RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
Samuel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
I am currently:
Finally seeking help.. but how?

Hi,

First things first I hope I am veteran (read: old) enough to post in the veterans corner, I certainly feel it. If not if this thread could be moved it would be much appropriated. I'm 20 (despite feeling about 45) but I haven't been on this forum regularly for a good few years hence seeing myself as somewhat of a veteran.

Anyway. Without really knowing how to word it, I've been having what I can only describe as a **** time for the past 8 or so years. I've never spoke to anyone about but I figure it's about time I did so as over the course of the past 2-3 months since starting university things have only got worse and I can't see things improving any time soon.. so yeah.

What exactly do I do? I've read various times the best way to bring up mood issues (for lack of a better word) whilst being on good terms with your GP, which is somewhat problem for me as I haven't been to the doctors in a good 5-6 years and the doctor whom I used to see has since retired so I'm hardly on good terms with anybody in the building..

I've other reasons (potentially related I guess) that I could benefit from seeing a GP about, but I'm still unsure how to bring it all up. Do I just walk in and say I'm miserable? Do I try and be subtle with it? Do I pray the GP can read my mind?

Apologies for the vague poorly worded post, but the short version is how on Earth do I tell a GP that I am far from happy and am fed up of dealing with it myself without coming across as... well.. an idiot?

Many thanks,
Samuel



Heaven makes me free of it,
and the rest is silence.

Proud supporter of a movement I'm not allowed to be proud of.

Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Sooty
Sophie
 
Sooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East Sussex
I am currently:

Hi Samuel

I think it's great that you've got to the point where you recognise that you may need some extra support from your GP.

I had this same dilemma when I started uni and hence had a new GP who didn't know any of my past. How I approached it, was to write a letter. I typed around half a page, printed it out and took it to my appointment. I just gave it to the GP who read it all carefully and that broke the ice. Letters are good because you don't have the risk of forgetting something important and they can keep it on their records as a proof of exactly how you feel.

I've just found the letter that I took still on my lap top from nearly three years ago:

The following content has been hidden - Reason : Letter
I have made this appointment because I feel depressed every day and have done for a number of years now. I have visited my GP twice before about this, the first time when I was 15 which was forced on me by parents and the second time in September 2008 which resulted in a referral to CBT which I had for around 9 months. The CBT was successful in stabilising self destructive behaviours (self harm, binge/starve eating patterns etc) which was what I mainly wanted help for. I have not self harmed for 10 months now and the eating swings are much less extreme so CBT has helped however I still feel depressed and anxious every day and over the last month or so it has got considerably worse to a point where it is affecting my appetite and sleeping, whereby I’m either sleeping around 12 hours a day or not sleeping at all. Small things trigger anxious feelings which can sometimes snowball into intense paranoid thoughts which are becoming more frequent. I often have the sense of not feeling ‘real’ like I’m living outside of my own head and I can’t seem to function or interact with people properly. When I feel like this I feel extremely self destructive and impulsive and although I haven’t acted on these destructive urges, I am feeling like this more and more often and for longer periods of time and so am afraid I could act on it soon. I have recently been to the Community Mental Health Drop In service as somewhere to go when I need to get away from campus and all the people I live with however I have come here today to sort myself out because I feel I’m near to breaking point.


Good luck lovely.

Sophie.x



Soon... Now will be then...Today will be yesterday... Present will be past...And thought will be memory... So...Live for the future! Make your future how you want it!

Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself
 
Fire Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United Kingdom of backwards thinking?
I am currently:

Hi,
I don't think it matters that you haven't seen a doctor for a while. To be honest I hadn't seen my original GP for 6 years as I moved countries and moved back. All I said was that I'm feeling really low and they will take it from there and ask you the questions. Generally I found that I over think things and make them worse in my head than they actually are. Just be honest about how you're feeling. If you think you will freeze up and nothing will come out about how you're feeling then maybe you could write some bullet points or some stuff on paper and hand it over if you freeze up so you still get the support you need/want.

Good luck x



Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -


The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln


Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Samuel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
I am currently:

Many thanks for the replies.

Writing things down is a good shout, I hadn't thought of that. Suddenly realising that there's no easy way about this which is what I was hoping, but writing things down is definitely easier than stuttering words all over the place so I'll get on it.

Sorry for the influx of questions but I've also read/heard most GPs aren't overly keen on self diagnosing? I'm not one to base my mental health off of an online bebo quiz so I won't walk in saying I am depressed but I'm unsure how else I can get my point across. Given my lack of diagnoses I just feel like somewhat of a cheat using the word depressed (or similar).
Will saying I am not happy suffice? Do I mention self destructive behaviour? Do I have to ask for a therapist or will they suggest it?

Apologies again for the silly questions but I've no idea how this whole thing works and I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.



Heaven makes me free of it,
and the rest is silence.

Proud supporter of a movement I'm not allowed to be proud of.

Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Fire Fly
Feel free to be yourself
 
Fire Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: United Kingdom of backwards thinking?
I am currently:

That's generally true doctors and professionals don't like peopele self diagnosing as you can have a few symptoms which fit into different diagnosis.

I think you should definitely say about the self destructive behaviours. Just say how you feel. 'I feel really low and down' - if that's how you feel. Let your GP take it from there and just be honest about the answers and how you truly feel. If they think you need counselling they will refer you to IAPT whilst still being in primary care and if they think its more complex then they will refer you to secondary care which is CMHT.

But definetly take it written down incase you do forget or can't get the words out.

Good luck x



Ballerina123 - My lovely superstar

Call me R -


The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time - Abraham Lincoln


Fire Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
squiggles
 
squiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I am currently:

Hi,
I went to my GP back in April. As I recall I told her that I was unhappy, had been for several months and wanted to be able to live life to the full but didn't have the energy or interest in life to be able to do this.
She asked about my mood and how often I felt "low". She asked whether I had contemplated suicide. She also asked how it affected my life, which at the time was going to work and sleeping with nothing of interest inbetween because I didn't have the energy.
Once we had discussed this she suggested the options of medication or talking therapy and we agreed that I would be referred for talking therapy which I am still recieving.
It was hard to approach it but now I have I wish I'd done it years ago because I'd been living a half life for over 8 years.
Anyway, I hope it all goes well for you and you're able to get the support you need.
Regards
Liz

squiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Samuel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
I am currently:

Thanks again for the replies, lots of useful information.

I've made a few mental notes of things to say, so now it's just a case of putting pen to paper and then finding the courage to ring the bleeding doctors surgery! I'll get on it this week.

One last daft question, given that I am an NHS patient can I safely assume this will all be free in terms of potential therapy/medication? Being a rather broke student I'm not sure I can afford to splash big bucks but at the end of the day if it has to be done I guess I'll just have to cut down on spending money at the pub...

Thanks again,
Samuel



Heaven makes me free of it,
and the rest is silence.

Proud supporter of a movement I'm not allowed to be proud of.

Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Strawberry Xs
 
Strawberry Xs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Norfolk
I am currently:

Hi,

Not sure how your uni works, but the uni I'm at offers it's own counselling service separate from the Drs. I had to fill in an application form for counselling and it asks you to rate how you're feeling about different things based on a scale. I also opted for 'email counselling' as I completely clam up if face-to-face with someone. The first email I sent was really long, I put more in that than I ever would have done face-to-face. Might be worth checking your uni's website for support services offered. :)



Strawberry Xs

Strawberry Xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Samuel
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England
I am currently:

That's a good shout but I wasn't actually planning on going to the university GP as I am still living at home whilst studying and the local GP is closer than the university GP by about 3 miles.


Replies to this thread has been overly helpful, thank you all very much.



Heaven makes me free of it,
and the rest is silence.

Proud supporter of a movement I'm not allowed to be proud of.

Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:10 AM.