RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
non volo
Britain is Dead

I am currently:
EU Referendum

OK with RYL being UK based and most of the members based in the UK, I'm hoping that since this is a vote which carries much significance to the future of the UK, it will be allowed.
That said, this being RYL and political threads having a bit of a bad track record here I'm hoping this one can be somewhat civilized.
Remember LIMITED discussion is allowed but no arguing.

The following content has been hidden - Reason : .
Quote:
Limited discussion of political issues is allowed in general chat and general forums only and must not decend into arguments, or Mods will step in.

Let's try and have one without it getting closed.

The EU referendum is on the 23rd June, whichever way you want to vote is up to you but we all know there will be scaremongering by both the politicians and the general public "oh if you vote out, we will have no trade deals" or "if you vote in, immigrants will steal our jobs", I don't like scaremongering, I find it to be very juvenile and it's nothing more than a method of control to ensure an outcome they want.

I would prefer people to at least be informed a little of what they are actually voting for without the scaremongering.

Have a read of this site, there are a few others which seem non biased but this is the best one so far that I've seen and if anyone has any others please feel free to post them, the more informed people are, the better.

NO ARGUING

non volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

I don't think there has been enough publicity about the true facts. Only scaremongering amongst politicians.

In Wales there's assembly elections in may and tbh I am better informed about them than the EU referendum. I know which way I am going to vote in the assembly elections whereas I can't say the same about the EU.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #3
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

My instinct is that we are better together so feel inclined towards being pro-EU, but I actually have no clue of the facts so will be doing some research- thanks for that link!

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Iamcatbug
Cat

I'm having the issue of I really want to vote against what Cameron wants just to spite him. But I know that isn't logical.

Hopefully as we get nearer to the referendum more information will be available so I can make a more informed decision as to what I believe is best for the UK.

Iamcatbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Don't know, should know, should care, don't care.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
zombiehunter
thinking

I am currently:

I'm voting for us to leave, at the very least I hope this referendum stirs things up and gets people engaged in politics the way that the Scottish independence referendum did.

zombiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
The One Who

I am currently:

I think leaving now will cause more harm than good. It would be different if it was a vote to join in the first place (in which case I would vote to stay a member of the economic area, but not the Union), but as we're in it, it would be better to remain. We already have decent(ish) deals.

Most people don't care about the actual political running of the EU, which is maybe something that should be looked at more than getting into the nitty gritty of specific policies of one party. How many people can name their MEP? How many people know how the EU is governed?

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Indigo.
Wir und die Todten reiten schnell.

I am currently:

I'm against, but I think I may be biased so I shall do more fact-checking/research as well.

If I only could
make a deal with God.

Indigo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #9
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I'm for staying; things work better when people work together. Most of the against stuff is Conservative-led because they believe in less State involvement in things; less of a nanny-state.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
HopeRises

I think this is the first time ever that I have agreed with David Cameron.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #11
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

I don't have a clue but I to feel we are probably better together but I do need to fact check

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #12
Isoverity

I am currently:

Whatever makes it easier for me to go hide in Scotland. Its getting about that time lol

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 05:42 AM   #13
non volo
Britain is Dead

I am currently:

I too believe that we are better off in the EU than out of it.
The EU isn't perfect, not by a long way but the benefits we do get from it are worth staying in for.

I fully believe that if the UK vote to leave then Scotland (which is highly likely to want to stay in) will again demand another referendum to become independent and I do not look forward to that again. I didn't believe the lies of surviving on oil money last time and voted no and I'm not afraid to admit that, it's plainly obvious now that if we had voted yes then our(Scotland) economy would extremely bad right now.

There are a lot of unknowns in leaving the EU and I don't think I could be convinced to leave unless some of those unknowns are answered, especially what sort of trade tariffs we would be looking at.

What feels the most weird is that I actually agree with Cameron on the EU.

Old 22-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #14
non volo
Britain is Dead

I am currently:

Tomorrow is the big day, both sides have spent months campaigning on lies and empty promises, an MP got murdered and riots are probably going to happen no matter the outcome on Friday morning.

Just remember what question you are being asked tomorrow.

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union"

That is all you are being asked, there is no hint of democracy coming back, there is no hint of less EU rules and there is no hint of immigrants being sent home.
I know politicians have said all of these things will happen but just try to remember the last time a politician didn't lie about things to win votes.
They have a get out clause with all of it due to the simple wording of the question.
The simple fact is, we cannot gain access to the single market unless we are prepared to accept the financial costs which would almost rival the £4.40 per person/week it costs for the EU membership and of course, there is no way any EU will accept any deal not involving freedom of movement, that one rule is pivotal to any EU deal.

Not to even mention the EU protections we all enjoy right now, imagine what that would the UK would be like with an unrestrained tory party, imagine the tories do what they have been trying to do for years and destroy the NHS, where will you get help then?

If we vote to remain, things continue as normal.
If we vote to leave, things can get bad, it's widely accepted there will be between 10-20 bad years economically, that means pension cuts, job cuts and benefit cuts and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
We will then get trade deals in place(which take years to ratify) and then all of a sudden we will have freedom of movement back along with most of the other EU rules and we will have no say in the EU, we will have no veto and our MP's will turn round to the British people and say "well you only voted not to be a member of the EU, you didn't vote for the rules to change"

In reality all parties know we will have to accept EU rules and regulations with any trade deal, that's why the question you are being asked isn't to be free of EU rule.

So, basically, do you want to be Noway or Switzerland with 90+% of the costs and most of the rules but have zero input on the EU or even a veto on EU rules?
OR
Do you want us to continue the way we are now, to have a say in the EU, to continue to have a veto?

That is the real question you are being asked tomorrow.

I believe that we are better off in the EU, I enjoy having the freedom to visit any EU country without a visa, I like knowing that if I go to one of those countries and I have to go to hospital that I won't be laying dying in a bed unable to get proper treatment due to all the red tape.
I like the fact that areas get EU funding to help renovate them because our government damn well wouldn't do it on their own.
Most of all though, I am absolutely terrified of what a tory government might do to all of us when we do not have the EU to protect us.

BTW, for any Scots who think voting leave will get us another Independence referendum, it won't, only if Scotland votes in and England votes out does an Indyref stand a chance of happening.

If you have a different opinion, you are welcome to express it and explain your thoughts, theory's etc...
I just hope this thread can remain civil (no pun intended)

Old 23-06-2016, 01:31 AM   #15
Rageaholic
Free Speech Absolutist

I am currently:

I am not from the UK, but I hope you all vote to leave and vote Nigel Farage as your PM next go around.

Rageaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 02:16 AM   #16
Freedom Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcatbug View Post
I'm having the issue of I really want to vote against what Cameron wants just to spite him. But I know that isn't logical.
Think of it as voting against Nigel Farrage

Last edited by Freedom Fighter : 23-06-2016 at 02:22 AM.

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #17
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I hope everyone who is eligible to vote is voting today! Young people typically do not vote as much but we need our voice to be heard rather than the older generation dictating OUR future for us (the babyboomers all want to leave the EU but wont be around to see the **** that will follow).

I've voted already to remain. We're better and stronger together, and I don't want my future messed up due to job cuts, the economy crashing and businesses having to close due to no trade deals. Not to mention many community projects have vital EU funding without which they would have to close (I had a leaflet through my door yesterday outlining about 10 such projects in my area that rely on EU funding).

Please please vote!

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #18
whirlpools

I've voted, now paranoid I've crossed the wrong box. I've been a keen 'remainer' through this whole thing so I really hope I got it right. Probably just typical voting anxiety! Ugh I hope it's good news in the morning.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #19
Serendipity.
fabulous.

I always worry about that Laura! I'm sure you got it right though :)

I'm on my way to vote now. I'm voting remain.

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #20
Sock

I am currently:

I voted remian, also worried about ticking the wrong box. I did it on my way back from uni and was exhausted by the time i got there.

You have to do everything you can. You have to work your hardest. And if you do, if you stay positive, then you have a shot at a silver lining
'Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life'
“Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’”

Sock is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)