RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
mat
it never ends.

playing god. assisted suicide/suicide.

Just curious as to peoples opinions? In 'playing god'. Suicide is taboo I guess. Governments make assisted suicide illegal in most places. It should be an option. The world has already played god to save lives. Premature babies get incubated, some people in comas do too, that's playing god. It seems it is ok to play god to save a life, but to take ones life is a big no-no.

mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

I am in favour of euthanasia.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
snailonvalium
*~manda~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by effervescence View Post
I am in favour of euthanasia.
Me too.

snailonvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

I'm in favour of assisted suicide/assisted dying. I think having a dignified death should be an option, rather than a slow drawn out undignified one because assisted suicide/dying isn't an option.

Fairly recently Tony Nicklinson who was a sufferer of locked-in syndrome, died after his legal case arguing his right to die was unsuccessful. It was a shame that he viewed his life as undignified and had to resort to refusing medical treatment and food after he became ill with pneumonia. Although, cases like his would of course bring up further complications because he was physically unable to take his life as he was paralyzed from the neck down.

BridgesAndBalloons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Asura

Yeah, I'm all for suicide and assisted suicide.

Last edited by Asura : 04-10-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Don't feel like arguing.

Nous avons abrité tous les rêves du monde,
Et c'est dans le soleil que nous avons grandi.

Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
sajhfuahuefghaeg

^You're not going to argue? D:

So many threads about this already. With strict criteria, yes, I am in favour.

sajhfuahuefghaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I am in favour of it.

People should have the right to pick.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

I wonder what people think of suicide/attempted suicide for the most severe of mental health problems which are incurable, such as long engrained treatment resistive depression or schizophrenia?

Personally don't agree with it for mental health, but I do wonder what others think, as it could seem a bit rich to excuse people with horrendous physical illnesses from living in pain/distress but force people with horrendous painful/distressing mental health problems to keep living.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
The One Who

I am currently:

Essentially, no. I think for some people, it can be right. If, and only if, they do it themselves. I'd like to see more (and better!) palliative care systems before going down this route.

I don't really buy into the whole "everyone deserves to die with dignity" line, since not everyone gets that opportunity. If you choose to end your life, why should the State condone and even supply it for you?

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Asura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrk View Post
^You're not going to argue? D:

So many threads about this already. With strict criteria, yes, I am in favour.
Lol originally I had a huuuge post explaining how ridiculous the expression "playing God" is, which more or less boiled down to 'Christians toting moral superiority are dumbass'. So pretty par for the course for me. :P

I changed my mind, though, because I don't care for this to because a religious debate on my watch.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttons. View Post
I wonder what people think of suicide/attempted suicide for the most severe of mental health problems which are incurable, such as long engrained treatment resistive depression or schizophrenia?
Go for it.

so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #12
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
If, and only if, they do it themselves.
But what if, for example, they're paralysed?

so must you know pain.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
Stellata

It is possible to live with chronic, lifelong, treatment resistant depression. Tough, but possible.
One of the reasons for my chronic illness? The legacy of all the stuff around my premature birth trauma.
Great, huh?
But I don't want to be allowed to die.
Most of the time.
/personal pain.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Greyscale
Chat Mod

I am all for assisted suicide, and not just for physical problems. If there is no quality of life, there is no quality of life, be it due to physical issues or mental. Do I think there would need to be restrictions on it to evaluate whether someone is making a rational, well thought out decision versus a rash "I want to die" without exhausting all other options? Yes. But I do think it should be allowed.

Greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
BridgesAndBalloons

I think it would come down to the individual and the quality of life they felt they had. Two people could have the same illness/condition and one might believe they had no quality of life whatsoever and not want to carry one with life, and the other might feel quite differently. So I guess it comes down to personal perspective on your own life and illness/condition.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
mat
it never ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post
Lol originally I had a huuuge post explaining how ridiculous the expression "playing God" is, which more or less boiled down to 'Christians toting moral superiority are dumbass'. So pretty par for the course for me. :P

I changed my mind, though, because I don't care for this to because a religious debate on my watch.
Everytime I see we post in the same thread you say some pretty interesting things. I would say it as just a term, like instead of 'playing god' more or less then 'people taking control of things that are typically not ment to be controlled'? If that helps to drop the religous out of it. Ants don't put other ants on life support when they get squashed. You follow? I feel religion really has nothing to do with it, other than terminology, but every religon has some kind of god almost.

Turns your unknown expiration date, to possibly a day you choose.

mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
angeldevil123

I am currently:

I'm very. 50/50 on this one simply because I believe has the right to die in the way they want on the other hand I believe that there will be using assisted sui just because they are sick of their long term chronic condition. More laws should be in place to protect the elderly and vulnerable.

angeldevil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by effervescence View Post
But what if, for example, they're paralysed?
There are ways. Using eye controls or similar.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
Asura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
Everytime I see we post in the same thread you say some pretty interesting things. I would say it as just a term, like instead of 'playing god' more or less then 'people taking control of things that are typically not ment to be controlled'? If that helps to drop the religous out of it. Ants don't put other ants on life support when they get squashed. You follow? I feel religion really has nothing to do with it, other than terminology, but every religon has some kind of god almost.

Turns your unknown expiration date, to possibly a day you choose.
Lol thanks I'll take that as a compliment! :P

I understand what you're saying, but all religion aside I still find it silly to say humans shouldn't be allowed to controlled death. History is filled with people taking (and preserving) life in some form or another. Humans have always had the power to give and take life. How does one rationalize the mass extinguishing of lives through war, while ending someone's suffering with their consent even is morally wrong? That's fucking retarded, lol.

You say that religion has little-to-nothing to do with it, but I disagree. It's the same as the abortion debate. The vast majority of those against euthanasia or abortion find it morally objectionable on the grounds that the right to take life belongs only to God.

What's wrong with knowing the day you die? Giving you a heads up might make you really enjoy life if you know how long you have left. There's a lot of fiction out there based on that premise.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #20
BridgesAndBalloons

Quote:
You say that religion has little-to-nothing to do with it, but I disagree. It's the same as the abortion debate. The vast majority of those against euthanasia or abortion find it morally objectionable on the grounds that the right to take life belongs only to God.
I find it frustrating that some Christians are very anti-abortion and euthanasia but have no qualms with people who've broken the law being executed. It feels that their view on life, and the value of life, can be a bit pick and choose sometimes, just seems odd to me.

I think it's a shame that euthanasia is allowed for animals to end their suffering but not for humans to end theirs.
Quote:
Giving you a heads up might make you really enjoy life if you know how long you have left.
I think knowing when you're going to die would also allow those close you to to adjust, say goodbyes etc when the time comes.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)