RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
GossipGirl-xoxo

I am currently:
Hollyoaks Ester Bullying.

Any opinions? Do you they have protrayed it well?

Im too tired to listen.
Im too old to believe
All these childish stories
There is no such thing as
Faith&Trust&Pixiedust

Happiness can be found in the darkest of places.
If only one remembers to to turn on the light.

GossipGirl-xoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

That was a deeply uncomfortable last ten minutes.
There are always going to be issues with these storylines, but I think this was one of the less crap ones.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
youonlyliveonce

i think the story line up to the od was **** but the od portrayel was ok.. the next episode is weird i dunno how it will pan out if she survives or dies

Old 21-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
makedamnsure

I am currently:

I thought up until the overdose it was good. However I didn't find the schools handling of it very realistic (pupils would not be informed unless she actually died) and also, most overdoses are not fatal, very few people will die from their first attempt at an overdose (unless its meticulously planned which I didn't think Esther's was). So I will find it a bit unrealistic if she dies.

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
GossipGirl-xoxo

I am currently:

I think the schools handling is ridiculous. And also I don't think anyone can be that malicious a Rubie.

Im too tired to listen.
Im too old to believe
Faith&Trust&Pixiedust

Old 22-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
ferretmonster

i personally think it was very well done tbh, we don't know what the meds were and she did drink a lot of vodka so it could be possible i guess.

i think the reactions of frankie and umm whats hisface (temporarily forgot his name) were pretty good as well

tbh i have been wondering for a while now why she hasnt attempted it before now, having been through that level of bullying at school i could not handle it but thats just because it was me

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
GossipGirl-xoxo

I am currently:

I feel so bad. I hope she gets a new liver. But dont you think Rubie and Sinead are taking it abit too far! xx

Im too tired to listen.
Im too old to believe
Faith&Trust&Pixiedust

Old 23-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
FlyingNy
Me

Ruby and Sinead believe Ester to be the bad guy. They fully believe she is responsible for their friend's deaths and Bart's leaving. They believe her suicide attempt was no more than a ploy to ruin their lives as well. I'm not defending them or saying it's right or anything like that, I think they're awful, I just think it's plausible they would be that horrible. If I blamed someone for all of that I'd hate them too. Having said that, I find the blame game unproductive and a waste of mental and physical energy. Unless it's direct murder, pointing the finger isn't going to change a thing.

But I digress. I actually think the storyline was handled well, especially for Hollyoaks. The acting was less terrible than usual, but I can't see how Ruby and Sinead are going to get away with it. Phoebe is never going to keep her mouth shut and after what George went through at his old school, he won't either. I don't know why neither of them did anything before.

I also think it's realistic she could die. Whereas it's rare to die from an overdose, it's not unheard of and as someone's already said, we don't know what pills she took and alcohol poisoning could be a contributing factor to her liver failure. And the fact that she went without treatment for so long would have made it much worse. Also, the very fact that she doesn't want to live could be worsening her condition. She won't be fighting.

FlyingNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
ChocolateMarvel

I am currently:

I rarely watch Hollyoaks these days but I keep up with storylines online so knew about the bullying. Watching the impact that it has had on Esther is awful as I remember when she joined and was lively and cheeky and its all been bullied out of her. I really hope between Phoebe, George and Tilly they can let people know what has been going on. Frankie's attitude towards Esther shocked me, even if she had caused a lot of trouble she was really rude to her, but I guess she regrets that :/

I think that they portrayed the desperation and the finality of what she was doing really well with her packing her stuff up, throwing things away and giving away her phone.

Odd that the pills were in a bottle, its strange to get them in bottles in my experience and also strange that the bottle sounded more than half empty to begin with and then there were still pills in it at the end.

*waffles*

ChocolateMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
FlyingNy
Me

Oh my word, Frankie annoyed me so so much. If I had been there I would have torn her apart (verbally). Like even if you don't understand (a lot of people don't, that's fair enough) you can't be so ignorant as to think screaming at them and telling them they don't deserve love is going to help.

FlyingNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretmonster View Post
tbh i have been wondering for a while now why she hasnt attempted it before now, having been through that level of bullying at school i could not handle it but thats just because it was me
I have been thinking this for a while too.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Zedebee
It's okay not to be okay

I am currently:

I thin they did it quite well. There's always going to be some things that aren't true to life because that's just TV for you. However, I was quite impressed and Jazz Franks and Anna Shaffer are great actresses.

The only time you will find real light is when you're searching in the dark..

Zedebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Tig

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueenHasAHeart View Post
Oh my word, Frankie annoyed me so so much. If I had been there I would have torn her apart (verbally). Like even if you don't understand (a lot of people don't, that's fair enough) you can't be so ignorant as to think screaming at them and telling them they don't deserve love is going to help.
Sadly it can be quite a common reaction to an attempted suicide which is really meh :( Thankfully I have experienced it personally but I know of others who have.

I have been impressed with how they handled the storyline. They have conveyed how desperate Esther is and not just made it in to a cry for help sort of thing but they have also protected viewers by not giving away the medication.

The acting has been incredible, especially Jazz Franks. I couldn't stop crying at the scene in A&E where Ruby whispered something to Esther and she freaked out - it was so real it was painful to watch.

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Sunshine
This girl just cant take it anymore

I am currently:

When I took a serious od and ended up in hospital the school had to tell the pupils so they didn't worry about why I was there but it was never said I took an od, and the school in hollyoaks didn't actually say she od'd ruby did!

I think the portrayal of the od was really realistic, especially the waking up feeling fine and how upset she was about it! And also frankie a reaction of being angry while jack was sad because it shows different a people's reactions to it even in a family!

I just found watching it brought up loads of raw emotions so it was hard to watch, but I suppose that is a good thing it means they are doing there job well

My Angels
Madeline 09/02/1990
Edward 10/02/1990

I want to live, not merely survive

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
Sunshine
This girl just cant take it anymore

I am currently:

Also it is very possible to get liver damage I took a large overdose and there were concerns over the state of my liver and I was told that had I not received help as soon as I did I could have got liver faluire but my psychiatrist said if that had happened they would not have put me on the transplant list because I brought it on myself and they couldn't be sure I wouldn't do it again and ruin the new liver. So I'm not sure if she would be on transplant or if my psych just said that to scare me in the future.

My Angels
Madeline 09/02/1990
Edward 10/02/1990

I want to live, not merely survive

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig View Post
The acting has been incredible, especially Jazz Franks. I couldn't stop crying at the scene in A&E where Ruby whispered something to Esther and she freaked out - it was so real it was painful to watch.
Totally agree, I cried too. As a victim of similar bullying (although not to that degree) I related alot to the storyline and the acting and it really hit me hard.

I think the acting was great in comparison to how Hollyoaks usually is. I also cried when Esther woke up from the OD and realised she was still alive... it was like watching the whole reaction in slow motion and I thought it was very realistic and devestating to watch, I am sure many of us can relate to the feeling of waking up and realising you arent dead and being absolutely crushed and wondering where to turn next.

I have found the school's reaction beyond apalling, and quite unrealistic... Ruby and Sinead would have been caught out by now with George, Tilly and Phoebe on their tails, I dont think there is any way a 2 person vendetta could last this long... I feel it is going on a little longer than necessary now and they need to be brought to justice before viewers start getting bored of it.

Kyaneos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #17
ChocolateMarvel

I am currently:

The following content has been hidden - Reason : Spoiler

ChocolateMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #18
Tig

^
Me neither. About time!

Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #19
GossipGirl-xoxo

I am currently:

Neither can I!!! Thank you for putting that up :)

Im too tired to listen.
Im too old to believe
Faith&Trust&Pixiedust

Old 28-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #20
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

Omg!!!! Thanks Claire! Karma is a bitch!

Kyaneos is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)