RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Harley
Webmaster
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Scotland
I am currently:
BBC Documentary on Young people and Self Harm - interested in being involved?

Hi Everyone,

I have been speaking to Emma Parsons, a director in News and Current Affairs at the BBC, and have been asked to pass this on to you guys, in the hope that some of you might be interested in helping out, either by giving input into what you feel the documentary should contain / what direction it should take - or (most importantly) finding those who might want to get involved on a deeper level.

She is lovely, and has convinced me that this is something very worthwhile (I very rarely pass these requests on).

So I will leave you with a peice she wrote for us, and her contact details are at the bottom. She is more than happy to answer any questions you might have - so if you want your voice heard, and are under 25, get in touch with her!


Here it is :)



Dear RYL member,

My name is Emma Parsons and I am a director in News and Current Affairs at the BBC. I am working on a project about young people who self injure. The programme is a one hour observational documentary which will be shown as part of a season on BBC 3 in December.

My aim is to explore this sensitive subject from the prospective of the young people themselves. For example, there will be no ‘experts’ talking about self harm. I also hope that this documentary will help to dispel myths surrounding this subject and help bring a greater understanding to why people self harm.

I am writing in this letter as I would like to speak to young people who have first hand experience of self harm as I am keen to find out as much as I can about this issue. Ultimately I’m trying to find people who would be happy and comfortable to appear in the documentary. However, Anyone who chooses to contact me will be under no obligation to take part.

Being in the documentary would involve having me follow you around with a camera (I film the documentary myself on a small digital camera) for a few weeks to find out about your life. What is filmed is a negation between myself and the person in the film. Also, I would like to offer who ever I film with a small camera to film their lives themselves.

I would like to make it clear that I am not interested in seeing any self injury on film. This programme is about why someone self harms, not the self harm its self.

I am happy to meet in person to discuss the project and show you similar recent documentaries made by the Current Affairs for BBC 3.

I do hope that you can help me with this project. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

With best wishes,

Emma Parsons

Producer/ Director
News and Current Affairs
T: 0208 752 5672
E: emma.parsons2@bbc.co.uk




I will be around throughout the project to come to for advice and support, and Emma is very sensitive to the subject and to you guys - so you won't have to go through anything alone :)

So feel free to contact me any time too.



Thanks for reading!



Harley

Harley is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
MammaMia
 
MammaMia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007

I think this is going to be SO good ^_^



Have left RYL.

MammaMia is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
-Chelsey-
[[Rabbit]]
 
-Chelsey-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Suffolk
I am currently:

I've asked her numerous questions,
The idea is very.. Interesting.
&& I'm quite interested. =]




"...On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are how fragile we are..."


-Chelsey- is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
MammaMia
 
MammaMia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007

I sent her an email too =P



Have left RYL.

MammaMia is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
ickle-duckling
twisted logic
 
ickle-duckling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bristol, England
I am currently:

I get the impression she's interested in following people who currently self-harm, as opposed to those who are (supposedly) recovered?




change
everything you are
and everything you were


ickle-duckling is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
MammaMia
 
MammaMia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007

I didn't think about that? *shocked face*



Have left RYL.

MammaMia is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
lydia.
 
lydia.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007

Damn I don't have BBC3

lydia. is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
MammaMia
 
MammaMia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007

I don't have it my room, but I think they repeat the programs on bbc1/bbc2 sometimes? But I'm hoping to wath it on teleport reply mwahaha, I don't fancy watching it with my parents =|



Have left RYL.

MammaMia is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #9
.ghost.
 
.ghost.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I am currently:

I'm planning to email her later, I think it sounds like a good idea =]



Help, I'm alive
My heart keeps beating
Like a hammer


.ghost. is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
ickle-duckling
twisted logic
 
ickle-duckling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bristol, England
I am currently:

I've just emailed her saying I'm interested if she wants a recovered self-harmer :)




change
everything you are
and everything you were


ickle-duckling is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
The Hierophant
 
Join Date: Jun 2006

I emailed her saying nothing about my self harm.
HAHAHAHA

The Hierophant is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
toothpaste
 
toothpaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeryn View Post
I emailed her saying nothing about my self harm.
HAHAHAHA

LOL

toothpaste is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
EyelinerAndCigarettes
 
EyelinerAndCigarettes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I am currently:

eee
im emailing her, i'd love to be in it :D







EyelinerAndCigarettes is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #14
~KemicalRain~
Mundus vult decipi
 
~KemicalRain~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Newcastle-upon-tyne, england
I am currently:

same here helen i decided to go for it cos well i am always big on raising awareness about things like this



I GeT Lei'd In Vets
~An Angel Or A Charlatan?~

"i'd rather hate you for everything you are, than ever love you for something you are not, i'd rather you hate me for everything i am than have you love me love me for something i can't BE!"
Five Finger Death Punch - Never Enough

My valkyrie will carry me off to valhalla soon :)


~KemicalRain~ is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
Misanthropic Girl
 

Shes has already been in touch with me via the Young Persons Advisory Centre in Liverpool.
I have an appointment to meet with her on Wednesday. Shall be fun.

 
Old 27-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #16
.ghost.
 
.ghost.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I am currently:

I've emailed her asking about it. I'd love to be in it but my parents would probably freak out, so I'm going to talk to my psych about it (my parents listen to my psych).

Laura, you'll have to let is know what she's like =]



Help, I'm alive
My heart keeps beating
Like a hammer


.ghost. is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #17
Misanthropic Girl
 

My parents have forbid me from going on television to talk about it. But i can still help out (what they dont know wont hurt them). :P
I'll let you guys know what shes like :)

 
Old 27-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #18
.lost.the.tin.can.
 
.lost.the.tin.can.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nottingham, UK
I am currently:

I emailed her but I'm not too sure about being in the documentary myself. I think it's a graet idea though. I asked a couple of questions and told her a bit of my backstory. I think it was rather long :/ Will be interesting if she replies, if not, meh, I'll watch the documentary when it is on. To those of you brave enough to be involved, good luck! I'm sure it will be a great experience for you and hopefully the show will be as good as we all seem to think it will be.




.Summer Solstice.June 2007.




.lost.the.tin.can. is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #19
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod
 
[Purple_Rain]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Middle Earth
I am currently:

i have emailed her sayign i want to help too, i think ti would be great, i was part of a group of people who helped with an american (even though i live in britain) documentary called 'cut: teens and self injury' or soemthign like that (was a while ago) which has already raised awareness there.





"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'


[Purple_Rain] is offline  
Old 27-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #20
Field Of Paper Flowers
Random Hero
 
Field Of Paper Flowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK

I was wondering if she'd feature people in the film who are recovering from self harm.

I'm in two minds about emailing her. When I read she'd follow us around for two weeks, where exactly does she mean? At our homes? At college, at school etc where?





Field Of Paper Flowers is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:34 PM.