RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #81
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

I wonder why things here and there are so different. We’ve only had one lockdown (the first lockdown back in March) and apart from face masks everywhere and avoiding crowded public spaces (which aren’t really a thing atm anyway) everything is pretty much back to normal.

Weird considering how there are no physical barriers between Scotland and England, and you’d think we’d be in the same situation but we are definitely not.

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #82
nonperson

I am currently:

It's probably because England is a much bigger and a much more densely populated country, particularly around London where all the Tier 4 areas are now. The further north you go in England, the less populated it becomes so less likely for infection to be crossing into Scotland from here. Also, I might be wrong, weren't we banned from crossing into Scotland for a while?

Or maybe the people here are just more dumb. =/

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #83
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Are face masks the law there?

Having said that, Nicola also just announced a 3 week lockdown from boxing day for mainland Scotland, but I think thats mainly because theres a new strain of the virus and she doesn’t want it coming into the country. You are still technically banned from coming into the country (at least you will be from boxing day). My dad is moaning and complaining already.

Edit: I feel so alone with being happy about this. My dad has already called me names for changing plans (I was going up at new year). Am I the only person on the planet who feels this is a good thing?

Last edited by The Worst Witch : 19-12-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 19-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #84
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

I definitely agree with the changes and was also really upset about reducing restrictions over the holidays.

The second Lockdown ended way too early and I am also super confused about different approaches for Scotland and Wales and feel that it would be more logical to have the entire island under the same rules to discourage spreading and also to keep people from travelling to areas with less strict restrictions.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #85
nonperson

I am currently:

Yeah we have to wear face masks in shops and stuff.

I just heard about the new rules up there. I think the new strain is mostly in the south here from what I understand.

I think a lot of people are pleased for stricter rules being decided but angry that it should have been put in place sooner. I guess it depends how badly you wanted to see your dad. A lot of people here were looking forward to seeing family for Christmas so it's screwed a lot of people over.

Old 19-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #86
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I’m watching the final of strictly come dancing

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #87
nonperson

I am currently:

No one can see their families... but at least Strictly is on.

Old 19-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #88
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

I do think all the frustration is understandable because for some people their emotional wellbeing is tied to seeing family and friends etc and for some people the holidays are super important etc.
I get people being frustrated, I just don't understand why things have to become illegal before people realize it's risky. I've known since September that I wouldn't be traveling for the holidays and that I won't be going anywhere until around Easter if that.

That said, I admit that it is hard being rational and sensible with all of it because it's just been so long and we might have to do this for the foreseeable future and as a group humans are just not mentally built to live like this.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 19-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #89
Auror.
Camden

We don't have anything like a lockdown or rules here and I really really wish we did. I am also happy about a lot of it though as it gives me good reason to avoid my family and they cannot argue with it. I think it is actually harder for Lyra to not be around other humans than me. But we still cannot go anyplace because of not being able to wear a mask which is creating issues.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #90
nonperson

I am currently:

People here who can't wear masks for a good reason are still allowed to go places. Is that not the case in the US too?

Old 19-12-2020, 10:36 PM   #91
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

I also don’t understand why things have to become illegal before people listen. Sounds really extreme, but unfortunately is the reality.

Old 20-12-2020, 12:50 AM   #92
Auror.
Camden

At least in my state masks are required everywhere. Places are allowed to deny you access if you are unable to wear a mask regardless of reason. It's not considered reasonable accommodation to not wear one. They can get fined and closed down and you can also get fined for not wearing one. Technically I have medical reason not to, but they can still deny access for that because it's unsafe and thus not reasonable accommodation to still allow you in.

I do go grocery shopping maybe once every 2-3 weeks but that's it. Nobody has stopped me but it is terrifying every time I go. I go late at night without my dog and do the self scan checkout so no having to interact with anyone. But I am terrified of being stopped and getting in trouble. We looked up delivery but it is super super expensive and they go to the grocery store that sucks and does not have the things we get and would mean multiple other humans touching the things we get so we cannot do that.

The barn owners are leaving/left for Florida for the winter so that's really the only other place I go where I see other humans. But the barn is their private property and is outside so they never required me to wear a mask there.

We are technically supposed to stay at home and only go out for essential things but that is only a suggestion and not enforced. There is also a 10pm-5am curfew that is also not enforced. But it just means that any non-essential businesses are not allowed to be open during that time, so bars and restaurants can only do carry out and most retail stores have to close. Things like grocery stores and gas stations are allowed to stay open. But people are still allowed to be out and going places.

So there's no real enforcement of anything.

From what I understand it is all very different state to state though.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 20-12-2020, 01:09 AM   #93
Ahimsa

I am currently:

I'm in the UK.

I'm on my own and I'm about to lose my bubble (I'm currently bubbling with a friend, who's daughter is struggling not being able to see her brother who lives alone, so they're going to bubble with them after Christmas. My other friends are either in different tiers or shielding so I can't bubble with them, and I lost my job so I'm completely by myself).

I went off sick in September, after doing 6 months of 6 and a half days a week, while my colleagues were furloughed and I was told to pick up their jobs, with no time off since October 2019, no extra pay, after flagging I was struggling and it was affecting my mental health on 5 occasions. They told me I clearly wasn’t up to the job and my choice was be made redundant or get sacked but either way I was not to return. This was 3 days before I was meant to come off sick leave. I’d been there 3 and a half years. They sacked me in the middle of Starbucks. This was a yoga and wellbeing centre.

Last edited by Ahimsa : 20-12-2020 at 01:19 AM.
Ahimsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #94
nonperson

I am currently:

Auror, that's really unfair about the rules for mask wearing. People shouldn't be discriminated against for not being able to wear one. Here they say that everyone else wearing masks is protecting those who can't, as well as protecting themselves.

Ahimsa, I'm so sorry things have been tough. And as a yoga and wellbeing centre they should have known a lot better than to risk your mental health like that and not look after you properly.

Old 20-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #95
Auror.
Camden

Sure but the opposite is also an issue. For those who are immunocompromised, people not wearing a mask can also create access issue and endanger them. So it isn't a one size fits all thing. I don't know. Not being allowed to exist in public feels very different than just not liking to go places though.

Old 22-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #96
yoyogirl

I am currently:

I'm missing my family too it feels awful not being able to see them.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 11:13 PM   #97
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Could you zoom/skype/FaceTime them?

Old 24-12-2020, 06:03 AM   #98
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Camden, it must be really difficult for you.
Feeling like you're not welcome or not accepted in public sounds like a real struggle. It must be tricky to balance taking a risk versus needing to go to places and also just not wanting to be excluded from places.

I also hear you on not being able or allowed to go places being different to not wanting to go there. I currently don't really feel the urge to go back to Germany to see people, but being "trapped" on this island and lacking the possibility to go there if I wanted to feels very different.
I think it has to do with wanting the freedom of choice regarding going places rather than really wanting to go there.

How are people holding up?
What are you doing for Christmas in an attempt to make it as nice as possible despite things?

the sun

the moon

the truth

Old 24-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #99
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

V and I bought a switch game and matching pjs for tonight, then tomorrow she’s going to teach me how to cook christmas dinner :). I already know how to do tatties (that was a previous lesson!) but don’t have a clue about the other atuff.

Whats everyone else doing?

Old 24-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #100
Unbreakable.

I am currently:

Omg
That sounds so good!!!

We're going to have a casual dinner today with my flat & tomorrow I'm seeing a friend who's currently by herself bc her roommates left for Christmas a while ago.
And I have some Skype things for boxing day.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)