RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Disturbia
It's like the darkness is the light
 
Disturbia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I am currently:
hitting myself when anxous

I have anxiety and i have noticed that when i get really anxious i start hitting myself on the head ... If my husband is with me he takes my hand and stops me from doing this ... but of late it has been getting worse
The anxiety is getting worse and am having it at night as well in bed
Am on 50 mg of Chlopromazine at night but i thinking i need something else for my anxiety apart from the Chlopromazine.

I dont know why i hit myself when i am anxious ... maybe am just weird





It's a thief in the night to come and grab you
It can creep up inside you and consume you
A disease of the mind it can control you
It's too close for comfort


Disturbia is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 25-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
She'sLostControl
 
She'sLostControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
I am currently:

I do this too. Punch my head, pull my hair and scratch myself wherever. So don't worry, you're not the only one :)



Do not listen to a word i say, just listen to what i can keep silent.
The only way to gain approval, is by exploiting the very thing that cheapens me.


She'sLostControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Louise
A Ray of Hope
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently:

Your not weird, do you know what brings on the anxious is there a certain thing or lots of this? Could you try to keep your hands busy like writing down what is making you feel anxious. Maybe you could speak to your doctor to get something that might help you better.





“Never lose faith in yourself,
and never lose hope;
remember, even when this world throws its worst and then turns its back,
there is still always hope.”


Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Disturbia
It's like the darkness is the light
 
Disturbia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I am currently:

It's mainly when am out in public and it's busy on buses if it full of people ...i cant seem to cope with people being around me .
At night i dont have any idea why am anxious but it's been happening more and more often
I talked to my dr before about it she just told me to keep taking the
Chlopromazine and that was it
Am going to talk to my psych about it to see if she can put me on something else





It's a thief in the night to come and grab you
It can creep up inside you and consume you
A disease of the mind it can control you
It's too close for comfort


Disturbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
She'sLostControl
 
She'sLostControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
I am currently:

Aye, definitley ask someone. Good luck and all the best :)



Do not listen to a word i say, just listen to what i can keep silent.
The only way to gain approval, is by exploiting the very thing that cheapens me.


She'sLostControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it
 
PassedExpectations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Upstate New York
I am currently:

silly putty, moldable art erasers, worry beads (even just one of those plastic kid necklaces), stress balls.... theres lots of low tech things to keep your hands busy and take the anxiety out on, and they aren't really all that noticeable, just find one that you like.....

also, have you ever learned/tried any muscle relaxation or breathing techniques to help calm the anxiety so that you don't feel the urge to hurt yourself? trying those things can be really helpful




this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.



PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie


PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
Serendipity.
fabulous.
 
Serendipity.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010

You're not alone in this, I think it's pretty common. When I get really anxious I will find myself hitting, scratching, whatever. PastExpiration had some really good suggestions. Having something to hold definitely helps. I have a shiny heart shaped stone thing, and no-one really notices / cares if I'm fiddling with it.

Also if you have an MP3 player or something then listening to music will help or you could put some guided relaxation / meditation things on it so you can do that on the bus or wherever you are. It sounds silly but I find that repeating stuff to myself helps.. generally it is just my personal details (name, age, address, phone number, etc). I know that sounds really stupid but it helps, it gives me something to focus on and keeps me 'grounded'.

If you have a quick look online there are loads of ideas to help with anxiety, also there will be self help books about it in your local library. There are also online self-help courses that work alone CBT lines that are aimed at anxiety although I know it can be hard to find the motivation to do them.

Definitely talk to your psych but also don't rule out self-help things that you can do yourself and which might very well be more helpful in the long run.

Take care :)



"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."


Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
Disturbia
It's like the darkness is the light
 
Disturbia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I am currently:

Thanks , i do have a stress ball that i take out with me but sometimes i forget it when am out .... but i will try and remember to take it out with me .
Am really anxious right now ...listening to some music and i have my stress ball with me ....i know i should sleep but i cant .





It's a thief in the night to come and grab you
It can creep up inside you and consume you
A disease of the mind it can control you
It's too close for comfort


Disturbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it
 
PassedExpectations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Upstate New York
I am currently:

i find it helps to have different stress objects around. so like i keep one in my room, one in my locker, one in my purse, one in the kitchen.... so that where ever i am there is usually something nearby




this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.



PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie


PassedExpectations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #10
BGonya1001
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States of America

I hit myself two...


If you to talk PM me

BGonya1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Celticroots
 
Celticroots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: United States
I am currently:

I hit myself, scratch, bang my head, etc when I am upset also. You're not alone.

Celticroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34 AM.