RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-11-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
fluffyblanket

Anorexia recovery and am weight restored?

Hello, this is my first ever post.

I have been in recovery from anorexia for almost a year, even though the duration of having anorexia for me was only 6 months.

Right now i'm close to the weight my doctors want me to reach (which i won't share for reasons of unhealthy comparison), but i feel that they have genuinely set the recovery weight too high as there are many teenager/young adults that are able to be very healthy at my weight or sometimes lower, not to mention my sister has the same bmi as i do, which makes gaining more weight so challenging for me. I feel i am at a weight that feels good on me and I'm able to eat well and not feel distress after overeating, like i might have in the past. I also no longer feel fatigued and cold all the time. Still no period yet, but i have heard that takes time. But at the same time i am afraid that stopping here will leave my metabolism suppressed.

I've heard that restrictive eating can do all sorts of damage to your body including causing weight gain in the long term. I have heard people talk about overshoot and how thats the only way to heal metabolic damage. (Overshoot is basically when your body gains more weight than what would otherwise be healthy in order to protect from potential famines and continue internal healing, in some cases overshoot makes a person technically overweight). It is temporary, usually lasting 6months to a year and go's away on it's own without dieting. It doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen to the majority of people.
But basically i have been hoping that due to the duration of the restriction i was engaging in being just 6months, that overshoot won't happen to me. Yes this sound very wishful, i know. I'm making this post hoping that someone will have advice about overshoot or metabolism, or recovery when you're a teenager, because my doctors don't really seem to be aware of overshoot and aren't really acknowledging my fears about it either. Thank you if you have read this far, i know i wrote a lot lol.

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 18-11-2023 at 08:50 PM. Reason: please see your PMs
fluffyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2023, 10:04 PM   #2
Auror.
Camden

we aren't able to give any medical advice or comment on why your medical humans set your goal weight at what they did, as they are the ones who know you and your needs best.

in our own personal experience, weights set by medical humans tend to be the bare minimum weight you need to hit to not be considered clinically underweight anymore. NOT what's actually going to be a "healthy" or stable weight for you, especially because this is something that will fluctuate and change over time and for a bunch of medical and non medical reasons. so basically to say, in our own personal experience, the weights they want are generally too low for what is realistic. ESPECIALLY if you're a teenager and will need to gain weight as you grow and reach adulthood.

basically they're playing into fatphobia by saying "oh none of this will happen to you" and setting it at the lowest possible weight. and it sounds like you're also experiencing some internalised fatphobia by being so concerned about your own weight and what will happen with it.

so yea. you need to talk to your own medical providers about this, as we can't advise on your weight, metabolism, etc..

Last edited by Auror. : 18-11-2023 at 08:40 PM.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)