Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:
Jaffa cakes and Yorkshire tea

I miss England today.

I miss jaffa cakes - even though I never really ate them.
I miss tea in tea bags.
I miss a corner shop that sell cheap, gross wine.
I miss(ed) Cadbury's cream egg.
I miss crisp flavours I like.
I miss just talking and not having to say "sorry I'm English"
I miss Jeremy's Kyle, loose women and Dr's - even though I was never really into daytime telly.
I miss calling it telly.

But most of all I miss my friends and family. I miss just being able to pop round or make last minute plans to do something. And I miss being able to moan to them on a regular basis and letting them moan back.

I love it here. It's beautiful and calm and honest. But I'm still an English lass in a far away land missing my englishness

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 18-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
Sketchy

I am currently:

Sorry you are homesick, but look at the good points of living where you are. Is there a way you can buy British snacks and things so you get a taste of home? Could you Skype or FaceTime one of your friends from back home.
I think you are really brave for moving away. It must be exciting too.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
shrimpy
Chat Mod

I am currently:

When I lived abroad I really missed marmite and angel delight! When my mother came to visit she would always bring some for me, but one time her luggage never made it onto the flight. I was frantic, not least because I'd been at the airport for 3 hours and there was still no sign of her, but mostly because I sensed a disruption to my supply!

On that same trip, I'd left bread rising ready for baking when i got home, but because I spent 3+ hours more than expected at the airport, it rose and rose and rose and was all over the worktop by time I got home and was no good for cooking. Good job Mother had finally appeared, cos it might have taken over the entire apartment!

shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
[Luna]

It's so understandable to be homesick. You've done amazingly to be living abroad and building a life for yourself.

I think others have come up with great suggestions. Can you talk to your partner about what you miss about England? She might be going through the same and it might help to go through it together xx

Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself

I am currently:

I will send you Jaffa cakes and tea. Consider it a comfort package. <3. Miss you bubbba.

It takes time to get used to things. When are you coming back to England to see everyone? Your doing so well. Just keep going.

Are there many English people where you are working now? Maybe they have some ideas where you may be able to get some English goodies. When you settle into your job properly you'll make friends and hang. Out with them but it does take time.

Miss you loads.

Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln

Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
EMH

I am currently:

Its very understandable youre homesick, not that saying that makes it any easier, but it does get better as time goes on. How long have you been away from the UK now?

I moved a few years ago (to Denmark). It took a good few months to feel like this was home and not where I came from in UK. For me, it was harder because I had no job here at first so had very limited contact with people, but Ive read from above posts that you have a job? Are the people nice?

As suggested above, definitely buy hold luggage every time you go back so you can stock up on things. And beg any visitors to bring something too :P

I found that it was helpful to make new traditions for myself and new habits. So even though I missed doing stuff in UK that was impossible here, I found new things that are better here than in UK, and it helped me acclimatise to the new culture. For example, visiting bakeries and trying all the different types of weinerbrød etc.

Learning the language also helps. Even if it takes a while to be able to have proper conversations, just being able to ask for a bag in the shop and say no to the reciept etc, helped me feel not as much of an outsider.

Hope some of this helps. Feel free to pm me anytime youre lonely

EMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)