RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
fuzzy_sweets
 
fuzzy_sweets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I am currently:
'Giveing myself away'.

Hello this thread is a bit long winded so will cut it short as I can. Basically I am getting married in 6 months time (YAY). Although my family are not being very supportive (BOO).

My grandad was supposed to give me away as I dont know who my dad is but he (my grandad) has really not bother with me in the past yr tbh. I offered for him to meet my future husband but he politely said 'we will just see you at the wedding'. I feel hurt and like they are not making much effort although i do appreciate that he is a busy guy. I think it would just feel awquard for him to meet my fiance on the DAY of my wedding and having not seen him for over a year too.

So what I am asking is, do you think it would be bad if i 'gave myself away' and walked down the aisle myself??? I really cannot think of anyone else who i'd like to give me away :(





fuzzy_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Lou Lou
hell on high heels
 
Lou Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Herts
I am currently:

I don't suppose there is any rule saying you HAVE to have someone give you away. If you are comfortable doing that, then do it. It's your wedding day.

If not, is there a close friend that could give you away. Your mum or sibling perhaps?



When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time



Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
fuzzy_sweets
 
fuzzy_sweets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I am currently:

I dont particularly 'want' to give myself away or feel comfortbale doing it, but theres no-one else who i feel is appropriate to give me away. Seen as my sister is my maid of honour and my mum and i don't really get along the best of times.





fuzzy_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Lou Lou
hell on high heels
 
Lou Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Herts
I am currently:

ah I see, I can understand that you would want someone to give you away, obviously you know your family dynamics better than I do lol, but basically you could have whoever you want to give you away. Or no one at all if that's the way it is. it is not "bad" to give yourself away at all :)



When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time



Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Sefka
 
Sefka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
I am currently:

I'd see giving yourself away as a very independent thing, in a very positive way. But I can see why you'd feel uncomfortable with it. Do you have a close friend who would do it?




Каждому, каждому в лучшее верится,
Катится, катится голубой вагон!




Sefka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Popple
 
Popple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007

No it is fine to give yourself away, you don't need anyone to give you away, you are your own person. I am probably 'giving myself away' too and I get that it feels a bit odd.. it has caused me no end of problems! But I am sure loads of people do it and even if they don't embrace your independence.

If you really want someone to walk you down the aisle even if it just so you don't have to walk on your own have you got any close friends (they don't have to be male!) who you could ask or I am not sure if you kids but if you do thats always an option.
Depending how my little brother is next year I may be asking him to walk me down the aisle. You don't have to do anything for the sake of tradition, it is yours and your partners day
Katy
x

Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
fuzzy_sweets
 
fuzzy_sweets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I am currently:

Aw cool. Well I really don't think i know anyone who i would actually 'want' to give me away, as 1/2 my family don't even approve of the wedding. And i would rather nobody give me away then people paint false smiles on their faces and have all airs and graces. My fiances family ony the other hand are more supportive.
Don't have any children either. Think i might just give myself away as a symbolic status that i am married to my God (i'm a Christian) and now I will be joined with my husband. As he (God) has been the closest thing i have had to a father. Cheesy i kno! lol
Aw thanks so much guys i realise now that i was more bothered about what people would THINK of me giving myself away rather than what I actually want.





fuzzy_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Popple
 
Popple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007

I don't think thats cheesy I think if it fits with your beliefs then that is a loverly ideas :) I hate how there are so many silly traditions and beliefs about weddings that you are expected to follow, I think weddings should be about the couple getting married and what they want and if they want to follow every tradition then thats their choice but if they don't want any of that same goes :)
If anyone winges at the idea of you giving yourself away tell them if they don't like it then don't come. It has worked wonders on my family lol

Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
Laura2.0
 
Laura2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany

I like the idea of giving yourself away, because it shows independance.



You survived the abuse.
You're gonna survive the recovery.

- Olivia Benson

Laura, Ginger, Cassi, Luna, Joni, Lena


Laura2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

My brother and sister-in-law walked down the aisle together :)



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Popple
 
Popple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007

^ Awh I think that is really cute.

Popple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.
 
Casper_Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over there and to the left
I am currently:

It was really nice :)



"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."


- Dr. Seuss


Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:04 AM.