|
|
 |
|
23-02-2011, 06:22 PM
|
#1
|
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently: 
|
Does this mean I'm safe?
I never thought I was overly concerned about this but the relief I feel now makes me think that I secretly was.
My mum & brother have bipolar, my grandma had it and my great grandma was just labelled common-or-garden mad and bad but most likely had it.
My aunt has it, my uncle again was just labled bad but showed very strong symptoms.
I have had diagnoses of depression and EDNOS/Bulimia at different times. I have self harmed on and off for (oh my god) 12 years now. People have wondered aloud about personality disorders and anxiety issues although I have never recieved formal diagnoses. Friends (some of whom are MH professionals although never anything to do with my care) have bandied about the word manic although this was often used incorrectly.
I feel as if part of my mind must have been keeping a little watchful eye out for signs though cos now I've turned 25 I just feel as if I'd know by now, I must be safe.
dunno why I'm posting this - it's just some musings I cant really express elsewhere.
|
|
|
|
|
|
23-02-2011, 06:46 PM
|
#2
|
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Leeds, UK
I am currently: 
|
Hi. I'm the first person in my family to be diagnose bipolar. (yay!) I'm 31 and only got the label lately. Not sure if we are ever safe.
xxx
|
SERENITY is my RYL mum.
SOLO is my RYL auntie.
SEFKA is my RYL daughter.
DAYS GONE BYE is my RYL sister.
JEFFERSON.MERIWETHER is my RYL son.
OLINESS is my RYL son.
|
|
|
|
23-02-2011, 06:53 PM
|
#3
|
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area
|
Depression and anxiety run through my whole family, but I am the only person that I know of who's been formally diagnosed.
Remember that emotional challenges are on a continuum, and life events, particularly loss, can precipitate things over the edge even if someone is on a fairly even keel. So it's always good to keep aware of what's going on with your mind and feelings, so if things start to not feel right, you can get help asap.
|
|
|
|
|
|
23-02-2011, 07:27 PM
|
#4
|
|
I'm a girl
Join Date: Mar 2004
I am currently: 
|
Well although there is a strong genetic component to bipolar disorder, this by no means makes it certain that you will have it. I have no family history of it and have been diagnosed bipolar 1. However, as said above, mental illness often requires a 'trigger' in combination with an underlying susceptibility, so it's possible the underlying susceptibility is there. It's also very possible that it isn't! It's great that you are aware of this as it's important you do look out for yourself. I wouldn't say you are either 'safe' or 'not safe'; more that you don't currently have any symptoms. Which is a good thing, and I really hope it stays that way.
Take care.
|
There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Terry Pratchett
|
|
|
|
24-02-2011, 06:31 PM
|
#5
|
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently: 
|
Hey, thanks for all the replies - they make a lot of sense and I guess confirmed the things I deep down knew. And people make good points about keeping aware. Ta x
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
|
|
|
Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:32 PM.
|
|