RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Yellow
No Escape From Solitude
 
Yellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: US
I am currently:
Rock-A-Bye Baby???

i did not think of this on my own. noa(kelly's daughter) brought it up a while back and ive just remembered it.

that song....she said how could it possibly be a peaceful lullaby. i sat like an idiot wondering what she was talking about...and then it hit me!!!!

the song is talking about a baby falling from the top of a tree!!!!
how crazy is that???

and i know ive sang it to Keith before...*shakes finger at herself*

anyone else find this disturbing???

really random but im really bored and cant sleep....





A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.

Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Raven
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

most nursery rhymes and fairytales are actually quite disturbing or unpleasant! humpty dumpty falls and breaks, ring a ring a roses was actually to do with the plague and when they all fell down that was them dying. jack and jill...they fell down a hill and jack broke his crown. little miss muffet was scared off by a spider. you see what i mean?

fairy tales - hansel and gretal are a perfect example - gretal pushes a witch in an oven!!! blue beard had lots of wives and kept their heads in a cupboard! cinderella was kept as a slave. snow white was poisoned. you see where im going with this...





"When I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you" - Dr Samuel Loomis

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
((deleted))
~Ruth~
 
((deleted))'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thanet
I am currently:

edit it:

Rock-a-bye baby
On the tree top
when the wind blows
the cradle will rock
the cradle will rock
and baby will sleep
in a green meadow
all full of sheep.

I edited it for my nephew-looks slightly stupid but it all fits.



"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died


!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!



((deleted)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Trucktastic
Mother Trucker
 
Trucktastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bedfordshire
I am currently:

^^^ thats cute!

And the other one is very odd, you're right Yellow.

Loz x





You don't have to be a monkey to recognize a banana!

Trucktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Kangaroo
No, I'm Not An Aussie
 
Kangaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
I am currently:

My mum changed the last line to "and mummy will catch baby, cradle and all". Much better I think

BTW - why the hell would a baby be up a tree in a cradle in the first place



KANGAROO


I HAVE FAMILY - Blondiebear is my sister


Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

Rock-a-bye-baby On the treetop
When the wind blows,
The cradle will rock.
When the bough breaks,
The cradle will fall
And down will come baby
Cradle and all

The author of this well-loved lullaby was reportedly a pilgrim who sailed on the Mayflower. The Wampanoag Indians, who befriended the colonists, carried their infants in cradleboards on their backs. In temperate weather, they suspended the cradles from tree limbs so that passing breezes could rock the babies while their mothers tended the maize and beans. With typical motherly indulgence, the cradles were decorated with shells, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]beads[/color][/color] and porcupine quills. For sober-minded puritans, the sight of a birch tree festooned with such cradles must have been very memorable indeed.
- The Great American Baby Almanac



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

Or:

The lullaby "Rock-a-bye Baby" is perhaps one of the most famous lullabies throughout history. Originally entitled "Hush-a-bye Baby", this poem is thought to be one of the first to be written in America and perhaps dates back to the 1500's. Of course, like most historical poems or nursery rhymes there is more than one theory to where it derived.

The most popular story about how "Rock-a-bye Baby" came about is the American version about a pilgrim who came upon a Native American and saw the way she had suspended her baby from a tree in a birch bark cradle. The idea was for the wind to sway the suspended cradle and rock the baby to sleep. However, as with any tree branch, there is always the chance a branch may break causing the cradle to fall.

In English history "Rock-a-bye Baby" refers to a family called the Kenyon's. The Kenyon's had a tree house within a huge yew tree. The Kenyon family had eight children and had hollowed out one of the boughs of the tree to be a cradle for the children. This Yew tree at the time was thought to be at least 2000 years old. Today it still stands but has been damaged by vandalism by fire during the 1930's.

Now on to the less popular theories, one of which would be that Effie Crockett (yes, related to Davey) had written the poem while tending to a restless child.

The last theory refers to the baby as King James II, of England. King James II was believed to be a child who was smuggled the birthing room in order to look like he was the legitimate heir of James. The wind is referred to as William III of England (William of Orange) who disposed of James II during the revolution. Finally, the cradle would be the house of Stuart, Stuart Monarchy.

We all know the lyrics to "Rock-a-bye Baby" as,

Rock-a-bye baby, in the tree top

When the wind blows, the cradle will rock

When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall

And down will go baby, cradle and all.

The second set of lyrics are found in the real mother goose, published in 1916

Rock-a-bye baby, the cradle is green

Fathers a nobleman, mothers a queen

And Betty's a lady, and wears a gold ring

And Johnny's a drummer, and drums for the king.



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #8
Queen Crabbit
Are you a florist?
 
Queen Crabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
I am currently:

I remember having this conversation on the way home from the London meet with alex and amy and maja.

/pointless contribution to thread.




&& then buffy staked edward. the end.


Queen Crabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #9
Alyssa!
Fabulous.
 
Alyssa!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oregon
I am currently:

Haha. I remember having this chat awhile back with some friends. But, my mom always changed it like the person above to "and mommy will catch baby cradle and all." It's quite the silly thing.

Alyssa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Margo
 
Margo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I am currently:

I dont remember lulabys or being read to or anyhting. :(

Im sure i had them. ¬.¬

I think its great all these rhymes are so macabre. Kids love it. Teaches the little psychos how to be big psychos when they grow up. *nods and waves chainsaw*

Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
Queen Crabbit
Are you a florist?
 
Queen Crabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
I am currently:

Ew Chainsaws.

*shudders*

Fink I'd probably do a Jo & throw up 10 minutes into anything like that.

In related news: Plea deal offered to 8 year old boy in murder of father and father's friend.

q




&& then buffy staked edward. the end.


Queen Crabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:53 AM.