RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
blurose~
relapsed
 
blurose~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
I am currently:
I might be ready to tell someone

So, this morning, I think i've decided.. I want to tell my friend, who may already have suspicions about it, and my mom, about my SI. Last year, I told my friend, but her mom checked her phone, and told my mom. I went to like 2 therapy sessions, but I really didn't like the therapist, and it just felt awkward. I told my mom i felt better, when in all reality, i didn't. I stopped for about 6 or 7 months after that, but a month ago i just started again. How do i tell my mom ( she suffers from depression) without breaking her heart? I'm a very non-confrontational person by the way, so something that may or may not be face to face would be best..

blurose~ is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 12-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it
 
PassedExpectations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Upstate New York
I am currently:

if you don't feel comfortable talking face to face, or that would be easier for you or your mom, you can write her a letter. this is a pretty big thing to tell her so i wouldn't have it just be a two sentence thing. you can explain that you didn't feel comfortable with the therapist from before and that you said you were feeling better because you thought it would make things better. also, you should put in that you were free for so long, cause thats a really great achievement. then say that recently you've been struggling more, and started harming again, and that you wanted to let her know so that she can be there for you. and you can emphasize that its not her fault, and that telling her shows alot of trust......

also you could give her some resources to learn more about SI




this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.



PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie


PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
blurose~
relapsed
 
blurose~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
I am currently:

Ok, thank you, i'll try that. Now i just need to wait for my dad to leave, he's not the emotional supportive kind of guy. Do you know any websites i could tell her to go to?

blurose~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
88shelz
be positive
 
88shelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I am currently:

if you google
understanding self harm
and have a read til you find the information you think would be the best for your mum to read and print it out, that may help.

its a brave step you are taking and i wish you luck. it always helps and releases tension when you finally be honest about whats going on





88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it
 
PassedExpectations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Upstate New York
I am currently:

under the advice tab there is information for families regarding self harm.... go to the top bar, advice, then to the self harm tab, and the very bottom choice after that should be information for family and friends




this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.



PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie


PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
zivalover16
 
zivalover16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boiceville NY
I am currently:

There is a book you could tell her to look at getting.It really helped my mom out. http://www.amazon.com/When-Your-Chil.../dp/1572244372. I'm not sure where your at so I'll also include the amazon.co.uk link to the book.....http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Your-Ch...7533910&sr=8-1 good luck.



Big Sister:Squiggles
Little Sister: PaintItBlack
Cousins: dereksarah, Hollz

zivalover16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
blurose~
relapsed
 
blurose~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
I am currently:

Thanks all! I sent her an email saying what's happening, and how I'm sorry for giving her extra stress, and why I started again. She's not home yet, so she hasn't seen it. I also said she should email be back a response. is that okay? I feel like if I tried to talk to her in person, I would start crying, and she wouldn't be able to understand me.. :/

blurose~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
who_me?
who_me?
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: An oven. AKA Florida
I am currently:

I congratulate you on telling :) I did that like 2 days ago and I know how hard it is. I couldn't even FACE my mom about this so I told the guidance counselor at school who I knew would have to tell my mom. It was also my guidance counselor who explained self harm to my mom over the phone as well. And I also know about feeling bad for the stress your giving her. I feel terrible about doing this to my mom as well. Once again I congratulate you and I hope everything works out this time :)

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
JaffaCake.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.

Congratulations for telling her!

How is it going? I noticed it was a couple of days ago now.

Hope you're okay?
Em x

JaffaCake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
blurose~
relapsed
 
blurose~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
I am currently:

So, i didn't actually email her, I freaked at the last minute. So I wrote it in a note, and put it on her pillow before she went to bed. The next morning, she was pretty calm, and asked me if i should get a therapist, so now we're looking for one. things went pretty well. Also, this is kind of a random question, but does anyone here know like how to see/decide if you should go to a mental ward/ hospital/ recovery center?

blurose~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Horizon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
I am currently:

It's a pretty big leap from getting help to going to a hospital. You need to have outpatient therapy before you consider something as drastic as that. Hospitals are a last resort. You go when you are in immediate danger of serious harm to yourself or others. Trust me, it's better to be outpatient.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #12
blurose~
relapsed
 
blurose~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
I am currently:

I wasn't planning to do that at any time in the foreseeable future, just being a curious little teen :L

blurose~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #13
R-Jay
The Celestial Tablecloth :)
 
R-Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
I am currently:

Congratulations on telling her :) that was really brave, and it sounds like you are working through it well together. Good luck!!



I don't know how I got this way
I know it's not alright.
So I'm breaking the habit,
I'm breaking the habit
Tonight
I got charm'd at Hogwarts


R-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:36 PM.