RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 04-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Voldemort

Now that Summer's here, we'll be needing cover up tips

There was a thread about this on the old site, and I thought it was pretty good - so before we get a billion threads about proms, parties, trips, holidays etc etc...let's keep it to one thread.

Basically, if you have or need any ideas for hiding scars, this is place to come to!

I'll start off with a few of the obvious. For scars on your arms there are things like:
  • Arm warmers.
  • Sweat bands.
  • Tubi grips (Ace bandages in America I believe).
  • Chunky braclets, or just a lot of beaded ones.
  • Big watches.
  • Fish net arm bands.
  • Dermablend - a camouflage make up designed to cover marks and scars available in the UK (link) and the US (link).
  • Skin camouflage available through the Red Cross. It's similar to dermablend, but you can be referred by your GP or a consultant. Click here for more details. There are also other types of water proof cover up make up, so it shouldn't come off with sweat, though it may not endure long emersion quite so well.
  • For swimming - long sleeved rash tops.
Obviously some of those will only work if there's just one problem area, or if the scars aren't too noticable. If you like sticking to long sleeves, kaftan tops are in style again. They're really light and look good with jeans.

Scars on the legs can be hidden by skin coloured tights - it doesn't sound like it'd work, but I know of a couple of people with badly scarred legs and skin coloured tights cover them up really well. I only notice them because I know they're there. Tights are cooler than trousers and can obviously be worn with skirts, but also cropped trousers.
  • Skin coloured tights.
  • Fish net tights.
  • Board shorts - stylish and great for swimming.
  • Long fashion socks - plain bright colours or stripey. Cotton ones are light and cool.
  • Combat trousers - light and cool to wear.
  • Long skirts are 'in' this year as well, they cover up quite a bit.
Riiight, that's my contribution, feel free to add anything you can think of!

Oh, and also, scar reducing products, these take time but can have some really good results with fading red and keloid scars:
  • Bio oil, one of the most commonly recognized. It can be quite expensive, but you only need to use a few drops 2 or 3 times a day for it to work. I've heard that results can vary from 3 weeks to a couple of months, but it's worth doing. Click for more information.
  • Cocoa butter, again, well heard of and used. This also softens the scars which will help new ones to heal better. (That is, new scars, don't use any scar products on open wounds).
  • Vitamin E oil, use in much the same way as cocoa butter - 2 or 3 times a day, it moisturizes the skin and encourages the scar tissue to soften and heal. You can also get vitamin E capsules to burst on your skin and rub in.
  • Palmer's scar serum. This isn't talked about as much as the other products, so I'm not entirely sure about how well it works. If anyone has any experience, please share! Again, you use it 2 to 3 times a day, and result times vary. Click for more information.
  • Any products for stretch marks can help fade scars as well. There are plenty out there on the market, some cheaper than others. I actually watched a programme on TV that tested stretch mark products one week and the cheapest one was rated the most effective.
  • Scar reduction sheets. I know that in the UK they are available in Boots, I'm not sure of any stores in the US that sell them, but there are a few places online that sell them. Reviews for scar reduction sheets and gels.
Another thing to remember with scars is that they're very prone to damage from the sun. So if you do go out in the sun, make sure any visible ones have sun cream on them. The sun will help them a lot, but it's important not to let them burn. Moisturizing scars can also make their appearance less harsh, and will probably make you feel more comfortable as well.

The important thing is just not to worry. If you feel like you need to cover up, then do so, but if you don't want to - don't. It can be scary and intimidating, but it needn't be. Often our scars are more obvious to us - we know that they're there and will be very conscious of that fact until we become comfortable with them. Chances are, even if people notice, they aren't going to say anything. A few might stare, and you may get the odd comment, but if they have a problem with it, that's all it is - their problem, not yours.

So just enjoy the good weather!

Last edited by Voldemort : 03-02-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
71 Hugs Given By :
2 much things at once, 3 inches from the edge, alive outside dead inside, Allie White, AmyShmamy, banana_bearxx, BeautifulFreak24, BlackBurnMercury, Born Wrong, BrokenKisses, coasterguy181, Dan, Dying_Angel, em., embie, endlessyouth, fallen wings44, GlitterTrashDoll, Gothir, greenspot, Haleigh.xx, HopeIsLost, HurtingDeepInside, iloveher, itss jennnn, Jaydan, joyjoyandmimi, Katiee, killjoy4977, kona, ladybug, Lanny, lil_attie, Little Lost Clock, Lonely Flower, lonely_hope, Louise, Love, Erica, Love_Bug, MammaMia, Mayhem, nightmarebeforehalloween, Onurbual, Patch., perfecx, princess_suicide_fairy, prs100, QuickFade, raenydaiz, Raito Yagami, ravynsoul, Rhinestone, ScarsWillNeverFade, Shine., Silent Screams, skylarks123, sn0w_white_queen, Stayci2k8, Steel Maiden, Stop., suicidal~lullaby, Sweenette, The Black Parade, The Stolen One, theity, victim_of_life, xxBeautiful_Disgracexx, YinYang, Ytak, [IrishWaterfall]-x-, [Redemption]
Old 04-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Infatuated

I am currently:

I was waiting for this thread to be started again.
Could you ask a mod (or whoever has the magic powers) to sticky it, so that people can always see it?

Infatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Useless Information 101
We're all in this together :)

I am currently:

Another product that is good for covering scars is "Dermablend".
Its like stage makeup but is very light and covers well. I used it last summer on very bad scarring. It blended perfectly and noone knew they were there unless they would have run their hand down my arms or legs.
It comes in alot of shades and are available in many department stores in america. I dont know if its the same for the UK.

Make sure you enjoy your summer too. Dont let stress over your scars ruin it.

:)

Dream.

Useless Information 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Fridays_nightmare
Beware the toast that has no ears

I am currently:

In the UK you can get your gp to send you to the red cross for skin camoflauge like dermablend, they match it to your skin tone and you can get it on prescription.

Fridays_nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Voldemort

Ok, great, thanks guys.

What I might do is add stuff to the main post as we go along? That way it would save people scrolling through pages of tips.

I'll credit people for the suggestions if you want, or not, what d'ya reckon?

Voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Infatuated

I am currently:

I think just adding to the main post would be a great idea. 'Cos there was a lot of pages on the last one.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Queen Crabbit
Are you a florist?

I am currently:

Yeah, add to the main post :)

&& then buffy staked edward. the end.

Queen Crabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
beautifulpain

I am currently:

For scars on my legs I just put some normal foundation lightly over the top of them, and wear skin colour tights. That works pretty well.

Also if your wearing a skirt you can wear footless tights or leggings

beautifulpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Eska

I am currently:

Fishnet-style gloves work very well - you don't get too hot and they're easy to make.
I guess fishnet tights would be good, too.

It's a long way down
On this rollercoaster.

Eska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #10
droppedmyoreo

I am currently:

cotton loose fitting long sleves are light and cooler then other materials
light cotton knee socks, hand made ones from sport weight yarn are coolest, and sturdy.
tights in a variety of colors,
Mederma- helps heal scars. Works well in my opinion
arm bands and thick braclets work well for covering up wrist scars.
Long Loose skirts to cover up scarred legs.
Hope these ideas help, hope you find somthing that works for you.

^.^ My RYl Family ^.^

droppedmyoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Dan
Beyond Repair.

I am currently:

Thanks for the advise.

On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
Infatuated

I am currently:

Tea tree oil can sometimes help with scars beacuse it is a natural antiseptic and it helps to moisturise the skin and soften it.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
x-dying-inside-x
*Dan*

I am currently:

in primark they are doing this beach wear dress thing, its three pounds and you can put in oer vest tops and things.

" my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trials and suffering. When you see only one set of footprints it was then that I carried you" you were carried out of are lifes into the next and when its my time to leave this life I know i will be carried into the next life with you.
I wish i had my world complete again.
'Can we protend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars, i could really use a wish right now' BoB

x-dying-inside-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #14
Hannah_x
Scientist

I am currently:

I'm just gonna say the Red Cross thing again (:
I've had a referral and have an appointment in a couple of weeks with the Red Cross folk, I'll tell you all how it goes.
xxxx

Hannah_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:14 PM   #15
SuperDave
Look my liege, Camelot!!!!!!!!!

I am currently:

good old fashioned confidence!!!!!!!!!!

if you don't care about your scars others will still notice but not to the extent where they scrutinise every scar and demand a life story for each one.

"Last Train To Skaville"

SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #16
Samz
Peter Pan

I am currently:

Combat trousers for legs. They're pretty loose so they don't add to temperature too much and they obviously cover up everything.

take my hand, & we'll make it i swear.

Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
surprising mystery

I am currently:

Glad I saw this thread. I might try the Red Cross when I have finally stopped, but that wont be soon. :/ I have bio-oil and I did once try liquid vit E capsules and burst them and massage the oil into my skin. I think they are good cos they sort of soften your skin and give it an all over sheen, which kinda blends the skin. < babbling :P I know.

X Marie X

L_M_G is my mummy :) inkerman and razorbladedarling are my two non-identical twin sprogs (concieved on same day) Scabette< cos she has the cutest puppy dog eyes and i cant resist!feeling-afraid< my bottle of glitter!! which i just have to have :Pmidnight stars< my gorgeous sister, whom i love to bits ;) Dance With The Fairy< *star*gazing*buddie :] Broken-Fairy is my partner in crime ;) little_miss is my real life saviour PaperClip is my stationary queen

surprising mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #18
_plastic

i love this thread ,thanks for posting it again !

A little angel fell into my arms at the 7th of december 2010
xx Angel my babysisterxx

_plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #19
Sofie

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droppedmyoreo View Post
light cotton knee socks, hand made ones from sport weight yarn are coolest, and sturdy.
Where can I get these from please? I have tights, but they don't last long and I keep getting holes in mine.

Sofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Behind the Smile
a single step.

I am currently:

Vitamin E cream is ace :)
Big bright chunky bracelets to draw attention away too

If we fall,
we don't need self recrimination or blame or anger -
we need a reawakening of our intention
and a willingness to re-commit,
to be whole hearted once again.

Behind the Smile is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)