RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
thesamename
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Can I lose my job?

I should know the answer to this I know, its completely remiss of me to not even understand the rules around this but it's difficult to ask without arousing suspicion.

Can I get forced to take time off work or even sacked for self harming? (I'm a psych nurse). I don't intend anyone to ever find out but if they did I'm terrified. I never really worried much about this (I don't tell anyone or access any MH services myself, I believe it has no bearing on my patient care and I've had no complaints) but I've recently moved teams and some of the talk in the office concerns me.

To clarify the talk isn't nasty, it's difficult to explain but it's almost over sympathetic to people who self harm.

thesamename is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Shrink
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I am currently:

Hmm, its a tough one.

I work as a carer for the elderly in a private care home, they know all about my self harm and mental health issues there and i have not been in trouble. When i struggle too much with everything and it impacts on my work (ie being too tearful or anxious to work) then they recommend i take time off. I wear long sleeves even though its technically not allowed, i explained i roll them up a little when i do personal care and can carry out proper handwashing. They have referred me to occupational health, but only to help me. I have cooperated with their recommendations to take time off, and agreed to see to see occupational health... so, i've not had any problems.

As far as i know, they cant sack me for having mental health issues, even if they impact a certain amount. BUT i dont know if this would be different for you given your position? It depends on whether it really doesnt impact on your work. Why do you ask? Is there anyway they could/would find out? I cant see them finding out if its not impacting on your work... if that makes sense?

As an aside, only continue if you really feel you can. It must be very hard. Theres nothing wrong with taking a little time off.

Shrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
thesamename
 
Join Date: Apr 2013

I'm worried about them either finding out if I seek help through the same trust or if I need to visit A&E. Or me blurting it out for some unknown reason - this has never happened but I'm having a paranoia.

thesamename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Becca
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I am currently:

You are still entitled to patient confidentiality, as much as anyone else, and I speak from personal experience when I say if that is broken they will face severe disciplinary, being a member of staff doesn't give them the right to read your notes or discuss you.

If you went to A&E they would ask if you wanted to see anyone, professionally the person sent would not be allowed to be someone who knows you, so if for example you work exclusively with people who visit A&E and are in that team, they would have to find someone outside your team to see you *and* they are not allowed to discuss it.

The worst, in my experience, that would happen was they would ask you to speak to occupational health.

I hope that helps you.

Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
thesamename
 
Join Date: Apr 2013

Hey, thanks that really does put my mind at a bit of ease. I'm not at all planning a trip to A&E but it plays on my mind cos obviously these things do happen.

Our team have a close relationship with A&E and i did once have to go for a very personal problem (a condom got stuck eek) it was a nurse i knew (I'm sure i could have requested another but I didn't as I felt they are all very professional) but she was 100% lovely and professional and I'm very sure she never mentioned it cos my colleagues, lovely as they are, do love to tease and they couldn;t have kept that knowledge quiet.

I guess I feel I'd be more embarrassed by self harm.

thesamename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Becca
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I am currently:

I'm glad it helped put you at ease; and it helps to know how things should work in A&E even if you never have to use it for that reason, I worry about going too even though I don't work there anymore. Some people are able to keep their professional and personal relationships with people they know separate but in my experience that is quite rare. Most won't mind you asking to speak to someone else.

I understand you being more embarrassed.

Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:12 PM.