Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #61
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linder surprise View Post
what do people think about combining self-injury discussion with serious then? i thought that was the logical choice really since they are both triggering & about cutting/death/suicide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Aidey~ View Post
That is honestly probably the one combination I could see being successful and not causing a lot of problems. I know it has been discussed before, and there didn't seem to be a strong argument to keep them separate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenue View Post
I agree.
I agree tooo!!!!!

Does anyone know anyone who uses those boards regularly and could comment on it?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 01:05 AM   #62
TimesLikeThese

Although, would this lead to threads sliding off the pages because Serious and SID are both very busy forums?

Moved on. Take care.

TimesLikeThese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #63
linder surprise
vs. elvis.

I am currently:

they're not that busy, heh.
i think that many many more people will look at the forum if they were combined, it would give it more of a support atmosphere, people would feel more comfortable posting there, i think it will be really beneficial.

linder surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 01:31 AM   #64
Casper_Fading

I am currently:

If you really want to see how busy a forum is, mark is as forum read and wait 24 horus and go back and see how many posts and stuff have been made.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Old 24-11-2008, 01:43 AM   #65
Casper_Fading

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleutheros View Post
Don't really have any strong views on the matter, so just putting out some thoughts and ideas...

Self-Injury Discussion was supposed to be a board for debating ideas about self-injury, but that never really happened. Comparing it to Serious Discussion I see very little difference in the types of thread, so perhaps these could be combined?

News & Debates, Reviews and Recommendations are quite specific kinds of general conversation, and whilst they could be merged with General Chat, I feel that it is more effective to have them separate. General Chat is for silliness, birthday announcements, amusing tid-bits, News & Debates is for people who want meatier discussions and, well I never visit R&R but I guess it is diverting in a different way. Debate threads were strongly discouraged for years, but it was finally decided to allow them in a separate forum for those who really wanted that kind of thing, so it would seem a bit daft to merge it back into General Chat. I also think that General Chat would move far too quickly to be satisfying if it were to serve all three purposes and could be rather daunting to new members.

Some of the specific boards ARE very slow, but were they to be merged I believe that threads would fall off the front page very quickly, and people requiring support for those matters would lose out. The only way I could really see this working might be to change the emphasis of Self-Injury Discussion so that the focus is about "things we do to ourselves that are dfficult to stop" and merge that with Substance Abuse - with threads that have a different focus going into Serious Discussion, and then expand the remit of the Bereavement forum to include "major life events that really affect us"

The other thing that ocurred to me the last time we were asked about this would be to do something like take Serious Discussion, Self-Injury Discussion, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Discussion and create two or three forums out of them, but with a different emphasis. Not entirely sure how this might look though...

*toddles off*
Yesh.

- Dr. Seuss

Old 24-11-2008, 03:18 AM   #66
Freedom Fighter

there is no diference between sid and Serious

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 07:40 AM   #67
akita

I am currently:

The number of boards dont bother me.

akita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #68
The One Who

I am currently:

We could make one big board of serious, triggering threads, one of more general support/advice threads. What is stopping people from moving on to the next page to read the threads there if it drops off the front page? There's no difference between a thread being ignored in a busy forum and getting dropped off the front page and a thread getting no replies because the sub-forum is empty. Yes, it might take you a bit longer to go through threads instead of just looking down one page, but so what?

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #69
Arianwen

I am currently:

I don't know about merging self injury and serious boards. The thing is, that although both are triggering, at least on the SI board (if you venture on) you have a good idea of what the content of each most might be, whereas if you go onto serious, the topics are generally more about suicide. I know that, personally, I feel safe to read the SI board, but not the serious.

I don't know if anyone feels the same/agrees but that was just my thinking.

Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #70
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Right, my views.

Self Injury Discussion should be merged with Serious Discussion. There's not a lot of difference in what gets posted in either of those forums.

I quite like Mental Health Discussion & Support, but it also gets a lot of crossover posts with SI Disc / Serious. If MHD&S were to remain then I think it needs to be more focussed on mental health things and not general self harm posts or suicide related posts.

Substance Abuse can be merged back in with SI Disc/Serious.

The forum description for SI Disc actually includes recovery posts, so why then do we also have Moving Forward? Also, the whole site is supposed to be recovery orientated so having a specific recovery forum seems a bit weird. Moving Forward could be merged back with SI Disc/Serious.

Ranting & Venting should stay as it is. I think it works really well.

General Support & Advice gets a lot of posts that should be re-directed to the Mental Health disc forum- posts on anxiety and depression mainly. This needs more moderating and threads moved to MHD&S where necessary. General Support & Advice is supposed to be for non self harm related posts and I think should also be non mental health as that is what the MHD&S forum is for.

First Aid Discussion, as I have said previously, needs to be changed slightly. The board should remain in the listings, however it needs to be private. Any member should be able to post there, however once they have posted their thread remains private between them and the FAAs. I don't see why FA posts need to be public to the whole community.

Grief and Trauma- the trauma part seems to be too similar to abuse & bullying? Maybe the two of those could be merged.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #71
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

I agree with you completely, Sarah.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #72
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Substance abuse shouldnt be merged with SI discussion in my opinion.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #73
Tig

I agree with control freak :)

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #74
_plastic

I think the numbers of forums are fine !

Take care everybody xx

A little angel fell into my arms at the 7th of december 2010
xx Angel my babysisterxx

_plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #75
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
I think its perfectly fine as it is. Im totally against things being changed.
ditto, if boards were merged I personally would be put off going into a lot of the forums.
Like at the moment, sometimes I feel strong enought to go into sid or mh but not sd, if the three got merged i would not go into any of them.

It is fine as it is!

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

((deleted)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #76
Tears and Rain
Forum Mod.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by control freak View Post
Right, my views.

Self Injury Discussion should be merged with Serious Discussion. There's not a lot of difference in what gets posted in either of those forums.
Agreed there.

Quote:
I quite like Mental Health Discussion & Support, but it also gets a lot of crossover posts with SI Disc / Serious. If MHD&S were to remain then I think it needs to be more focussed on mental health things and not general self harm posts or suicide related posts.
I can't say i've ever ventured into this forum purely because of it's specificity. I'm not entirely sure where the line is between serious/sid and this forum and I think that if it were to stay separate that this does need to be outlined more, or just that it should be merged.

Quote:
The forum description for SI Disc actually includes recovery posts, so why then do we also have Moving Forward? Also, the whole site is supposed to be recovery orientated so having a specific recovery forum seems a bit weird. Moving Forward could be merged back with SI Disc/Serious.

Ranting & Venting should stay as it is. I think it works really well.
Very much agree with these, if it were to be merged back I agree to with a previous post I saw somewhere about maybe having a *positive* label?

Quote:
General Support & Advice gets a lot of posts that should be re-directed to the Mental Health disc forum- posts on anxiety and depression mainly. This needs more moderating and threads moved to MHD&S where necessary. General Support & Advice is supposed to be for non self harm related posts and I think should also be non mental health as that is what the MHD&S forum is for.
I think this then is another point on the 'forum descriptions' (which I know are being worked on), but where the lines cross and how to make them less confusing. Only from this post have I worked out that..

Serious = Triggering SI
SI = Triggering SI Disc
MHD&S = Triggering MentalHealth specific illnesses?
GS&A = Non triggering nothing to do with mental health?

And I feel like I should've been here long enough to understand this point? Having so many forums can make the point that mental health specifics shouldn't be in GS&A very confusing.. and I really didn't know this before reading this post myself. Anxiety - for example - [I don't think] is a triggering topic, so if I had ever posted about issues with this, I would have always posted it in GS&A..
In a nutshell I think GS&A and MHD&S cross over so much that it's possible they could be in some way combined/thought about.

Quote:
First Aid Discussion, as I have said previously, needs to be changed slightly. The board should remain in the listings, however it needs to be private. Any member should be able to post there, however once they have posted their thread remains private between them and the FAAs. I don't see why FA posts need to be public to the whole community.
Agree.

Quote:
Grief and Trauma- the trauma part seems to be too similar to abuse & bullying? Maybe the two of those could be merged.
I don't agree with this though.. I don't really understand how Grief and Trauma is really similar to Abuse & Bullying at all? I think that [specifically Grief & Trauma] should be merged into another forum though, because it really is a slow moving forum and honestly people do often post about the sort of 'issues' that would have been better posted in there, in the other forums.
A&B i'm not sure about.. I feel like it could be widely enough used not to be merged, but I do think that some sort of way to encourage other members to go in there should be thought about if possible?

//wherewasI?[Sorry I've quoted your whole post to put my thoughts into perspective Sarah :P]

"Be nice. Think happy thoughts. Champion silver linings. Love all things (not just cute things like babies and kittens) & when you do love - love like they do in power ballads (you know like on a cliff with the wind in your hair and your eyes shut, knowing you'll never know love like this). Watch out for dog poo. Smile at people - even grumpy ones. Remember anything is possible & whatever you do always try to look on the bright side."

Tears and Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #77
user_name

I am currently:

In relation to the FAA board remaining private. I do not agree. Sometimes people other than the FAA's know what to do. Sometimes (not often) and FAA may get something slightly wrong, and another member will notice and let them know.

If someone wants it private, PM's are the way forward!

I also like going into the First aid forum to see the advice. It's also good to see replies to things incase you have a similar problem, saves posting a whole new thread about it right?

user_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #78
whirlpools

i like it just the way it is. but then, i never did like change :)

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #79
Rawrk

I agree with Sarah on everything apart from the Grief & Trauma, where I agree with Alex.

Though, they are fine as they are at the moment, I think. (:

Old 24-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #80
Cazki
14/6/2007 -

I am currently:

To be honest im fed up with all the moaning thats been going on just lately. Specially the fact that there is too many forums thats ridiculous im afraid. Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course. But this is just ridiculous. If things change and forums get merged then i will be put off of coming to ryl and will not come here at all. I know this is only a discussion but if forums get merged then i think it will put alot of people off.

14/06/2007 -

Cazki is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)