RYL Forums


Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
slipping up again
 
slipping up again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ireland
I am currently:
Counselling - am I overreacting?

I haven't been around vets for a while, so hope it's okay to post. I'm annoyed about something and just needed some help in trying to get some perspective on the situation.

Background - I've been with my current Psychologist for over 3 years. During that time he's worked in 3 different premises. The first two he had an office where I had to buzz up to his office from the main door and he let me in and straight up to his office. A couple of months ago he moved into a GP practice. I didn't like the idea of having to check in with a receptionist or having to wait in the waiting area to be called. But he reassured me that I could just check in with the receprionist without giving my name. Well, the other day I checked in and sat down. Then the receptionist called me, by name. I was surprised that she knew my name. I asked my therapist and he said that he told her my name so she could call me when he was ready to see me. I was really annoyed with this because I assumed she wouldn't know my name since I didn't give it and due to confidentiality he wouldn't tell her my name. He said that he only meant that I wouldn't have to give my name the first time I came. But he didn't say that. He said it was an oversight (a pretty big one, I thought!)

I know I'm probably overreacting but I just don't like the idea of the receprionist knowing my name and calling me so that people in the waiting area know my name also (even though they wouldn't necessarily know who I was there to see). I feel like it's a breach of confidentiality, especially since he didn't tell me that the receptionist would know my name and I don't feel like I can be as anonymous as I previously felt.

I know I can't change what's happened but I'd just like to know if others think my annoyance is justified. I'm sure many people see therapists in GP practices and don't mind being called by name by the receprionist. I'd just like to hear about people's thoughts and experiences on this. Please also feel free to tell me I'm overreacting (it might actually help me to be less annoyed about it!).

Thanks so much if you've read all this. I wish I was able to express myself with less words!

Take care x




Today I'll try to become more aware of alternatives that I haven't yet realised.
Although I have no control over other people's reactions or thoughts, I can change the way I react.


slipping up again is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Hugs Given By :
Old 28-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
startingagain
 
startingagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009

I had to see the psychiatrist in the GPs. It wasn't obvious until someone asked a lady which doctor was in that room and she said it was a psychiatrist. When I was called to walk in I was so embarassed. I know that you shouldn't care, but doesn't mean that you don't.

I'd ask your therapist to come and get you if you don't want your name to be called.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Margo
 
Margo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I am currently:

Most GP surgeries will call you by name. I guarantee that none of the patients will bat an eyelid or remember you or anyone else for that matter. Can you remember the names of others when you go?

Its standard practice and like you say no one will know or care who you are going to see or why. The receptionists are bound by confidentiality and so you will be safe.

change is unsettling especially when its with the therapist. I remember it freaked me out for a few weeks when she changed her Sofa!!

Try not to get wound up by it. Its the relationship that you have with him that matters and the work you do together.

Just be thankful that you dont have to go wait in the Genital Wort ward for your treatment each week!! Imagine the sheer horror of that :P

Take care

Matthew xxx



~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P



Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
pea soup
 
pea soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: at the end of the rainbow
I am currently:

try not to worry about it if you can.

names go in one ear and out the other...the only names people really remember are there own. hopefully :P

*hugs*





pea soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
slipping up again
 
slipping up again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ireland
I am currently:

Startingagain - thanks. I'm sure that was very hard and embarassing. I wouldn't like if people knew who I was there to see.

pea soup - it is true that people don't remember names. thanks.

Matthew - what you said made a lot of sense. The therapeutic relationship is the most important thing, and when I was so angry with him it's probably what stopped me from walking out and not going back! The whole gp practice thing just always freaks me out anyway. I would be mortified if someone I knew recognised me and realised that I was there to see a Psychologist. Very few people know that I go to counselling and that's the way I like it.

I guess it's not the worst thing in the world for the receptionist to know my name. Are they actually bound by confidentiality?

I'm trying not to imagine having to wait in the genital worts ward! That would be horrific! But it really made me laugh Thanks


Last edited by slipping up again : 30-07-2010 at 10:39 AM.



Today I'll try to become more aware of alternatives that I haven't yet realised.
Although I have no control over other people's reactions or thoughts, I can change the way I react.


slipping up again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Margo
 
Margo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I am currently:

Yup medical receptionists are bound to confidentiality. My mum was one for years.



~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P



Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON
Forum Jump


Sea Pink Aroma
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:11 AM.