RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #1
TFaarrgon

I'm impatient of his impatience

Hello, so I have a friend who I am starting to see problems with, allow me to explain. So this friend I have, we Skype pretty much everyday, but he goes through kind of a hard life, he has nothing to do except game at his house, his town doesn't have available jobs, he doesn't have a driver's license, and his family sucks. I'm pretty much the only thing that keeps him entertained and most nights he manages to laugh.

Except there is one problem I notice...

He has absolutely no patience at all! I mean I find it understandable because of his situation, he has experienced trauma that no child should ever have experienced by his family's hands and I don't wanna cause anymore problems by nagging, but honestly I'm sick of being an emotional punching bag. Let me elaborate some examples:

1: I'm watching him play a game because he likes to share his gaming experience with me. My brother walks in because he wants to show me something, 10 seconds into the conversation, I hear a very annoyed toned "Five years later" and it's shortly after that my brother leaves. He goes "Took ya long enough" and then I remark with "Relax bud, it was just a sec :P" in a joking manner, then he just very condescending-like says "mhm". I could tell he was annoyed.

2: (This is something my brother does too which is why I don't like this) Whenever I do something wrong or point something out that is obvious to "him", normally someone would reply with "ok", but he replies "Well no shit" or something along those lines. And this is in a very harsh tone most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, he is a very great friend in most scenarios that gets handed a lotta shit in his day, I just wish there was a way I could teach him patience, he never had those parental figures to teach him and his situation stems this problem. I kinda tried approaching him about this before, but I can't see any approach that would work to not aggravate him, let alone get him to actually listen.

TFaarrgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Amaryllis
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I would suggest having a conversation with your friend about the things that bug you.

It's not fair to you to be the emotional punching bag. If he wants you as his friend, he should be kind to you.

Just because his parents did not model good behavior does not mean he could not have learned it on his own. There's TV, there were other people at school, I'm sure his family came into contact with other families, and he could have made the choice not be kinder.

It's also not really fair to you to be the only 'thing' that keeps him entertained.

Men come and go, but dust accumulates.

Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)