|
|
 |
|
18-03-2011, 10:40 PM
|
#1
|
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United States
I am currently: 
|
OCD and self-harm *possibly triggering. Contains SI*
Hey everyone.
For a while, I've been wondering if there could be a correlation between cutting and OCD. My therapist thinks that there might be.
Anyway, the urges have been getting awful in the last few days. I've also been having images too. What's worse, I feel anxious if I don't cut. In a way, I feel like I need to cut in order to get relief from the urges/images. It seems like my OCD is saying "just one will make the thoughts go away." I know that my OCD is playing tricks, but it's still hard. I've managed to hold off though. Going out and getting some exercise has helped somewhat.
I posted the same question on an OCD website I am a member of. The only person who did reply was condescending and just made me feel bad. He/she said "Don't cut yourself anymore." I know the reply may not have been meant to be condescending, but that's how it felt, because SI can be hard to overcome. People who've never self-harmed will never understand that.
Anyway, the urges/images are driving me up the wall. Plus, I thought I'd post on here because people on here are more understanding.
|
|
|
|
|
|
18-03-2011, 10:56 PM
|
#2
|
|
Wide awake.
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States
I am currently: 
|
Yes there is or could be a correlation. I have OCD and I SI as well. Do you take or have medication to control or suppress the ocd? Do not listen to the thoughts to cut, you honestly do not want to though. You may also have anxiety, have you been diagnosed? Especially with me the OCD and the SH can correspondingly create anxiety issues. It is GREAT you are trying to hold off!!! I am very happy for you.
With the exercise you could.. draw, paint, run, go for a stroll, yell, punch a pillow, etc... if you ever need a few ideas. You can private message me or email me ANYTIME as well. I really understand you and the ocd and everything.
What kind of images are you having? If it deals with death, do not mess with that. You need to tell somebody right away. Those thoughts are harder and almost impossible to just brush off. if this is the case, please somebody right away, okay?
All else I have... keep busy or distracted till the temptations and urges have passed.
|
|
|
|
|
|
18-03-2011, 11:24 PM
|
#3
|
|
a mirror that reflects it
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Upstate New York
I am currently: 
|
i have ocd as well. and self harm.
if cutting is turning into a sort of compulsion, its going to behave like other compulsions. compulsions releive the uncomfortable feeling and anxiety for a short time, but it inevitably comes back and is often more compelling than before, as you probably know. and then you feel the need to perform the behavior again in response. along with hurting yourself, giving in is going to strengthen the urge in the future. the way to beat ocd is to resist giving in to the compusion and deal with the anxiety and let it decrease on its own. if you consistantly do that, eventually the anxiety will decrease in severity and frequency.
doing this isn't easy. i know that. i've had to do a ton of it myself (but have gotten much better) but it is worth it with most obsessions/compulsions. and its especially worth it to resist hurting yourself
|
this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.
The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.
PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie
|
|
|
|
19-03-2011, 12:29 AM
|
#4
|
|
I'm not worth the air I breathe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US
I am currently: 
|
It really does sound like a possibility. I know that sometimes I feel compelled to do some damage to myself at times though I don't always know why. I am not diagnosed with OCD, but have tendencies to be obsessive and compulsive about some things.
*hugs* I hope you're doing alright
|
"God take me, because I hate me" -Underoath
We are male and female. We are artists, athletes, and students. We have depression, PTSD, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, or maybe no diagnosis at all. Some of us were abused, some not. We come from all walks of life and can be any age. We are every race or religion that you can think of. Our common link is this: We are in pain. We self-injure. And we are not freaks.
|
|
|
|
|
Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
|
|
|
Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:23 AM.
|
|