RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-05-2016, 03:44 AM   #1
thaneofhyrule
bo

I am currently:
Can't convince myself that what I'm doing is bad?

I've been self harming for 4 years, and I've had periods of time where I get really dedicated to eradicating it from my life. But it never fails, I always end up fighting strong urges to self harm (sometimes with no trigger whatsoever), and in the end I can't convince myself that what I'm doing to myself is bad, no matter how much I try to. If I imagine someone I care about harming themselves, I think it's terrible and I would want to do everything I could to make them stop... But its like I can't apply that way of thinking to myself. No matter what I try, I can't make myself see hurting myself as a bad thing, and I have no idea how to even try to. Has anyone felt the same way, and have you gotten past it? If so, please share with me how you overcame it...

thaneofhyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 21-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Misadventure

I am currently:

Your sig. Picture caught me, I use to want to be saved til I understood that wasn't it, I just want to be understood. Song. Made me see a little and trigger ::Fade: one reason .

I have not overcome so I can't say. I'm sorry.

Misadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 02:44 AM   #3
crazykat
Fight for another day

Are you wanting to stop because you feel like that is what others want you to do? Or is it something your wanting for yourself but finding it hard to convince yourself that what your doing to yourself is 'bad' as you put it?

In the past I have not wanted to give it up because I convinced myself it was okay. It was what I knew, it is what made everything okay for me in the midst of hard times. There are still times when I dismiss my self-harm by telling myself and others that it is not that bad. The difference now however is I am able to acknowledge that it is no longer helping me but rather doing the opposite making things harder. I am not self-harm free yet but I am closer than what I was.

I don't believe we can start the road to recovery until we acknowledge that it is something that we don't want. However it's okay if your not at that point yet. For some people they aren't ready to give up at all. For others it is more about minimizing either the frequency or severity of it. At the end of the day it is our decision though. Best of luck with everything.

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:17 AM   #4
michael james
michael james

I am currently:
Wouldn't say bad

Hi
Sorry you are struggling so much. However, I wouldn't use the word "bad". Obviously you are in a battle with yourself over your Self-harm. I was and still am in such battle, thinking Self-harm is wrong, bad, unjustifiable. But I realised it's not bad or good I needed to hurt myself, because of past traumas that I couldn't live with. I hurt myself for many, many years, which was sad. I wasn't ready for recovery, ready to think about living another way. Then after hurting myself badly, 10/1/2014, I came out of hospital. I sat looking at all my scar's it was then I realised I shouldn't be hurting myself i have done nothing wrong. And I haven't hurt myself since, you see I was ready for recovery. I still want to hurt myself but I haven't for nearly a year an a half. I take each day as it comes now, for everyday you don't hurt yourself is a victory. If you ever want to talk I am here, if I can help you I will try my best. So get in touch if you need support, advice or just to chat.
Best Wishes
From Michael 🇬🇧

michael james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
MyLastKiss

I am currently:

I wouldn't considering stopping if it was socially accepted (and if maybe I wouldn't do it). For me a disclosure of me cutting would destroy everything so I really try to stop. I also realize that if it wasn't a deviant behavior it probably would go too far.

My answers would be: I felt the same. I haven't a clue how to overcome it.

MyLastKiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)