RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #41
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

I watched it, partly to see how mich the unit had changed since I was there (loads!). It takes in people from all across lancashire/greater manchester so not completely a inner city unit as young people come from within quite a wide area.
I do hope all the people in it are doing better by the end. I thought it was well done, they looked at a few people and showed both sides (the good and the bad)....I was still amazed at how much it had changed since I was there, nearly spat my drink out when they called it a temporary unit! Its been used as an ip camhs since the 90's!

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #42
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Watching it. It is good, but it is very triggery pretty much regardless of your history I'd say.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #43
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

Good to know I wasn't the only one that found it triggering.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #44
Stellata

Not triggering for me, but it's making me cry.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #45
The Stolen One
Caz

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaiporia View Post
but it is very triggery pretty much regardless of your history I'd say.
Agreed!

There will always be a happy ending. If its not happy then its not yet the end.
Spongebob

The Stolen One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #46
fragile as glass
such a beautiful disaster

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow_Dash View Post
There's a way to watch it online if you are not in UK but not sure I should say.

I think if you really want to watch it you'll find a way so saying how isn't an issue I would have thought.

I don't know whether anyone else feels like this, but now I don't really have mental health problems (fought them off & recovered, basically), sometimes I wish I still did have problems. Life was more exciting, you know. Haha.
Thats really sad to have that viewpoint. I would love to be well but half my diagnosis you can't cure. I hope you were being sarcastic in a way.

GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE
THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

Don't let the sphincter's get you down

fragile as glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #47
Foxtrot Oscar

I am currently:

I was disappointed. For me it lacked depth and was a missed opportunity to demystify some of the issues involved. Maybe that will change in the remaining two episodes?

Sir Phillip: Veg-a-ta-pal extraordinaire!

Foxtrot Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #48
fragile as glass

I am currently:

I do have bi-polar and I have known other bi-polars not take their tablets because they want to stay high, they don't want that flat line or deep depression. Only problem with mania is the things you do and the sometimes real bad consequences of it.

Yeah I hope I get to a better place. Thats why this series interests me so much, seeing what adolescent units are like today compared to when I was in them in the 90's.

Old 25-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #49
DontLookUp
Saffyx

I am currently:

It was really good, but yes triggering with the eating and SH.
I did also feel in a way jealous, wishing i had been helped and that i was able to speak so openly about mental illness like was done in the program instead of locking it all away, because then i dont think i would still be in the mess i am (selfishness over.)
I liked though that it really does show that its normal people experiencing these MH problems and i hope the world will really get this someday.

♥ .I'm going to fall like I don't need saving. ♥
...My smile's just the armour I built when I was alone...

There was some part of me that hurt so badly, that I wouldn't ever be able to forget it.
It faded but the memories could bring it back any second, keeping me in the moment.
It would never fully heal. I could never really be free. I could never really be fixed.
Now I just have to work out how to live whilst being broken.
I feel like I'm dying.

DontLookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #50
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaiporia View Post
Watching it. It is good, but it is very triggery pretty much regardless of your history I'd say.
This.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #51
Soviette

I am currently:

That was a good documentary. Look forward to watching the other episodes. I was shortly in a MH unit when I was 17, Adult Services rather than CAMHS though due to no beds in a CAMHS unit, but I can't really relate to it, I was thrown in with lots of people who were mainly 50+ or something, which I suppose is why.

And I agree, I would like to see a male perspective and I would agree that a documentary on an Adult ward would be quite interesting - maybe this is just me but there seems to be an attitude that only teens have mental issues such as those portrayed in the documentary and once you hit 20 you should be "past that phase" though it's sadly not the case for everyone.

Soviette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #52
HopeRises

I watched it on iplayer this evening. To be honest I don't know what I thought about it. Kinda made me miss my ed especially.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #53
TimesLikeThese

Got to agree with most of the people here. Thought it was good, but triggering. The unit is very similar to the two I went to so it brought back memories - some good, some not so good.

Looking forward to seeing the next episode though.

TimesLikeThese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 02:32 AM   #54
Freak3142
All talk no walk!

I am currently:

Will have to wait till a torrent comes out or it is shown in Oz! :(

There is no life for us apart from the ones we make for ourselves!
So get making!

Freak3142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #55
fragile as glass

I am currently:

I always felt that once you hit 18 or 25 you kinda get forgotton about. Before my family dumped me I used to have rows with my dad at why he worked for a self harm website for 'young people' (i.e. up to 25) when his own daughter was older than that and needed support and that he should be an ambassador for people of any age suffering from SH (he has a doctorate in psychotherapy bla bla).

There really seems to be a shortfall of help for over 18's/25's. And a shortfall of documentaries on adult psych places. I mean, Rhodes Farm (an adolescent 7-17 year old age range ED unit) pumps out documentaries.

Old 26-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #56
Faulty item

I never watched it, but i dont think i would of felt comfortable being flimed at the times i have been a patient on an adult ward. Not sure if it would of been comfortable for viewers either with what went on violence etc. i read someone said about the alarm sound, you know with that sound somethings kicking off with staff rushing from different units.

Last edited by Faulty item : 26-06-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Units instead of ward
Faulty item is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #57
Freak3142
All talk no walk!

I am currently:

Thanks to Rhuben who showed me where to watch it.
Found it very interesting, I wasn't triggered but then again I rarely do when it comes to other people, my life triggers me.
I did enjoy (wrong word) it, well I found it interesting and especially that the BBC have put it on, the fact it is on demystifies MH in itself. I think 5/10 years ago this wouldn't have been shot or shown on the BBC, it might have been put on channel 5 with a very different spin on it. At least the BBC have done it very sensibly, talking about the future struggles people have, if only for a few moments.

There is no life for us apart from the ones we make for ourselves!
So get making!

Freak3142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #58
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile as glass View Post
I always felt that once you hit 18 or 25 you kinda get forgotton about. .
I agree there can be less media coverage/recognition for adults but I think it is also important to remember that adolescents and children can also get overlooked in services as people can assume they are just going through a 'phase' they will 'grow out of' and being patronised in that way. Personally I have been far more listened to since I was an adult (depending on area I grant you) than when I was younger and in the CAMHS system and adolescent unit.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #59
insidemyhead
time traveller

I am currently:

I watched it on I think it was well portrayed but reared ugly memories for me. I generally don't know how I feel about it it makes me feel very uncomfortable as I don't know if its fair on the kids they're showing I know there is concpsent but are they really in right state of mind to consent to something like this that's set in stone and will rear its head on tv. Part of it could be they recover and look back thinking 'oh look how far I've come' but if I saw footage of me in my psych ward I'd be mortified and deeply upset memories are bad enough but to see it on screen would destroy me. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post
I agree there can be less media coverage/recognition for adults but I think it is also important to remember that adolescents and children can also get overlooked in services as people can assume they are just going through a 'phase' they will 'grow out of' and being patronised in that way. Personally I have been far more listened to since I was an adult (depending on area I grant you) than when I was younger and in the CAMHS system and adolescent unit.
This I was treated appallingly in CAMHS wasn't taken seriously until adult services and I'm listened to now and respected as a person there was a lot of patronising, condescending and snide remarks in CAMHS I don't get that with adult services. (But I also know I'm very lucky and that mh services for adults can be awful too.)

“There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.”

insidemyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #60
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

There has been some programmes on adult acute wards recently. For instance the day in the life of the NHS thing featured an adult ward, and there was a documentary last year about some people who were sectioned. If I remember correctly one was a doctor.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)