|
|
 |
|
02-01-2011, 03:15 PM
|
#1
|
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area
|
overwhelmed
My flatmate's just told me that she's going to have a new kitchen - new floor, new units. She's excited.
I'm not.
It'll mean upheaval. It'll mean no cooked food and maybe even no access to the fridge or freezer for, what, a week?
And it's making me feel so powerless and upset I'm crying.
The next few months at work are the crunch time, the most stressful. And now this, as well. No access to washing machine either. I just hope I'll be able to use water for showers and to go to the toilet.
I know it makes me sound weak and pathetic that this is upsetting me.
And I know it sounds selfish, too.
I just. Feel completely overwhelmed and helpless and alone.
I have no one I can go stay with during the kitchen refit.
And I'm scared.
This year. I don't feel I can handle it already. Please someone make all this go away, please.
|
|
|
|
|
|
02-01-2011, 04:13 PM
|
#2
|
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area
|
I'm aware that there's an element of 'victim consciousness' in me with this. ["But sod it, I'm stressed as all hell."]
I want to be able to break through that. The intent, at least, is there, even if I don't feel I have the emotional strength to tackle it.
|
|
|
|
|
|
02-01-2011, 04:17 PM
|
#3
|
|
No longer using this as main account. Only meets.
|
Can't you buy a mini fridge for your room? That way you can still have a few bits of food.
While workmen are there if you can't go to work can't you put headphones in? Or if you have a tv in your room put headphones in there.
Think it'll only be a week only possibly 9-5pm then it'll be done and you'll have a lovely new kitchen possibly with better heating that what you've said in past posts...
Yes it'll mean chaos but only for a week maybe two. Are you not working at the moment?
|

I am now not going to use this account as my main one from now on.
If you want my new account PM me. xxx
|
|
|
|
02-01-2011, 06:46 PM
|
#4
|
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently: 
|
Did you know she was planning this? I mean, it seems like (and I could be way wrong here) a lot of the problem is from having this sudden upheaval just sprung on you from nowhere.
What exactly are you scared of?
Hopefully it’ll be worth it in the end, it’s just really unfortunate it coincides with a bad time at work. Do you have anyone nearby whose washing machine you can hijack for an afternoon?
As far as food goes, is a week of takeaway possible? Mini-fridges rock if you can afford them, if not, as manky as it sounds, I’ve managed to keep food out on the balcony for a couple of days in winter to keep it chilled before.
Good luck with the upheaval.
S
xx
|
Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!
|
|
|
|
02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
|
#5
|
|
Petulant
Join Date: Jun 2007
I am currently: 
|
Hi Katie :)
Is it the change to your routine that is upsetting you? Or are there other concerns you have? I understand it will be stressful when the new kitchen is being fitted but it will not last that long, and most of it will be during working hours, when hopefully you will not be there. I don't see why you would have no access to water so I don't think you need to worry about that.
I think RainbowsandButterflies has made some good suggestions.
When is the kitchen being fitted?
|
*Proud Plumeria Sister*
|
|
|
|
02-01-2011, 08:07 PM
|
#6
|
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London area
|
Thanks everyone.
I'd have to investigate mini fridge.
I didn't know, no. She's been talking about new flooring in there and the bathroom for ages, but not a whole refit in the kitchen. It's not strictly neccessary, but she thinks it is.
It is the suddeness, straight after they get back from being away for a week, and I'm feeling crap due to stress and am glad to have them back, and then it's like wham in the face. She's going away for several weeks at the end of the month. What's the thinking she'll have it done then when it doesn't effect her? I don't know when. She's just in the measuring phase alongside the Ikea catalogue at the moment.
I'm stream of consciousness typing here, not censoring, or thinking too much.
I'm really needing to watch my budget, which is another factor, with food buying.
Change in routine upsetting, yes. Limiting of my freedoms. Intrusiveness. Powerlessness. Stirs up feelings of "Is nowhere safe?"
Yes, I feel resentful, and that's a nasty feeling. But it's how I feel.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
|
|
|
Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:46 PM.
|
|