RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
ninna
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Balancing work and counseling

I am in grad school and currently not working. I am thinking about starting to work next semster. I am in counseling at my schools counseling center and I like the counselor that I have but she is only available Wednesdays and Fridays. If I were able to get a job how do you ask for time off for counseling? It would only need to be an hour and a half to two hours max. Or can you ask your boss for time off for that? I'm in the US and I can't find an answer online.

ninna is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
MrsNutkin
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Somewhere only we know...
I am currently:

sorry not sure of the answer in the US but wanted to reply. I think you can in the UK

MrsNutkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
oops*i*did*it*again
 
oops*i*did*it*again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Aylesbury
I am currently:

I am also UK based but what's the harm in asking would be my first thought?
Over here there are some jobs where it would be at managers discretion and contracts all have loopholes and whatnot so the only sure fire way of knowing is asking your boss. I know it's scary, and it might feel 'wrong' - but it is your right to take care of your mental health every bit as much as your physical health. Biting the bullet might be terribly difficult but once it's done you will know where you stand. It is important that you don't sacrifice your mental health for a job in which you may then potentially not cope so well with if your mental health were to deteriorate.
Good luck and keep us updated x



Save me, O God!
The water is up to my neck;
2 I am sinking in deep mud,
and there is no solid ground;
I am out in deep water,
and the waves are about to drown me.
3 I am worn out from calling for help,
and my throat is aching.
I have strained my eyes,
looking for your help.

oops*i*did*it*again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Laura2.0
 
Laura2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany

Hi,
if I were you I would ask them if it was possible that you don't work during the times you said and wait if they ask a question.
I've had a job where they didn't care much about the actual time I worked there if the work got done.

If they ask I think I would tell them the truth, that way you know their point of view on mental health (which can be very helpful to know) and you might feel more confortable at work if they have a positive attitude towards it.



You survived the abuse.
You're gonna survive the recovery.

- Olivia Benson

Laura, Ginger, Cassi, Luna, Joni, Lena


Laura2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
talaiporia
Chat Mod
 
talaiporia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: W. London
I am currently:

Most employers would be willing to be flexible. You could also try agreeing to work through your lunch (let's say that's an hour) or come in early/stay late or work extra another day. Most employers don't mind as long as you make up the hours.



It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.


talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:26 PM.