RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Lanie Rose

Graphic - Suicide runs in the family

Hi again, yesterday I posted about how I was thinking of suicide and the reasons I had not to. But this morning I found out my cousin, who lives in another state then me, tried to kill herself. I hardly know my cousin and I've been meaning to talk to her. I barely know her but I feel like I can relate to her. We both have the same thoughts and we're both so messed up. The only difference is she was actually willing to do it. She was brave enough to face consequences if she failed. I feel like I should talk to her, but I'm not sure I know how. Everyday just seems like it's getting more and more complicated and I'm feeling more and more lost. I just wish I could've done something.

Lanie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Patent Pending
★ Katie ★

I am currently:

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you and your cousin are both feeling this intense emotions at the moment and are thinking this way.

One thing I will say is that I don't agree that suicide runs in the family, yes; MH issues might, but there's nothing wired in your DNA that says you're going to commit suicide. These thoughts and emotions are extremely strong, but you can get through it and come out the other side.

Suicidal feelings/thoughts are more common than people realise, and this can sometimes feel like you are surrounded by it and therefore it's a prophecy that you will go the same way.

I think speaking to your cousin could be really helpful for both of you. Feeling suicidal often leaves you feeling alone and isolated, sharing this with someone who understands can really make a difference.

Perhaps just sending her a message asking how things are and talking generally first would be best, then if she mentions anything about her emotional state if could be a way to start explaining that you can understand the feelings/emotions she's experiencing.

x x x

It's the ups and downs of living life this way. Promise me you'll never go away. Just stay with me through one more night because it's always darkest before the light and now I promise you I'll never turn away. I won't let you give us one less heart to break...

Patent Pending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
Lanie Rose

Thank you for your reply. I know in all technicality suicide can't run in the family it was more of a matter of speaking type of deal. thanks for the advice I will make sure to talk to her when she is released and/or able to contact me.

Lanie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Patent Pending
★ Katie ★

I am currently:

I can understand that phrase :)

I hope you're able to speak to her and that you, and her, are doing as okay as you can be.

x x x

It's the ups and downs of living life this way. Promise me you'll never go away. Just stay with me through one more night because it's always darkest before the light and now I promise you I'll never turn away. I won't let you give us one less heart to break...

Patent Pending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
FreeDilbert
Comically Deranged

I am currently:

Hi Lanie,

Welcome to ryl, I'm sorry to hear that things aren't so good at the moment. I've always found the community here to be none judgmental and supportive.

I hope we can help you through this difficult time

*Faith Is Going Forward
Knowing Only That
What Lies Ahead
Must Be Better
Than What Lies Behind*

FreeDilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mix Tape View Post
One thing I will say is that I don't agree that suicide runs in the family, yes; MH issues might, but there's nothing wired in your DNA that says you're going to commit suicide. These thoughts and emotions are extremely strong, but you can get through it and come out the other side.
Very much agree with this.

As long as you think that talking to your cousin about what she's going through will help the two of you support one another, then I'd definitely recommend contacting her.

I agree with Katie that maybe a more general message would be best to start with and maybe if you want to just say that you heard she hadn't been well so hoped she'd be on the mend soon or something vague like that. That way it's not like an interrogation, but enables her to talk about it in more detail if she'd like.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)