RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
DannieGirl
Dannie
 
DannieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: west sussex, uk
I am currently:
quetiapine and pregnancy

hey people
i'm planning on starting to try for a baby and am wondering if anyone knows what the situation of being on qutiapine is... i have read that it's been ok to be on it...aswell as the opposite and the unknown... i will be seeing my gp tomorrow and be talking to her about it... i have just finished weening myself off the venlafaxine as i have heard horror stories of it causing miscarriages and stuff and i already lack in an ovary and worry about my fertility..

so does anyone know?
if not- sorry for time wasting!



http://fairly-odd-dannie.blogspot.co.uk/

http://fairlyodddannie.wordpress.com







DannieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
WastedSoul
 
Join Date: Sep 2011

omfg, venaflaxine causes WAT? i'm on tht shyte an had a miscarriage a few mnths ago.. gna b talkn 2 gp bout this one.. faaaaarout..

WastedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
WastedSoul
 
Join Date: Sep 2011

how long did it take u to wean off the effxor?

WastedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Cianna
Meep!
 
Cianna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
I am currently:

My leaflet advices to consult a gp if you're planning to get pregnant while using it, and not to use it at all (unless discussed with a doctor) during the pregnancy, nor use it during breastfeeding.



Tell me that past times won't die.
Tell me that old lies are alive.

Yes, it's the cat from Shrek.


Cianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
WastedSoul
 
Join Date: Sep 2011

yeap.. the pregnancy was a total surprise.. ah man.. now for a whole new load of emotion sorting and thought filtering, i'm glad i'm medicated today or i may have landed up just biffing the **** away lol.. gr....

WastedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
effervescence
tired
 
effervescence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I am currently:

Venlafaxine may actually be safer than quetiapine as the latter has not been researched enough therefore should be taken only if the benefits are deemed by medical professionals to outweigh the risks. However, it shouldn't really be used in pregnancy and shouldn't be used in breastfeeding. Generally I would not advise taking any kind of antipsychotics type medication without careful assessment by a medical professional. They have to weigh up the potential risks to the baby compared with risks to your safety, and therefore the baby's safety, if you don't take it. I have a feeling that the effects are usually more dangerous very early and then very late in pregnancy so the longer you could go into your pregnancy without taking anything the better. However, this depends on your stability without meds.



Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.


effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #7
Mandimoo
Mummy!!
 
Mandimoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Newport, South Wales
I am currently:

when i was pg the gp discussed putting me on a small dose of citalopram - didn't do it and i know it's not the same - but he said all medication in pregnancy is risky as the vast majority of pregnant women would not consent to testing and it is now deemed unethical to ask. so every situation has to be weighed up individually, and its often a case of 'which is the lesser evil' a small chance of harming the baby/pregnancy, or a pregnant woman wanting to jump off a bridge (just love how drs think depression = suicide!). made sense to me.



Mand, South Wales, Full-time working, single mother to 2 scarily independent girls.
I AM A PROUD PLUMERIA SISTER

Mand x

Mandimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
DannieGirl
Dannie
 
DannieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: west sussex, uk
I am currently:

so my gp said t keep weening off the quetiapine and is glad (and impressed) that i got myself off the venlafaxine...
i took about a month to come off the venlafaxine- i still get brain zaps from it... do it slowly..like 75mg every 2-3 weeks...and on the last 75mg i suggest you half the dose to 37.5mg... you can get tabs in that dose. buti tell you.. i haven't taken the venlafaxine for 2 weeks and every night i get a headache and feel motion sick..
either way i am getting off meds! woop... my gp (whom ive been seeing for years) was funny... she got all excited..which i wasn't expecting...all day i was thinking how am i going to broach the subject and in the waiting room there was this little girl of about 9 months floating about and babbling at me..and when the doc came and got me she said "hope you haven't got all broody waiting in the sitting room" and i said "hah funny you should say that" =p so i tell you that was a HUUUUGE relief =p



http://fairly-odd-dannie.blogspot.co.uk/

http://fairlyodddannie.wordpress.com







DannieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Sunshine
This girl just cant take it anymore
 
Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: london
I am currently:

You should definatly talk to your gp because I was stopped on depakote before I got pregnant because it can cause spin abifidta in babies and I was also taken on my anti depressant as it was a new one and they arnt sure how safe it is. But I stayed on respiridone as it is an older so they know it doesn't cause serious damage to the baby! However they do not know the consequenses of any drug during pregnancy for certain as they can really test on pregnant women so its just by looking at women who have been on the drug in the past but its different for every women and baby. They kept on saying with me, 'you have to make sure the benefits outweigh the negatives' but then when I was 7 months they said it could cause neurological problems! So they really don't know!

Also different drugs effect the baby at different trimesters.

But my advice would be if you can manage without the drugs do it because eventhough my little man is fine the worry and guilt I felt because of the uncertaincy was horrible and I would have stopped the drugs if they had let me!

Also you might be transfered to a perinatal psychitrist if you do get pregnant because they can tell you more about the drug your on as they specialise in women who are preganant and after pregnancy!

Good luck and take care
X



My Angels
♥ Madeline 09/02/1990
Edward 10/02/1990 ♥

I want to live, not merely survive


Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
effervescence
tired
 
effervescence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I am currently:

Well done for weaning yourself off, great work.



Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.


effervescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
DannieGirl
Dannie
 
DannieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: west sussex, uk
I am currently:

i'm now down to 200mg quetiapine at night..and man am i aching like anything...feel like i have flu or something...must be the withdrawl...cs i had a flu jab in october lol =p



http://fairly-odd-dannie.blogspot.co.uk/

http://fairlyodddannie.wordpress.com







DannieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
StillCrazy
 
StillCrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
I am currently:

Hello

I took Quetiapine in my pregnancy at 50mg from 11 weeks gestation till about 20 weeks after that till 36 weeks i reduced it down 25mg with my perinatal psych aware. At 36 weeks i weaned myself off of it as i wanted to reduce the withdrawal symptoms my baby would have after birth. My baby had no withdrawal symptoms when born and I believe this is due to coming off at 36 weeks. My baby was 13 days late also (not due to the medication)

The withdrawals are horrible I felt sick and tired and also had insomnia because my body was used to having the sedative effect. This wore off after a week.

I have a very healthy baby despite being on the Quetiapine, in my opinion i needed to be on it otherwise I would have been ill and my baby would have suffered due to the stress.

Hope that helps.



Its hard out there in that big world, im moving against the wind, but slowly Im pushing through and seeing through the foggy haze - Me

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good! - Stitch

StillCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
DannieGirl
Dannie
 
DannieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: west sussex, uk
I am currently:

i'm right down to 150mg (from 400mg), i am getting to sleep, then waking up after an hours sleep and then take a while to get back to sleep but am waking up late in the day...i am feeling it emotionally though, the last 2 days i have been feeling low, empty and really restless aswell as super sound sensitive.. eh.. looks like a change in meds...hopefully there is something pregnancy safe?



http://fairly-odd-dannie.blogspot.co.uk/

http://fairlyodddannie.wordpress.com







DannieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Cacoethes
90's B*tch
 
Cacoethes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyrule
I am currently:

nothing can be said as being pregnancy safe.

as it is not ethical to test medications on pregnant women, so we will not know how it effects the baby.

they will prescribe something only if the benefits outweigh the risks.
xx



I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!


Who else is fine?!?!?


Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:34 PM.