RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Accipiter
 
Accipiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Yorkshire
I am currently:
Uni stressing me out

I don't know what I want to gain by posting in here, I guess I just need to vent.

University is stressing me out so much at the moment. Grrrrr. My boyfriend says I'm just not very good under pressure lol.

Is anyone else finding that uni isn't really helping?

Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Ash*
 
Ash*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Liverpool
I am currently:

I'm in the third year at uni and it's just a year of STRESS.
My personal tutor's probably sick of the sight of me.

There's work after work after work after work ontop of reading onto of reading.
I have exams, coursework, reports, presentations and my dissertation mock up in in the next 2 weeks and I have NO idea how they expect it.

I'm working, as well as being at uni full time, I have a relationship to maintain, sleep to get, friends to see, food to eat.

There's just not enough time in the day!

Sorry about the mini rant in your thread there, but I suppose if you're stressed, go and see your tutor. They'll know people you can talk to, techniques you can use, help you set up a work plan/timetable. Stuff like that.


A lot of people don't work well under pressure,is it supposed to be a bad thing?

I've not hurt myselff for, Gooood, I have no idea, minus a couple of slips ups, it's been over a year, so in that respect no, I don't find it an issue, but I have in the past and when you have people at uni you can go and talk to, and your boyfriend, don't let it become another issue to worry about.

Talk to people,use the help that's available to you and you'll be fine.




"Watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."



Ash* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
ThinkingofRecovery
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greater Manchester
I am currently:

Venting is always helpful I find, so please do carry on.

I graduated quite a number of years ago now so prob not going to be able to be much help. Can you pinpoint what it is about uni that stresses you out and then perhaps deal with each of those things one at a time or in a mor manageable way?



"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

ThinkingofRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

I also find uni is incredibly stressful and when I have lots of deadlines etc, I tend to just collapse. After my first term or so though someone (my CPN or A+E) I believe contacted the mental health co-ordinator who works at student support and since then I have been meeting with her fairly regularly and she arranges extensions, timetable leniances etc etc and is also trained in CBT etc and acts as a therapist of sorts as well. I think most unis have them and you can also do self referrals. May be an alternative if you didn't want to speak to your personal tutor, or you could always use both.





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon
 
shadow-light's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York
I am currently:

I find uni really stressful too... but if when you're feeling particularly bad about it you focus on why you're there (get a degree?) or what you're aiming to do at the end of it it often helps. or you could sort of give yourself little rewards for completing things?

does your uni know you're finding things hard/stressful? they are normally pritty good and understanding with such things

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Accipiter
 
Accipiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Yorkshire
I am currently:

My counsellor and I have been working on breathing techniques and other things to help minimise stress, but I am very easily stressed lol. The thought of having to have an assignment I am finding very hard in for a deadline is enough to start my chain of negative thoughts: You're useless, you're not going to excel at anything, why are you even here? etc. etc. It's very important to me that I do well academically, because basically it's all I have to show in life.

Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
Pomegranate
Petulant
 
Pomegranate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

I don't agree that academia is all you have to show in life. I used to say the same....I was bright and if I didn't do well academically then I was nothing more. Sometimes I still believe this, but gradually I have realised there is more to me than this. I think there is more to you too. Try and give yourself a break. University is hard enough for people who do not have to deal every day with what we deal with. Struggling does not make you weak or a lesser person. If you are struggling for the assignment then ask for an extension. Do you see anyone other than a counsellor? It sounds like maybe you could do with some help to change your thought patters to help you break the negative chain of thoughts you mentioned?

*hugs* take care





*Proud Plumeria Sister*







Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:46 AM.