yourself on your XXX then even your doctor wouldnt see it" , “If I took X amount of pills – would it kill me?”.

I will also be adding it to the original post, so we can keep this a safe environment for all our members.

Thanks, guys!
Aimee x

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 07:25 AM   #16
peanutbutter

I am currently:

this might be a silly question but do your eyelashes grow back?

I don't run from you. I walk away slowly and it kills me because you don't care enough to stop me.

I want to be remembered as the girl who always smiles, the one who would brighten your day even if she couldn't brighten her own.

Sometimes people put up walls not to keep others out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down.

peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

i don't know if i should answer on here in case it's seen as encouragement or tip sharing or something.....
sorry.
:)

so must you know pain.

Old 30-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

... do they? You can answer, I'm relatively sure it's not encouraging or tipsharing. I liken it to "do scars fade?"

Plus, I pluck mine all the time when I'm bored, I'd be interested to know.

[But, thank you! for being careful with the rules!]

Snow White. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 10:44 AM   #19
Nicholas

I would imagine eyelashes grow back, I mean, they'll fall out on their own, and you don't loose all of them.

Nice thread btw, the list is kind of reassuring.

The release some people feel from purging has only been in one thread I've read as of yet, but I definatley relate to that. Different to cutting, for me. It's ...like I said, reassuring to know it's not just you.

This is a gift, it comes with a price
Who is the lamb and who is the knife
Midas is king and he holds me so tight
And turns me to gold in the sunlight

And in the spring I shed my skin
And it blows away with the changing wind
The waters turn from blue to red
As towards the sky I offer it

Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
Tuesday

yeah, they do grow back. people used to tell me that they wouldn't, but since i kind of pulled practically all of them out quite a few times, i know for sure now, they do grow back :P sometimes it can take a while, or they may be shorter than before for a while, but it's not permanent.

Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)