RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-07-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
ASkatersDream...

I am currently:
Good/bad foods?

This is a topic I feel come up every so often thought about it last night to be fair.

People saying there is no such thing as good or bad foods.
Now hear me out here it was always imprinted on my brain since a very young age and always told to me fruit veg healthy foods are good foods

Chocolate, cake, crisps, biscuits, pizza etc. Bad foods
Now when people say there is no such thing as good or bad foods it makes me confused?

Like if you had fried breakfast, cheeseburger for lunch pizza for tea. It would be extremely bad for you hense the term bad foods?

Am I just being silly here? What's other people's thoughts?

I know the whole eating in moderation but still believe the foods that actually are to be eaten in moderation are bad foods and especially with the obesity edademic (sp?) it is the truth that some foods are bad for you.

Thoughts?

Believe <3

ASkatersDream... is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 28-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
chinahorse

I am currently:

Some of the bad foods are good for your brain. Foods not just about nourishing the body to me. Its about nourishing all of you. You need fats and the like as well. You do need everything including 'good' foods, in moderation.

Given enough tea I could rule the world.

chinahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

If you're just ate fruit you would get malnourished very quickly.

I think aiming for a balanced diet is what's important and that includes a little of what you fancy.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

It's epidemic :) x

Aardbei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASkatersDream... View Post
Like if you had fried breakfast, cheeseburger for lunch pizza for tea. It would be extremely bad for you hense the term bad foods?
So you prove that your bad foods are bad by combining them to make a daily menu that is unhealthy. Let's look at your good foods and make it into a day's intake: if you have fruit salad for breakfast, an apple for lunch and a salad for dinner, that would also be extremely bad for you so shall we say fruit and veg are bad foods?

I passionately believe that no food is a bad food, because all foods provide nutrients. Toilet roll however, is a bad food because (to my knowledge) it contains no protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins, water or minerals. So it would be a bad food because it in no way nourishes you.

Bacon, cheeseburgers and pizza have a variety of nutrients in them that are essential to good health (protein, carbohydrates, fat). People make fat out to be a bad thing but it has a completely legit role in the body: stored energy, insulation, absorbing certain vitamins and myelinating the nerve fibres in your brain. No myelination means slower transmission of messages in the brain. So arguably fat makes you smarter :P

Yes, you shouldn't eat too many cheeseburgers in a day, but you also shouldn't eat too much fruit in a day as you'd get too much sugar, and you shouldn't make too much of your diet vegetables otherwise you won't get enough calories, carbohydrates, fat etc. The obesity epidemic is not caused by certain foods being "bad", it is caused by people failing to eat in moderation. Obesity is caused by persistently eating more than the RDA of calories, doesn't matter what food they come from (even Slimming World's "free foods" or whatever they call the thing you're allowed an unlimited amount of).

Calling foods bad and good promotes disordered eating and a phobia of fat and unhealthy mindsets.

There is no such thing as an unhealthy food, just an unhealthy diet. I eat a bunch of your so called bad foods every day and maintain a healthy weight (at the low end of normal, but it's my natural weight) and have no physical health problems. There are things that I should improve (like getting my vitamins from fruit and veg not supplements), but my diet is not poor because I eat so called 'bad foods', but because I don't get enough balance.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
So you prove that your bad foods are bad by combining them to make a daily menu that is unhealthy. Let's look at your good foods and make it into a day's intake: if you have fruit salad for breakfast, an apple for lunch and a salad for dinner, that would also be extremely bad for you so shall we say fruit and veg are bad foods?

I passionately believe that no food is a bad food, because all foods provide nutrients. Toilet roll however, is a bad food because (to my knowledge) it contains no protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins, water or minerals. So it would be a bad food because it in no way nourishes you.

Bacon, cheeseburgers and pizza have a variety of nutrients in them that are essential to good health (protein, carbohydrates, fat). People make fat out to be a bad thing but it has a completely legit role in the body: stored energy, insulation, absorbing certain vitamins and myelinating the nerve fibres in your brain. No myelination means slower transmission of messages in the brain. So arguably fat makes you smarter :P

Yes, you shouldn't eat too many cheeseburgers in a day, but you also shouldn't eat too much fruit in a day as you'd get too much sugar, and you shouldn't make too much of your diet vegetables otherwise you won't get enough calories, carbohydrates, fat etc. The obesity epidemic is not caused by certain foods being "bad", it is caused by people failing to eat in moderation. Obesity is caused by persistently eating more than the RDA of calories, doesn't matter what food they come from (even Slimming World's "free foods" or whatever they call the thing you're allowed an unlimited amount of).

Calling foods bad and good promotes disordered eating and a phobia of fat and unhealthy mindsets.

There is no such thing as an unhealthy food, just an unhealthy diet. I eat a bunch of your so called bad foods every day and maintain a healthy weight (at the low end of normal, but it's my natural weight) and have no physical health problems. There are things that I should improve (like getting my vitamins from fruit and veg not supplements), but my diet is not poor because I eat so called 'bad foods', but because I don't get enough balance.
Completely agree.

There is no such thing as 'bad food' as at the very least all food provides energy, which you need.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

when.will.it.end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

It all comes down to quantities and frequencies as well as making decisions about the sourcing of food and preparation of foods.

Take your bad day. If you made it all yourself, mindful of cooking methods etc. there is no reason why eggs & bacon, burger and pizza can't form part of a healthy diet.... even all on one day! (just maybe not every day!)

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Basically came here to say what Jenna said!

And echoing Sarah, if you cooked everything from scratch/fresh and used very good quality ingredients then you could in theory have a cooked breakfast (grilled bacon, poached eggs, grilled sausage and tomato, mushrooms) for breakfast, a pizza for lunch (could use a wrap for a base with mozarella and rocket on top) and for dinner a burger (100% steak mince, herbs etc, wholemeal roll) and I wouldn't say that day was unhealthy.

Maybe look here?http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/...thyeating.aspx

Also losing, maintaining and gaining weight is all down to the calories you eat and the calories you burn. Your body doesn't think to iteslf "oh I've eaten some 'good' foods today so I can lose some weight!" it only thinks "I've eaten under my calorific needs today so I will lose weight in order to use fuel from fat/muscle" or "I've eaten over my calorific needs today and can't burn all the fuel so I will store it as fat for later". So you can eat "bad" foods and still lose weight if your intake is below what you need to keep your weight stable. But you really need to think about what makes your body work properly and stay healthy. You can have a very balanced intake that includes healthy foods AND sugary/carbohydrate rich foods. See the Eatwell Plate.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)