Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:
Can I get a Second opinion?

Hi,

I have recently (in past 6 months) been diagnosed with 'other schizophrenia with difficulty in emotional intensity'. To be honest, I dont agree with it, and i dont think other people how know me do either. ( i believe they think schizoaffective would be more accurate). I think it is a set up so people think I am crazy and dont listen to the truth that I know.

And i think difficulty with emotional intensity contradicts the blunted affect seen as schizophrenia anyways? Maybe thats why im in the 'other schiz' catogary.

Thing is, 3 psychiatrists seen me separately, and then all together at the same time and diagnosed me. I have asked why, and they give me some info sheets and say my experiences are very similar to people with schizophrenia and what they experience. (such as first rank symptoms).

I think the fact I have seen 3 psychs who all agreed means a second opinion (or a 'fourth opinion') might be useless. Maybe I just dont want to accept it because it is generally long lasting and can be difficult to manage, and I dont want that. And serious. And the stigma associated with it.

Sorry I dont really know what Im asking. Is it worth getting a second opinion? Should I just try and not get hung up about it? I dunno.
xx

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
Shenanigans
Set up an IV of sanity

I am currently:

Hi there,
Have you spoken to anyone about how you feel about your diagnosis and the concerns/worries/thoughts you have about it? I understand info sheets are good to have but it sounds like you need a bit more clarity and your concerns and thoughts on this are always valid. Perhaps right down all your questions, eg:
Why was Shizoaffective Disorder ruled out?
What were the clear links between my symptoms and this disorder?
And raise the opinions of the people who know you.
If little else you can get these questions answered and bring a bit more understanding about what's going on and the direction your care team are going with in regards to your care.
Look after yourself

You see a mouse trap
I see free cheese
And a ****ing challenge

Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
startingagain

Do you think a different diagnosis will make a difference to the treatment that you receive? You could ask to see a psychiatrist again to go through any concerns you have.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
LaurieR
The Crazy Pharmacologist

I am currently:

Hi Ami,

Curiously my diagnosis has recently been changed from paranoid schizophrenia to schizoaffective disorder! Although I still haven't figured out where the affective bit came from....

The thing is, nowadays doctors tend to change diagnoses quite a lot because of the fundamental pitfall in the categorical diagnostic system (black and white, you either have the disorder or you don't) and take on a dimensional approach (I am personally a strong supporter of the dimensional approach although it is still controversial)- that we are on a psychosis spectrum or continuum, and one can 'sway' between one end (affective psychosis) and the other end (schizophrenia), with schizoaffective disorder in the middle. However, there is a lot of overlap between symptoms so it can be very hard to 'locate' where an individual is on the spectrum.

Sorry I am not sure if this helps? By all means, get another independent opinion but I think you will find that they will never be able to come to a clear and certain conclusion...unless we have a biological marker, psychiatry will always be more of an art than a science (Fortunately? Unfortunately? Discuss :P)!

Take care,

Laurie

The freshly qualified Psycho-Pharmacologist who is taking psychiatric medications herself.

I am currently a postgraduate student in Psychiatric Research.

LaurieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Thanks for the replies. Multi-snarf that is a good idea, thanks.

Starting again - I believe my team focus too much on medication and not enough on therapy for myself. I dont know if it is due to my diagnosis or not.

Laurie, yeah I agree. I have been pin pointed at various points on the spectrum (bipolar, psychosis NOS with affective element, previously) so I wont be surprised if my diagnosis does get changed again at some point. The worst thing I want to do, is subconciously develop symptoms because i believe i 'should' have them. I really dont want to do that.

x

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)