RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area
MY life

I want to do something meaningful in my life.

What have I ever done that's meaningful? I ponder over this.. I can't think of a work based achievement to 'crown' my CV.

What can I do that's meaningful, that helps others, that uses what I know and what I've been through for positive gains for myself and others?

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 25-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
tifflehan
 
tifflehan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Leeds, UK
I am currently:

I think being here does just that.
xxx



SERENITY is my RYL mum.
SOLO is my RYL auntie.
SEFKA is my RYL daughter.
DAYS GONE BYE is my RYL sister.
JEFFERSON.MERIWETHER is my RYL son.
OLINESS is my RYL son.


tifflehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Laura2.0
 
Laura2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany

I agree with tifflehan



You survived the abuse.
You're gonna survive the recovery.

- Olivia Benson

Laura, Ginger, Cassi, Luna, Joni, Lena


Laura2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

Thank you both. I'm flattered.

Just, this is voluntary. In my paid work... my most notable achievements are continuing to work even when I have been very unwell with mental illness. Plus being a good team member, and advocating for my needs and supporting others at work. None of 'I did this' and 'I managed that team' or 'I reached this target'.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
pea soup
 
pea soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: at the end of the rainbow
I am currently:

would you like to apply for a promotion at work? or maybe even starting over somewhere else in a higher position...where you be a team leader and manage more things? do you think this would give you better satisfaction? I think there are many jobs you would qualify for and then some :)





pea soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

We're having a restructure at work. I will likely have to be made redundant as only the next grade up is likely to be on offer. There are reasons I can't reach that next grade. So it's a case of starting somewhere else, hopefully in a higher position, but in a different field that is more 1:1 client/customer facing than the stuff that is problematic for me. I'm looking into a bunch of stuff, but until we know what's happening, I'm pretty much stuck in limbo...

Thanks for the compliment. :) I know, pretty much. But I feel so lost. How the heck can I frame my [huge to me, but probably not to a prospective employer, depending] achievements so as to make me viable in the job market? Tenacity? Persistance? Compassion? Inclusiveness?

I've not had an interview since my diagnosis and all. So this is all like starting from the beginning in lots of ways, with all the self knowledge that I have... I want to be sure to be realistic, in terms of my limitations and skills.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
tifflehan
 
tifflehan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Leeds, UK
I am currently:

Any employer would be lucky to have you.



SERENITY is my RYL mum.
SOLO is my RYL auntie.
SEFKA is my RYL daughter.
DAYS GONE BYE is my RYL sister.
JEFFERSON.MERIWETHER is my RYL son.
OLINESS is my RYL son.


tifflehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
whirlpools
 
Join Date: May 2008

I think that the way you have persevered through the most difficult of life situations and continued to develop is far more impressive than any qualifications or more 'recognised' achievements. I see no reason why you can't putline this strength and tenacity on a CV.

But I understand that you're looking for something else. I wonder if it would be worth starting some voluntary work for a small amount of time per week to make these achievements and the wonderfully positive parts of your personality more palpable, CV-wise. Something with vulnerable people; perhaps something creative. I know charities are screaming out for people with your skills.

Is that something you could look into doing during these continuing uncertainties at work, to help you feel as though things are moving forwards and in your control, or do you think that might be too stressful at the moment?

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

Thank you tifflehan. It's still hard to block out this guy at one of my interviews some years back. When interviewing me he put his head in his hands and sighed. I still don't know what I'd done wrong... I know lots has shifted since then, but that kind of thing stays with someone... well, with me, anyway.

Thanks Laura. I appreciate that. I'm working on my CV today, hopefully, so I'll see how I can word things.

To be honest, I don't have much free time at all right now to volunteer anywhere. Am still waiting for the outcome of the head bods at work's agreement over which proposals to adopt. Once that happens I'll have more of a timeline. There's too much uncertainty right now to really make any concrete plans.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
pea soup
 
pea soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: at the end of the rainbow
I am currently:

All the terms you mentioned to help with an interview definitely describe you but I thought of another!!

DETAIL ORIENTED!!! almost to a fault :) I like that about you just be careful not to OVER think :)

Very proud of you Katie!!
loves.
xxxxx





pea soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

Thank you. :)
Yep, 'attention to detail' is in there. I came up with a bunch of very swanky sounding phrases yesterday.. although I haven't looked at them since writing them!

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
tiptoes
Forum Mod
 
tiptoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
I am currently:

The prospects website (www.prospects.ac.uk) has a really useful section where you answer question based on how important various work aspects are to the work you want to do and gives you a list of different job roles which maybe suitable. Although the website as a whole is aimed at graduates this section could be useful for most people searching for jobs/careers.



In my dreams I slew the dragon


tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

Yep, seen that. :) I will use it.

I AM a graduate still, really, even as I graduated in '92 - I'm still a graduate, with a degree and all!

I'm having a hard time with feeling inferior right now. Blah.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
tiptoes
Forum Mod
 
tiptoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
I am currently:

Sorry, I just meant that a lot of the website is targeted at new graduates as in those looking for internships/graduate schemes. I didn't mean any offense, from previous posts of yours I was aware of your educational background - part of the reason I thought it might be helpful.

Sorry you are having a hard time with being able to feel your true worth. I understand because I battle with that too. Remember that you are worth just as much if not more than any person you walk past in the street. You are an amazingly strong and talented individual. You battled through so much when on your own and without help, you got your degree during that time massive bonus points for that!

Best wishes



In my dreams I slew the dragon


tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Stellata
 
Stellata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area

Thank you so much. I remember your reply to one of my old threads now, you were so empathic about my situation, it meant so much. I'd forgotten until I saw your reply above.

It still boggles my mind at times that I got all the academic qualifications that I did.

Brain is severely scattered right now. Will come back to this.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:59 PM.