RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
RAWWR
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cardiff
I am currently:
Finding somewhere to live?

Hey there,
I've never posted in vets before. Suppose i've never really needed to, any other support i've needed has been able to be put in any of the other forums, but this one's a bit different and I think I need an adults perspective.
So this morning my mum sat me down, and told me that i've got a week to find somewhere else to live or i'm on the streets. I'm 18, and i've got no income and nowhere else to go. I've got absolutely no idea where to start with finding somewhere to live, or indeed, finding some source of income, as past attempts at working/college etc have been met with my mental health deteriorating, and usually results in increased self harm and suicide attempts, and an even lowering self esteem. I've attempted to talk to my GP about this but she is insisting that i'm fine and refusing to listen when I attempt to explain how i'm really feeling.
I honestly just don't know what to do, i'm scared and confused, and part of me is telling me that i'd be better off dead, at least then I wouldn't have these problems.
Someone please help? :(

RAWWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Cacoethes
90's B*tch
 
Cacoethes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyrule
I am currently:

try Shelter, i think they can help with stuff like this
x



I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!


Who else is fine?!?!?


Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
raspberry_swirl
 
raspberry_swirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear about this.
Do you have any friends or extended family you could stay with?
Definitely phone shelter, and try contacting the council too about emergency accommodation?
xx

raspberry_swirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
RAWWR
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cardiff
I am currently:

Thanks guys, does anyone know if Shelter has an email? As phones make me extremely anxious. :/

RAWWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Cacoethes
90's B*tch
 
Cacoethes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyrule
I am currently:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...dvice_by_email


x



I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!


Who else is fine?!?!?


Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
miss_vegan
 
miss_vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I am currently:

I agree Shelter, and the council are good options.

I'm sorry that you're going through this, but hunni you're never better off dead. I can't pretend to have been in the same situation, but even if you can't see it right now, there are people who love and care about you.

If Shelter and the council can't help immediately, try a friend for a night or two, until the previously mentioned organisations can find you somewhere.

Try to keep your chin up, things will get better, even if they don't feel like it right now.

miss_vegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Comatose.
 
Comatose.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Wales
I am currently:

I don't know what to say :|

But I really hope this turns out okay for you, and even though I have no idea who you are if you were in North Wales, I'd let you stay in my flat haha! (As creepy as that sounds.)

Comatose. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
Whispered Secret
 
Whispered Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008

Hunni, I'd go to the council offices and CAB if I were you and see if they can help. Oxford has quite a lot of housing help thingies, so they may well be able to find support for you. xx



"Keep your heart open to dreams. For as long as there's a dream, there is hope, and as long as there is hope, there is joy in living."


Whispered Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
RAWWR
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cardiff
I am currently:

Hey guys, sorry i've been neglecting this thread, So much has been going on that i've just not really known what to do..
I emailed shelter straight away, and had no reply, I emailed again last night because I was desperate, no reply yet.
I have also tried every emergency housing place both me, and my youth worker, could think of. None had spaces, and the only one that did, no longer had a place in Oxfordshire.
The council have made me an 'emergency' meeting-for the 9th November. I'm not quite sure what part of 'I'm going to be homeless on Monday' they don't understand, but apparently that's the best they can do.
My mum's refusing to give me even until the 9th, and is adamant that i'm out tomorrow.
So I suppose now my question is-has anyone got any tips for keeping warm and safe out there? :/

RAWWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Wonderland.
 
Wonderland.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007

That's really sad that your mum is doing that to you.

Have you got no other family or friends that you could stay at for a few nights?

Have you tried ringing up shelter rather than emailing them as they may have some suggestions.

Nightstop may be able to help I think they are only for 16-25 so I'd try get in touch with them if you fit in the age bracket.

Do you have money for a cheap b&b you could sleep in for a few nights?

As for sleeping out rough make sure you keep yourself warm have plenty of layers on and keep as best away from the wind and rain as you can. Certain building have heating things around the back, so I'd look out for shelter by these.

Don't sleep directly on the ground have something underneath you to help prevent you from getting hypothermia.

If you know of any streets where outreach workers tend to help homeless people then take shelter there as they may bring free food, water and blankets.

Can't think of anything else right now but I hope that helps to some extent.

Take care.
Amy x



'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥


Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
RAWWR
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cardiff
I am currently:

Thanks, I haven't got any family or friends to stay with, I physically cannot use the phone, I don't think that there's a nightstop in my area, either..and I have 17p.. :(
So it's the streets, i'm going to take as many clothes as I can and layer them on at night. I know a place which is up a flight of stairs and has a porch bit and walls on 3 sides, i'm thinking that would be the best place to stay because it'd be sheltered from the rain? I know that a guy from the youth centre will give me food-he tries to force it on me whenever I go in!-so I know I can get that... :/
I'm scared.. :(

RAWWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Wonderland.
 
Wonderland.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007

I'm so sorry that it's come to this, I don't understand how your mum can put you through this at all.

I wish you lived closer as then I'd let you stay at mine.

That's good that your friend will provide you with food (:

I'm just wondering whether there are any free homeless helplines... I'll have a search and get back to you.



'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥


Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
Wonderland.
 
Wonderland.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007

Apparently the Shelter phone number is free, may not be on a mobile though.

There is an charity called Crisis Skylight Oxford which is to help single homeless people. The address of it is in the link, hopefully it is near you.

I'll try and find if there is anything else in your area.



'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥


Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
Wonderland.
 
Wonderland.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007

There is also this it's about a scheme like nightstop called No Second Night Out in Oxford. I would suggest emailing them to see if they can help.

Also found this its a hostel type place in Oxfordshire called One Foot Forward, you could make a referral to them.

Found a nightstop in Oxfordshire.

Hope you manage to find somewhere to stay tomorrow.


Last edited by Wonderland. : 28-10-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: added more info.


'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥


Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
RAWWR
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cardiff
I am currently:

Thanks, that's really helpful :) I'll check them out.

RAWWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Wonderland.
 
Wonderland.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007

Glad to be of service (:



'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥


Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Ballerina123
XXX
 
Ballerina123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North east England
I am currently:

This is really sad. I was homeless in Oxford and one I got into the system I found that it was really helpful. Thankfully I had a sofa to sleep on to keep me off the streets for a few days.


Let us know how your get on. Although I imagine after Monday you will have little Internet access. Either Way hope it all works out for you x



The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.


Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.


Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Solstice
No longer inpatient
 
Solstice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I am currently:

Praying for you for sure, I am currently homeless too though I am fortunate enough to have a car to stay in. I go to coffee shops and the library during the day to keep warm and have something to do (I take my laptop). Do you have a laptop? I don't know if the UK has places that would buy used ones but maybe if they do you could consider selling yours so that you would have a few nights in a hostel or something? Just a suggestion. I hope you're doing okay.



Angels are friends who support you when your wings forget to fly.


Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
Wonderland.
 
Wonderland.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007

Thinking of you and praying that you were safe last night. I really hope you find somewhere to live ASAP.



'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥


Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:06 PM.