RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #1
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:
Discrimination

After many years of being too unwell to drive I was cleared to drive in December last year. After declaring my diagnosis to the dvla I got my license last month. So my search for a driving instructor began. I found a driving instructor and sent them an email. I booked a lesson and I was worried that I couldn't fit in the car. I asked my driving instructor and was told that a "30+ stone man drives the same car". Now I am large but not that large. So I didn't think that my weight was that much of an issue.

I had my lesson and I felt that it went ok. The instructor let me drive for approximately 20 mins continuously and I booked another lesson. Unfortunately I caught a cold and let the instructor know. I went in contact with him a week today and was told that I could have a lesson on Tuesday. He never turned up. I got in touch thinking perhaps he meant this week. No response. Eventually after several texts I got the reply "I think that you should find a 2 door or an automatic". In other words he thinks that I am a liability.

Now when I drove the car he never said anything about my weight. He had plenty of opportunity to say anything about me being unsafe or to terminate the lesson early. In fact if it wasn't for my cold I would have had a second lesson.

The only thing that I can think of is that he is discriminating me on health grounds. He asked me what job that I did; I explained that I can't work due to a medical condition. He asked what it was and I said schizophrenia. He said that during the lessons I can do anything except become violent. I thought nothing of it at the time but looking back it was clear that he believes the hype around schizophrenia.

Now I feel like complaining. It just seems strange that he was keen to take some more lessons and then make some bs excuse. I have the instructors boss email address. I would quote the disability discrimination act if I knew it applied in my case. Now that is where I need your help in making a complaint. I can't let it go without doing something.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 27-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
whirlpools

Oh, I'm sorry for your experience. The way he has behaved is completely unprofessional and just horrible. I can only imagine how you must be feeling right now. Making a complaint seems sensible, it sounds like he needs to undergo some training, and to educate himself.

Hope you find a good driving instructor soon and don't let him put you off.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks whirlpools. Does anyone have any idea what I should write in my complaint email?

The thing is I never had trouble changing gear in the car that was used so IMO I don't need a automatic. If given the chance I would prefer an manual.

Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic

Old 27-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Wonderland.

I know this sounds like maybe an odd question. But wouldn't a two door car be even more compact?
And how would him suggesting you try automatic be about your weight?

I just don't really understand but it may well be me being thick.

But it is definitely worth complaining about it. And you shouldn't be made to feel how you did. And it was rude of him to just not turn up, he could have talked to you in person if he didn't feel he was the right instructor for you.

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
not_so_insig

I am currently:

He said that during the lesson he thought an 2 door is more roomy and therefore suited to a bigger person. But that was before I drove the car. I don't get the automatic quote either as I had no problem with changing gear. In fact I did it first time!

But if he said something during our lesson or hadn't said that a 30 stone person drives the same car I would be inclined to believe him. I asked my friends opinion before and she said that it sounds fishy. That's why I believe it's down to the schizophrenia issue. Plus the fact that he ignored me. If it had been a case of simply forgetting when he didn't turn up last week he would have replied asap and been apologetic if it weren't a discrimination issue. Or if it had genuinely been a weight issue he would have said something sooner instead of now and not been keen to allow me to book a further lesson.

Old 27-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Wonderland.

Thank you for explaining I understand now.

Sounds like he is just making up excuses, like you say. And it's much better to learn to drive manual if you are physically able like you are.

It's really sad in this day and age that people still think people who have certain mental illnesses are violent. I mean if a person was like that they would be in hospital!! It's incredibly frustrating how ignorant people are.

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Sketchy

I am currently:

This is completely unacceptable. I wish I knew what to suggest. I'm sorry this has happened to you. His comment about becoming violent shows how stupid he is. He shouldn't have just ignored you like that. Unprofessional.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks everyone.

Even if his boss closes ranks and agrees with him I would have felt better for complaining. Also it wasn't his personal car it had a logo for a company which is named after his boss. They had good reviews on Facebook hence why I went with them.

I will come back to this thread once I have thought what to say.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)