RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2015, 04:02 AM   #1
waytorecovery

I am currently:
Reviews Requested- Contains upsetting material - The Other Voice - A Short Short Story (Approx. 300 words)

***May be triggering for both eating disorders and self harm***

I haven't posted in this forum in a while because it's been some time since I've written. But yeah, here you go! This is actually a very accurate representation of the inner dialogue that goes on in my head every day. Let me know if you can relate, and I would really appreciate some feedback.

"Just look at yourself," she whispered in my ear. "What are you doing? Why are you like this? You're so messed up. Why are you so messed up?"
I squeezed my head between my palms and shut my eyes to shut out the voice of the girl. "Go away," I responded. "I'm not listening to you."
"You're trying to ignore me because you know I speak the truth," the voice said, louder. "Everything I say is right. That's why it hurts you so much, right? That's why you don't want to hear it."
"Shut up."
"Admit it; I'm right."
"Okay, okay you are. Can you please just give me a break?"
"No! You're asking for a break? Just look at yourself! You need to be better. 600 calories today. That's final. You've eaten way too much these past two days. You're never going to be skinny."
"Okay, fine!"
"You can have 800 tomorrow."
"Okay."
I walked through the kitchen.
"...Are you thinking about chocolate? Are you seriously craving junk food right now? Oh my god, you're disgusting. You're faking. You choosing to do this on purpose. If you want to eat then you really don't have a problem. You're ridiculous, look at you trying to fake a mental illness and get attention. You're absolutely disgusting."
At this point I couldn't tell who was speaking anymore, but it sounded an awful lot like myself. The seed of guilt burst in my chest and its insides unraveled throughout my body until I was caught in a riptide of shame and disgust. I could hardly breathe.
"Cut. It'll make you feel better. Go, do it now!"
I still didn't know who was talking, but I immediately obeyed and ran into my room, grabbed my blade, and slashed numerous times at my arm. The searing pain brought a sense of relief, and the girl was satisfied when the glossy red blood made its appearance.
"There you go. Feel better now?"
I breathed out. "Yes."

"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

waytorecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
teacupmusings

I am currently:

Whoa. O_O This is really incredible. I like how it flows and the raw emotion you've captured. Is this part of a larger piece or something that was pure inspiration of the moment?

teacupmusings is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)