RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Thank you all.

I am in the process of asking my advocate about what exactly to put into the email, but we're going to send the email to the head of department and/or someone I know well from the disability services.

I agree that schizophrenia is a tragic and devastating illness for most, if not all, but the stigma needs to be stopped, not spread. Now 50 or so students will think "people with schizophrenia are a threat and I must avoid them" or something like that, and then they'll pass on that false information to others.

I am also concerned that this lecturer is telling other lectures the same thing, as he doesn't only lecture one psychopharmacology class.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Maiden View Post
Now 50 or so students will think "people with schizophrenia are a threat and I must avoid them" or something like that, and then they'll pass on that false information to others.

I am also concerned that this lecturer is telling other lectures the same thing, as he doesn't only lecture one psychopharmacology class.
Not necessarily. People shouldn't just be swallowing what a lecturer says, they should be able to make up their own mind about things. Be critical with what you hear and read and then use that to form your own opinion.

I know that I wouldn't want to be around an unmedicated schizophrenic, in the same way I wouldn't really want to be around anyone with a severe mental illness who wasn't taking medication for it. Since this is a pharmacology class, I am guessing that the lecturer's opinion might be similar, ie. an unmedicated person can be dangerous.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #23
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Hey Oly

I can see why you are pissed off. But I agree you should email him. I had a teacher before who said something similar and i said that I didn't like her wording, and she said sorry.

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Today my lecturer was talking about the unabomber and said 'Ted Kaczynski was a paranoid schizophrenic, and this is the sort of thing they do...'

I was like. Seriously. And you got a first class degree?!

I'm really hoping it was just a miscommunication language wise as he is German and English is his... 3rd(?) language.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #25
Steel Maiden

The One Who - fair enough. I suppose that my black and white way of seeing the world is not helping.

Ami - I'm sorry to hear that your teacher said that. Thanks.

MeaCulpa - well what lecturer just totally overstepped the line (is that the right phrase? Sorry I'm not good at phrases). I think you should complain.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #26
Imperfect.Star

Quote:

In medicine it's normal to refer to 'schizophrenics' same as people with depression as 'depressives,' because it's the illness part of the person that is the topic they're being referred to within. They don't use these terms with intent to insult, lol. (Plus it's quicker to say / write or type)
Actually I have to point out that in medicine in particular you are not meant to refer to people like this. It often happens but it shouldn't.
People in medical fields should have a particular understanding of how people are not diagnoses and don't like to be referred to as such.

Oly, I'm sorry this happened. I think that the evidence is quite against this statement (unless he was referring to people with schizophrenia being more likely to cause harm to themselves than other people.) I can't remember exactly but I think the increased risk of violent crimes is marginal.

Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"

Imperfect.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
DarkPhoenix

I am currently:

Is it possible he might have said this to get the class to think? So that someone would say, "Wait a minute, this isn't true"?

Just a thought, I remember some professors when I was in college being really obnoxious in order to challenge people to think about why they believe what they believe.

DarkPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #28
Fry

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect.Star View Post
Actually I have to point out that in medicine in particular you are not meant to refer to people like this. It often happens but it shouldn't.
People in medical fields should have a particular understanding of how people are not diagnoses and don't like to be referred to as such.
That's interesting, thanks for the info.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #29
Imperfect.Star

^^ No worries - I can think of one teacher who would be very annoyed to hear us referring to people as 'schizophrenics', 'epileptics' etc. It was a big topic in our 'disability awareness' teaching.
As I said though it is very very common for people to still do it though, especially with things like asthma or diabetes - 'this is a 23 year old asthmatic' etc.

Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"

Imperfect.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #30
Isoverity

I am currently:

There are a lot of surveys and studies linking schizophrenia and a higher rate of violence. I'll link some latter.

When I think of the topic I am reminded of a guy from my neighborhood. He was a smart guy. A valedictorian of his class and a presidential appointee to West Point (only 10 of those in the whole country each year). He ended-up going to Stanford on a full scholarship.

A few years after his graduation I was talking to him in front of his home. Out of the blue, he started to tell me about how aliens were communicating to him via imagery on a t-shirt someone was wearing. He told me aliens communicated with him often. He was dead serious, and it was one of the more interesting moments in conversations with people I ever had lol.

He also told me how people across the street were cryptically communicating to him by the way they were sweeping their stairs. This guy was reading secret meanings into very basic actions.

He began to feel hostile toward people, and thought the state governor was out to get him (we both knew the governor personally). He started looking into guns and was turning his home into a fort.

He started to turn on me about old, junky exercise equipment he gave me years before when he was clearing out his garage. He said he had only loaned the items to me and I was to give them back. I did so once I found them (they were just plates/weights I never even used).

While at his home he was agitated and hostile about many things. I began to think if he doesn't get put in a hospital soon he was going to hurt someone. I told him this and he became livid. I told him he could fight me if he wanted and we could settle problems right there in his drive. He knew he would lose that one and settled down and told me to go away of he would call police. Of course I went away.

Just a week or so latter he got arrested because he went out at night and was breaking his neighbor's car windows. He went to jail and then to a hospital. That was the last I ever heard from him.

The interesting thing was that this guy was always Mr Meek and Mild. He wasn't becoming violent for sake of violence but because he really thought people were out to do him in.

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #31
Stellata

I think it's similar in lots of ways to PTSD, the fight-flight action is slightly different, of course though. Just, I'd be interested in the statistics for people with PTSD.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #32
startingagain

It is 9 years old, but have you read this report? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12042226

Have you thought of raising your concerns with the lecturer first before taking it further?

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #33
Freedom Fighter

I think it depends on the strand of the illness tbh

Quote:
In medicine it's normal to refer to 'schizophrenics' same as people with depression as 'depressives,' because it's the illness part of the person that is the topic they're being referred to within. They don't use these terms with intent to insult, lol. (Plus it's quicker to say / write or type)
This is very common in the literature available

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #34
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

^Yeah, like when you're trying to write a journal abstract and you've only got 100-200 words, you're more likely to say 'interviewed 20 Schizophrenics' than you are to say 'interviewed 20 people with diagnosed schizophrenia'.

Imperfection is underrated.

Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #35
consequential

To be fair,people who have no immediate authority on MH illnesses are likely to say the wrong thing.I know myself when I was much younger,I used to laugh at schizophrenics ,and of course then I got unwell.People just aren't well read on the topic,no matter how educated they might be.I am surrounded by the most intelligent people in university and you should hear some of the stuff they say every day.
I wouldn't complain,but be safe in the knowledge that we all know very well that Mh illness pinpoints the sufferer and not the people around them moreso.We can't blame the ignorance of the world on one offhand thing a person might say.I was out in a ngihtclub one night and this complete stranger said to me :' half the world has schizo'.I was like what does that mean? Like he couldn;t even say it right.people don't have a clue unless they have first hand knowledge of it regardless of their prior education.In saying that I definately don't agree with him.

It became like a sort of prison. Encased in a silver shell, words so full of bleeding need spilled like drops on dry leaves. And all the while laughter prevailed a long way from here. Nowhere land, nowhere time, nowhere space.

consequential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #36
Fry

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaCulpa View Post
^Yeah, like when you're trying to write a journal abstract and you've only got 100-200 words, you're more likely to say 'interviewed 20 Schizophrenics' than you are to say 'interviewed 20 people with diagnosed schizophrenia'.
Yeah, even regardless of word counts it's just easier to read and write, whatever the context.
I feel sorry for anyone who is that over-sensitive that they'd become put out or offended by something as insignificant as phraseology.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #37
Steel Maiden

I am going to leave the whole thing about complaining.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #38
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

I'm joining this thread a little late and I've only skimmed it, so my point may have already been mentioned:

I discussed this with my psychologist about a year ago (I'm not schizophrenic, but popular misconceptions about people with mental illnesses is a topic I've always enjoyed discussing), and he told me that people with schizophrenia (or any kind of mental illness, really) are far more likely to be attacked or victimized in some way than to attack someone themselves. I've seen the same thing mentioned in some articles, but I can't remember where.

Here's a lovely little quote from him: "I'd feel safer walking down a street full of paranoid schizophrenics than a street full of drunken teenage boys."

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #39
Stellata

^ I agree with him!

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #40
Steel Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen Dollar Eagle View Post
Here's a lovely little quote from him: "I'd feel safer walking down a street full of paranoid schizophrenics than a street full of drunken teenage boys."
VERY TRUE!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)