RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Hlessirah
 
Hlessirah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
I am currently:
Roommate Questions

Hi guys, hope you're having a fabulous day.

I wanted to ask some advice from people who have been/are currently going through university life.
I'm facing my last semester here at college, and I'm facing quite a bit more stress than usual, what with my impending senior recital AND senior seminar for my double major, as well as other depression-related issues.

I have been having several s-i episodes, one in particular which recently worried me quite a bit. The only person I talk to about it is my long-distance boyfriend and my counselor, who I haven't seen in a few weeks.
I currently live with a roommate, which is new for me, someone who is a pretty good friend. She does not know about my problems with self-injury, or at least, I haven't told her. Part of me thinks that if I let her know, I could at least know that if something went wrong, someone would have my back, and I would feel safer. But then again, I could be facing major awkwardness and honestly, I'm terrified of telling people.

Have any of you been in this sort of situation? Would it be wise to tell a roommate, or just awkward? I could use a little advice.

Hlessirah is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 28-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
castaway
 
castaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I am currently:

I'm not actully a uni student, but I think I can sort of understand what your saying...
I think it would be a really good idea to tell her. Like you said, the two of you are friends, so it hopfully won't feel too awkard to talk to her about it, also when you open up about yourself, other people open up to you as well, so ultimatly you'll have a closer friendship. Try and speak as openly as you can, if you don't seam awkward about it, she's less likly to feel akward herself. Another thing, if you were to need medical help it would be far better to tell her carmly sometime, then in the middle of an emergancy. I know telling people can be really sceary, but if their the right people to tell, it's so worth it.

castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
beautifulpain
 
beautifulpain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

I've been in that situation, I lived with 8 people, and I found that with just one or two of them knowing about my situation helped alot. e.g. if I was feeling down they were more perceptive of that and would try and cheer me up as they knew I was struggling. So I think it would be a good idea to tell her, she probably has noticed something is up anyway, its suprising how much people notice things especially as she is living with you. Hopefully it would mean more support for you x

beautifulpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
musicmad123
my invisible cat thinks you're weird...
 
musicmad123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Torbay,UK
I am currently:

I was a uni student I started off keeping SI, depression etc quiet, but i eventaully told them more and more stuff, it did make things a lot easier being able to relax at hoem and not have to worry if they were going to find out. However it ended badly for me in the end this girl i thought w as a good friend kind of turned (i think my illness put her under a lot of pressure) and she's not a friend anymroe.
But i still think it's a good idea



Let the Force be with you
I'm not short, I'm space efficient



musicmad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:46 AM.