RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16-03-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
linder surprise
vs. elvis.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I am currently:
chuck palahniuk.

i know there has been a thread on him before (probably many), but they are all long dead, so here's another.
plus. the "quotes" thread made me nostalgic for his books.

i'm sure quite a few/most people have read books by him & apart from just "omg fight club is so good!!11" any other comments?

what have you read? comments on plot/characters?
what are you looking to read?

in order of preference (starting with favourite), i have read:
choke.
fight club.
survivor.
lullaby.
invisible monsters.
diary.



take what you love
burn it down.


linder surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
autosuggestion
magic emily
 
autosuggestion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brighton

My favourite author.

More tomorrow when brain is working.

autosuggestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
Spoons
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
I am currently:

Invisible Monsters.
Survivor
Diary
Fight Club
Choke.

I think i need to re read choke, i just couldnt get into it, its the only palahniuk book i have read that i dont love to pieces.

i want to read rant, i still havent bought it.
I have started lullaby so many times but i have never finished it.

But survivor and invisible monsters are my two fave books ever.

"birds ate my face"
after reading invisible monsters i was bringing up quotes in random convos for weeks.



We are not our failures...


Spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
linder surprise
vs. elvis.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I am currently:

haha. i read the first maybe two chapters of invisible monsters years ago as an e-book, and the only thing i could remember was "birds ate my face."
i bought the book last year or so, and man, i love that quote. it just means so many different things.
it was my signature on here for ages.

i read fight club first (obv) &then choke was the second. i don't know, i love it so much. it's probably one of my favourite books ever, if not my favourite. i haven't read it in a while though. but just tonight, when i was looking through it to find the quote for the other thread, i was flicking through trying to find the quote & i was like "owhh. this book is amazing."

anyway. i will stop rambling.

edit;; and really? diary above fight club? i didn't really enjoy diary at all. maybe it's because i rushed it and read it at like 3am every night for about a week, but there was something about it that i just found.. boring, i guess.



take what you love
burn it down.


linder surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
Ash*
 
Ash*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Liverpool
I am currently:

Just keep asking yourself: 'What would Jesus NOT do?'




"Watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."



Ash* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 02:08 AM   #6
Spoons
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister linda. View Post
haha. i read the first maybe two chapters of invisible monsters years ago as an e-book, and the only thing i could remember was "birds ate my face."

edit;; and really? diary above fight club? i didn't really enjoy diary at all. maybe it's because i rushed it and read it at like 3am every night for about a week, but there was something about it that i just found.. boring, i guess.
maybe they are level, im not sure, i havent read fight club for ages. Whereas Diary was the last palahniuk book ive read and i found it different to other palahniuk books, it was still wonderfully twisted, i guess it was just more imaginative, i dunno, theres just something about it that i really liked.

Survivor was the first palahniuk book i read. I then read choke, which actually put me off starting other palahniuk books for a while but then i found invisible monsters for really cheap and read that. Im still not sure what i prefer survivor or invisible monsters, they keep replacing each other at the top.



We are not our failures...


Spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
Useless Information 101
We're all in this together :)
 
Useless Information 101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PA, USA
I am currently:

My favorites from Chuck Palahniuk are Invisible Monsters (I could reread that every week and still love it), Lullaby, Fight Club, and Rant, but I enjoyed all of his books.

Diary is possibly my least favorite, I didnt really like the conspiracy bit.

Haunted lives up to its name for suree. I was a bit disgusted after reading it, and didn't like it for awhile, but parts of it kept coming back to me and I think the fact that its so gory is why I really like it now.

Palahniuk is definitely one of my favorite authors. I love his writing style and nihilistic tone most of his books have.
I like when lines of his cross over into different books too, it gives me little goosebumps haha.




Dream.


Useless Information 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
xfallenangelx
sarah
 
xfallenangelx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: stansted
I am currently:

i love him, i need to read more of his books
xx





[center]
" I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside."

xfallenangelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
autosuggestion
magic emily
 
autosuggestion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brighton

Choke is my favourite too, there was just so much interwoven and such a great anti-hero.

Lullaby freaked me out but in a totally good way.

Chuck's books are just so fricking clever and funny and modern and dark and overall well-written, gets me every time.

autosuggestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
Spoons
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
I am currently:

What did everyone think of Rant? I havent had the chance to read it yet. How does it compare to his other books? better/ worse?



We are not our failures...


Spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Jukebox
 

Rant is the only one I haven't read. Lullaby is my favourite, easily. I think Fight Club is a bit boring to be honest.

He's a really good author, but not the best ever or anything.

  Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
mmmMinty...
lololololol
 
mmmMinty...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Londres
I am currently:

I've read his short story, guts. Its disgusting.
But its good.



"That is why, for Christ's sake,
I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships,
in persecutions, in difficulties.
For when I am weak, then I am strong"
(2 Corinthians 12:13)


Together We Are Strong <3


mmmMinty... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Useless Information 101
We're all in this together :)
 
Useless Information 101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PA, USA
I am currently:

Rant is seriously one big mindf*** hahah I cant describe it any other way. Its so good though, its different from his other books but it still resembles the other ones.
I had to read it twice after that ending, to fully 'get it'.




Dream.


Useless Information 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
RandomIdiot
 
RandomIdiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
I am currently:

I've read lullaby, i loved it. i also read guts, i thought it was nasty. but i good short story. i want to read all of haunted.





Queer Fringe is my cousin



RandomIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Aphelion
Drug Guardian
 
Aphelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I am currently:

OMG fight club was so goodd!!1111111oneone

Ooops. Slipped.





Aphelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #16
linder surprise
vs. elvis.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I am currently:

i don't know why but neither guts or rant really appeal to me.
i haven't heard much about them though.



take what you love
burn it down.


linder surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
Dreamer And Believer
 
Dreamer And Believer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK

I just finished Invisible Monsters, the first of his I've read.
effing brilliant, in my opinion. Can't wait to read more. a guy at school is supposed to lend me Choke & one other, can't remember which, but I'm psyyyyched.

Dreamer And Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #18
Race The Dream
I love myself and I wanna live...
 
Race The Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007

Fricking hell, I love Chuck Palahniuk

Diary is my favourite :)





Tonight I'm alive just to say I love you to death.



Race The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
*Scarlett*
R.I.P Mum
 
*Scarlett*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Yorkshire
I am currently:

I'm just reading choke now. Not read much yet but it seems ok.

*Scarlett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 08:39 PM   #20
destructogirl
Alice
 
destructogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: kent
I am currently:

i love palahniuk
read almost all of them- not rant or non fiction though

lullaby or invisible monsters are my favourites
haunted is probably my least, good individual stories, but the overall plotline was a little weak i felt
also i LOVED choke.





ilovemyrylfamily


destructogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:41 AM.