RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
EmmaM
Guinness World Record Holder

I am currently:
Triggering (SI) - Mum seeing old scars and new scars becoming more noticeable

I have a vest top on as I just got back from shopping (carrying four heavy shopping bags up three storeys to my top floor flat!) and changed into a vest top and shorts.
I was talking to my mum as I have a suspicious bruise on my collar bone which I don’t know how it got there it looks like a graze but has two spots near it and I joked it was a vampire bite, then my mother said
“You have a rash on your arm too?”
I said what?
“There all down your arm”
And I had to explain it was scars (not a rash at all) and she didn’t actually realise that I had them but she knows i've had psychiatric help for the past 6/7 years for self harming and anorexia.
(I am 23 now living in my own flat so I don't want them thinking I'm a risk or anything living on my own with my husband) so I said they were old scars but they are a couple of months old but my husband said to me a few days ago the scars on my arm which are genuinely old (scars from years back) are coming up more obvious recently.
Is this due to the weather? I have NO IDEA why they are becoming more obvious, my scars are not purple they are white/lighter then my normal skin tone so I don’t know why they seem to be more obvious then they were a year or two years ago.
I've been self harming (burning and cutting) for 10 years in august/september and I've never noticed this happen before.
ANYONE?

Last edited by EmmaM : 10-06-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: adding more info

EmmaM is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 10-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
ghosts in the machine
coimeádaí rún

I am currently:

It could be due to the weather - I know my scars get hot/red/itchy during the summer and purple/achey in the winter, although they're white(ish) the rest of the year. Has this happened before in summer?

For those doubts that swirl all around us
For those lives that tear at the seams
We know… we’re not what we’ve seen

For this dance we’ll move with each other
There ain’t no other step than one foot
Right in front of the other

~ We're marching on... ~

ghosts in the machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
EmmaM

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxgothic_angelxx View Post
It could be due to the weather - I know my scars get hot/red/itchy during the summer and purple/achey in the winter, although they're white(ish) the rest of the year. Has this happened before in summer?
I havent noticed it getting worse before unless I am just used to it so I havent realised.
My husband was the one who pointed it out to me I guess I was so used to seeing scars which I've put onto myself that I've always seen them when they havent been THAT obvious to other people.

I have been self harming for 10 years in august/september and I've never noticed them getting worse over the summer, and I've been to Texas USA and Las Vegas in July/September when it's been much hotter there then in the UK and it didn't happen when I was out there.
Maybe my bodys just getting back to normal after lack of certain things when I had anorexia so my skin is paying the price

Old 10-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
someone-hiding
Free.

I am currently:

I've noticed that the older scars I have kind of...'stick out' and appear more prominent when it's really hot and humid.

x

Do it for those who know you can and for those who think you can’t.

someone-hiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
charcoal feathers

I am currently:

I find that the white scars stand out a lot more during the hotter months, obviously from getting a bit of a tan.
But if it's never happened before it seems a bit odd. hmm.
sorry, that really wasn't helpful at all.

charcoal feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
EmmaM

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charcoal feathers View Post
I find that the white scars stand out a lot more during the hotter months, obviously from getting a bit of a tan.
But if it's never happened before it seems a bit odd. hmm.
sorry, that really wasn't helpful at all.
HUmm, I probably did get it from the heat as I had just carried shopping up stairs and was really hot and sweaty.
I guess I've never had people point it out so blatently before so it took me back a bit today and when Andrew said it. I guess its just something I've never had before so I was just shocked.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
Devil Girl

I am currently:

I find that if it is hot weather or if I am in the shower my scars show up more and become a deeper pink/red. Also if I am holding heavy bags or leaning on my arms say like you do for press ups the scars show up a lot more....

Devil x

You made up your mind to torture mine!
If you read a scar like a book, you will relise the story in which you over look
red ribbons were weaving
upon the young girls skin.
a trail of red weaved deep,
caused by pain from within

Devil Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
Graphite
a ghost

I am currently:

mine stand out more in colder and hotter, turn like blushish in cold and just pale white in hot months lol. and they don't seem to tan as readily as skin *shrugs*

Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
Enelya
nemo ante mortem beatus

I am currently:

Hey!
I have already noticed my scars changing due to change in the weather!
Whenever it is really hot, they tend to become more visible. They seem to become lighter than the rest of my skin.
When it´s cold, it´s the other way around and my scars turn darker.
Kiss, Liz

"The opposite of love is not hate; it's indifference."
- Elie Wiesel

Enelya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #10
The Hierophant

when i get hot and sweaty my scars go abit more purple reddy and stand out more - the same when i'm cold i think it has something to do with blood rushing around the body.

hmmm

The Hierophant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #11
xbutterflyxkissesx
As Beautiful As Fire Against The Evening Sky

I am currently:

pretty much agree with everyone else, mine go purple and stand out in extreme temperature either hot or cold. but mine are bout 5 years old now and they are definately more raised in general than some newer ones. Some iv been luky wiv cos they completely disappeared. i think it just depends on your skin and the pigment and the type of cuts and immune system

*Lou*

Brothers and sisters
I'm right here with you
I am not afraid to keep on living
I am not afraid to walk this world alone
Becuase Im Alive And Im Never Going Back

xbutterflyxkissesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 AM   #12
Senzafine
Senzafine

I am currently:

I'm not sure if it's been said before or not, but I've also noticed that in hotter weather older scars/marks become more apparent - I do believe it's due to the blood rush. The same effect occurs after working out/physical activity. Blood rushing to the surface, hence why some people get red after the activity.
<3

-Senzafine

Il mio destino scelgo se riesco a resistere

Senzafine is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)