RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
TheDreamingTree
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brisbane, AU
I am currently:
Possible bipolar diagnosis

So, basically, over the last week I have had 3 separate suggestions from people that maybe I should get checked out for bipolar. My aunt, who's a clinical psychologist, suggested it yesterday and it set me off to find out if I am or not. I did a bipolar self-test through The Black Dog Institute website (a well-regarded Aussie mental health org.) and came out with a score of 35: 22 being the suggested score to think about talking to a professional.
I spoke about it with my mum this morning, and she had apparently read up on it when my mental health issues began (I was around 14; so about 9 years ago now) and thought that I might have been. However, our public mental health service REFUSED to test me for it, and just diagnosed me with BPD.
Now, over the last couple of months, I have become more aware of the differences between my moods, and having researched the ever-loving crap out of bipolar over the last 24hrs, I'm pretty sure I am - and have been for quite some time. I'm going to make an appointment to see my GP this week, as soon as I get paid, and sort this out once and for all. If it turns out that I am bipolar, it would explain a hell of a lot - for example, I think I would now say that my recent tattoo was a result of a manic episode...
I guess I'm scared, and confused, and kind of angry that this could have been undiagnosed for years - even with my parents requesting that I be tested for more than just BPD. Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you handle it; and what do you wish you'd done differently.

I'm really glad that I married the person I did, now - his stepmum has bipolar disorder I; so he knows how to support me, and look after his own emotions at the same time.
Arghhhh, now the pleasure of waiting a week for a formal diagnosis

TheDreamingTree is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 08-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Margo
 
Margo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I am currently:

Im not Bi-polar so i cant talk about my experience of it but i do know why professionals are reluctant to test for it at an early age. It is not because they are negligent but because you still have a developing brain and some believe it dangerous to diagnose at an early level and medicate as you simply could grow out of it almost. Also teens are terrible at telling it as it is and with all the hormonal stuff going on they have to be sure that this is not affecting things.

Bi-polar is one of those labels that scares people. I have friends who have been diagnosed. It has explained years of similar behaviour. The positive thing is it means you can be medicated correctly and learn how to recognise episodes faster and learn to cope with them better. Of course you do not have to take a medication route. there is strontg evidence that healthy lifestyle and the correct nutrition can help this greatly.

You do, however need some talking therapy to deal with this.

See this as a new beginning. You can perhaps see sense to all this now. Its gonna be hard, but im sure things will change for the best for you.

Good luck

Matthew



~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P



Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
crazykat
Fight for another day
 
crazykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Australia

Matthew gives good advice. I hope it goes well at the doctors and use it as a motivation to working towards getting better.



"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."


crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
zivalover16
 
zivalover16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boiceville NY
I am currently:

Hey, I went inpatient and they diagnosed me at bipolar.. I came out and went to a partial program and they are changing my diagnosis....My opinion? I think I'm bipolar..... But my mom talked to social worker and brought up a good point..... It's just a diagnosis of your symptoms. IT DOES NOT change who you are. You are still you, just with a possible diagnosis. I hope you understand what I mean when I say this..... good luck



Big Sister:Squiggles
Little Sister: PaintItBlack
Cousins: dereksarah, Hollz

zivalover16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Imperfect.Star
 
Imperfect.Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London

I think it's very understandable that you're upset however one difficulty with diagnosing mental health problems is that there is no 'test'. I know there are questionnaires and scores for some conditions but they have to be taken in context with clinical judgement. You may well be right about the diagnosis however professionals see only snapshots of you so it may have taken the time lapse for patterns to emerge which will enable a diagnosis to be made.

zivalover makes a really good point too. Whilst a change in diagnosis will affect your treatment from now on it doesn't change anything about who you are or what your smptoms are.



Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"


Imperfect.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
TheDreamingTree
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brisbane, AU
I am currently:

Hey guys - thanks for all the advice... it's been a pretty rough week, so I've been staying off the internet. Saw my psych yesterday who diagnosed me as bipolar, and I'm starting Lithium next week. I guess I'm dealing with it ok, but it's just been so much to process.
My husband and I are going to take out private health insurance in the next couple of weeks, should things [read: me] flip out and I need to go inpatient. Not interested in doing that as a public patient!

So, I guess, now is a good time to look to the future - this diagnosis isn't going to change me, my relationships, or my plans. I will be a stronger woman!

Again, thanks for the kind words and I hope you're all doing well xx

TheDreamingTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
zivalover16
 
zivalover16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boiceville NY
I am currently:

In my opinion lithium is a miracle drug. I am on it and my mood has stabilized! It is working so well for me. I didn't even notice that I was have as many mood swings as I was until they were stabilized if that makes any sense. Going inpatient isn't bad... I went and actually somewhat enjoyed myself. I am so glad to hear that you aren't letting this diagnosis change you!!!!! and that you are calling yourself a stronger women... not that many people can say that about themselves so kudos to you! anyway good luck with everything, you will succeed



Big Sister:Squiggles
Little Sister: PaintItBlack
Cousins: dereksarah, Hollz

zivalover16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:58 AM.