RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
tchest77

Living with fiance who has a generalized anxiety disorder, not sure if I can continue, need advice

Some background:
We've been together for 3yrs total (I proposed to her 1 year later and we've been living together since (past 2 years now). I am 41 yr old a man and she is 39 yrs old.
Ever since I've known her, she always got frustrated over things that bothered her. She has always been quick to react, and just comes across like a bitch, but I grew to understand that she had another issue; she eventually told me that she has a generalized anxiety disorder, even has therapy (I’ve attended as well) and medication to help, and it has helped tremendously, but just not enough as this issue I’m upset about below, usually happens 1-3 times a week.

The problem:
She does have anxiety about things in general, and I support her and love her though that, but the thing I can't deal with is how she talks to people (include myself). Not all conversations are bad, just the ones that she gets annoyed/frustrated by, and then the disrespectful tone comes out, it’s a tense tone and demeanor that I think just happens way to frequently. She doesn’t insult, but it’s her angry tone and attitude I have a problem with. I used to call her out, by saying in a nice but concerning way, “Hey, you were kinda mean,” but lately I’ve been just saying that she is talking disrespectful and sometimes I just get angry and have to leave the room. I feel bad for her, and I understand she doesn't have the ability to think clearly under her emotions, it’s not easy for anyone especially someone with an anxiety disorder, but not sure if I can live like this. I feel the anger/tension she puts onto others, whether they deserve it or not, and it happens quite often enough that I can’t live like this. I talk to her about it, and she says I don’t understand how other people are or that I don’t understand where she’s coming from. I tried putting myself in her place, and sometimes think maybe I’m the one who’s wrong. But her disrespect towards others happens more than I can handle, even though most are short in duration, but I don’t think I can live like this. I recently bought a book (about couples who have an anxious partner) I wanted to read with her, and she thanked me for it. I sometimes say, this is just the way she is, and this is just the way I am, or maybe think one day she will get better at this since she has shown tremendous growth in other areas, but know deep down I don’t like it and don’t want to live like this. Any advice?

tchest77 is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 16-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

It sounds like you've made a big effort to support her in her treatment, so well done for that; I know it's not easy! How much have you told her about this particular issue? Does she know how much it's bothering you and even making you consider not wanting to stay in the relationship?

As you are really struggling with this, I think it would be worth talking to her and maybe trying to also talk to someone 'neutral' (either in a professional or personal context) about what's going. Hopefully with help you'll be able to work out to what extent her behaviour is disrespectful, and if so, help her decide if she wants to work on it. Obviously I'm not there so I have no idea if it's closer to "normal" stroppiness/difference in mannerisms but hopefully people who know you both will be better able to comment!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
wildly insane

I am currently:

I understand how much some comments can just hurt and one day my partner gave me the best bit of advice ever and that was to think a bit before speaking. I do it now all the time. Is what I'm about to say necessary? hurtful? If it's necessary but not nice could I frame it to be more constructive? Taking a breath before speaking has helped me hugely. I'm sure you're partner doesn't want to be disrespectful and is lashing out when she feels vulnerable, so maybe this could be a way to help? difficult to discuss I know, but it sounds like you have a relationship which is open and you've been through a lot together so hopefully you can find a solution.
Good luck.

"I am me and me is good enough if I would only be it openly"

wildly insane is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)