RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
uwu

Alternatives to antidepressants?

I'm meant to be getting some antidepressants today (I've been on them twice before - once for six weeks and another time for ten days, but both times they gave me strange thoughts, made me feel detached and the first time they even made me aggressive) and my parents and family members all support them, but I'm 18 and don't want to take them while my brain's still developing. Is this a bad idea? I have no energy and procrastinate which is more of a problem, as well as other problems like severe social anxiety and apathy and I isolate myself a lot but the main reason I'm depressed is I'm not happy with where I am in my life e.g. university, course, age with no friends, relationship (i.e. dependence) on parents both financially and emotionally, selfishness i.e. this is all I can think about, no skills.

I'd rather accomplish more and this would make me feel better as a person, but I don't know where to start. I have been feeling very depressed but the doctors and lots of counselling and CBT hasn't helped me, and I want to improve my life and myself rather than just feel better. I've got a lot to think about regarding myself and a lot to sort out, and I feel like I have legitimate reasons to be depressed but noone will listen to me. My parents are completely sold on the idea of a chemical imbalance. I did feel "happier" when on my last set of antidepressants, but I had weird thoughts and severe detachment from my surroundings, and it felt very false. I don't want to hide from things using antidepressants.

I've had blood tests but there's nothing to explain my lethargy, and no professional has ever been able to explain my behaviour which has been different to others for as long as I can remember. I feel very bad about it all the time, and it's holding me back so much to the point where every day I age I become more depressed and disappointed with myself, unable to fit in without embarrassing levels of support. What if I had been born homeless or in a tumultuous period in history where people didn't understand what they did today? I probably wouldn't be in a very good place at all (that's an understatement). I just want to be able to function more, but antidepressants have always actually made me feel worse and I can never trust them, no matter how hard I try. But then people say I'm rejecting help and don't sympathise with me any more or want to help me, and this has been going on for a long time.

Does anyone have any advice? I'd be really grateful, I have no idea how to sort this out! Thank you.

uwu is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 29-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

Antidepressants take quite a while to build up in your system and whilst they are doing this they can make you feel a bit strange. I understand how hard it is to start a medication and stick with things that feel bad but it usually takes more than 6 weeks to know if it is going to be beneficial for you.

Talking from personal experience, my depression was most effectively treated when I used a combination of medication and therapy to treat it. The medication gave me a little bit of a boost and that helped me put the work I was doing in therapy a little practice.

Even if it is your situation that is contributing towards your low mood, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to put up with the low mood. Are there anyways you could improve your life at the moment?

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
FlightlessBird
Save me from the nothing I've become

I am currently:

While some people will not benefit from these all natural options, a vitamin B complex and St. John's Wort are natural options you can try.

I want to stay in love with my sorrow.
Oh, but God, I want to let it go.
If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see, you can find out first-hand what it's like to be me.
You'll need a symphony to give sympathy to the girl with the worst luck in town.
When I care, it curls me up on the floor and I swear I can't do it anymore.

FlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:00 AM   #4
~SuNsHiNe~

I am currently:

Have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns? There are lots of different types of antidepressants and if you didn't like the side effects from the ones you had last time, maybe you could talk to your doctor about trying a different kind? As tiptoes has said, you don't have to accept feeling like that. Sometimes it can take awhile to get the type of medication that works for you- I know for me it was a trial and error process and that some had side effects that meant it wasn't helpful to take them. I hope you can speak with your dr and get some more support with this. Take care *hugs*

"just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it turned into a beautiful butterfly..."

~SuNsHiNe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I would speak to your Dr.

I know in some countries that anti depressants would be a last choice when you are under 18 because of the development issues you're worried about. And also because of a higher risk of side effects while younger.

I think because your old enough and have capacity to decide the decision should be up to you. Unless the Dr has a good argument as to why its necessary.

You could request other things like therapy or mental health support supplements. See if that is something they can do.

Ultimately you need to talk to the Dr.

Also having a conversation with a pharmasist could possibly help as they may be able to advice on alternative and they generally know more about the research behind drugs and what the advantages and disadvantages are. It could help you make a more informed decision.

I hope you find something that is helpful xx

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)