RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
ParanormalChickenGeek

I am currently:
Requests for flexible working/part-time in NHS

I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences of working full-time initially, but later on requesting to change their hours? I'd like to hear anyone's experiences, but particularly those working in the NHS or other healthcare provider.

As you may know, I'm struggling with aspects of my mental health. I've identified that my current workplace isn't helping my situation, but I don't want to leave just yet as I've only been there just under a year and my job before I had only been there about six months, so in the interest of future employment aspects and career development; I want to seem reliable and not like some job hopper!
However, staying there full-time for another year or so will completely drain me and make my mental health worse.

I've been thinking about options and I've decided I don't want to inform my boss about my struggles for many reasons I've stated in other posts, but basically they're unsupportive of staff who are struggling and are very judgemental of employees with ill mental health. Plus, there really isn't much that could be done at work to ease my problems other than me leaving!
So- I'm thinking of requesting part-time hours under the flexible working policy. I'd ideally do three days a week, then work one or two shifts a week on agency (at hospitals I actually enjoy working in!) to top up my wages to equate to the full-time salary I was on. What do people think of this? Is it a sensible idea?

What are others experiences of trying to change their hours? Have your workplace been generally receptive? I know they have a right to turn it down if they don't feel it'll benefit them in some way, which I'm scared will happen.

I just need to be proactive, I can't carry on struggling in this way...

We're all architects of our own private hell
No-one can hurt us like we hurt ourselves...

ParanormalChickenGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 28-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Lindsey

From experience in my own department they are a lot more inclined to help reduce than increase. I was working part time but wanted full time and it was never available, but people seemed to easily go the other way.

One guy did a few hours 5 days a week and then after a doctors note and a letter explaining how his health was affected got it changed to 3 full days and dropped a few hours. He had chronic fatigue and felt that having a four day weekend would be better to recharge.

Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I haven't done this but I wonder if occur health could help?

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Idk but my cpn works part time after doing full time for years. She works for the nhs. So it's possible.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
ParanormalChickenGeek

I am currently:

Hmmm. I'm thinking of mentioning it to my manager this week but I'm really scared. We're a really busy department so I don't think they'd be happy for me to work less.
I don't really know what to say as my excuse to cut hours either....
I wish I could just quit but I'm in so much debt

We're all architects of our own private hell
No-one can hurt us like we hurt ourselves...

ParanormalChickenGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)