RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #61
Auror.
Camden

I don't have a blender - I've seen the recipes with cashews too but tbh cashews are also v expensive.

I think alternating between the rice with beans and veggies and the mac and cheese will be what I do. I like both okay and then I can save my soups for dinner.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 10:10 PM   #62
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Do you like nutritional yeast? Plus a certain RYLer introduced me to asefoetida which is also excellent for cheesy flavour. If you wanted to cut down on the cost of the mac and cheese you can make a white sauce (roux with butter and flour and milk (or milk and water)) and add as much cheese as your budget will allow and either some nutritional yeast or some asefoetida. It works OK!

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 10:26 PM   #63
Auror.
Camden

I do use nutritional yeast in many dishes and already do in my mac and cheese! Mine was basically: Cook pasta with water, vegetable bullion, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper in instant pot. Stir in vegan butter, milk, and cheese. Finished.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 30-01-2022, 10:58 PM   #64
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Oh OK :) If you thicken the sauce with a roux it might require less cheese either way, if that's still a concern.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Old 30-01-2022, 11:15 PM   #65
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
Would like to add that Jenna refined the recipe - I just went ‘whack these things in in quantities you deem appropriate’, which actually seemed to upset her quite a bit.

Also tried Lindts new vegan chocolate bar this morning (saw Lindt, assumed lindor, was mildly disappointed) and it was ok! Hazelnut, sorry Jenna.
Yes! I require step by step instructions o_O
Also K really liked the Lindt hazelnut thingy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
I don't have a blender - I've seen the recipes with cashews too but tbh cashews are also v expensive.
Yeah, I figured that might be limiting! I use 150g for 6 servings, if that's any use to work out if it's worth having a go.

Quote:
Plus a certain RYLer introduced me to asefoetida which is also excellent for cheesy flavour. !
The. Hell. Is. That.
Also is the 'certain RYLer' someone who was once part of an awesome DIY trio with us?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2022, 11:35 PM   #66
Auror.
Camden

Quote:
Oh OK :) If you thicken the sauce with a roux it might require less cheese either way, if that's still a concern.
What is roux? It was extremely thick. I had to add a lot of almond milk to it, and that was even without draining the water from cooking the pasta.

Old 30-01-2022, 11:49 PM   #67
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
The. Hell. Is. That.
Also is the 'certain RYLer' someone who was once part of an awesome DIY trio with us?
Do you need me to crack out lmgtfy again?
It's like a garlicky cheesy condiment? spice? that you get in the herbs and spices section of a supermarket. I'd wanted to try it but was too scared until Said RYLer and their partner fed me some REALLY GOOD macaroni cheese made with it.

Not telling you unless you allow the DIY project to be completed.

Old 30-01-2022, 11:51 PM   #68
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
What is roux? It was extremely thick. I had to add a lot of almond milk to it, and that was even without draining the water from cooking the pasta.
It's when you heat butter or oil and add flour. It thickens milky sauces :) just means you need less cheese to thicken it, but doesn't sound like that was a problem!

Old 31-01-2022, 12:49 AM   #69
Auror.
Camden

I had to add like 3 cups of almond milk. Definitely do not think it required being more thick lol!

Old 18-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #70
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

I finally got a packet of choccie dodgers! They’re so good.

Old 18-02-2022, 06:48 PM   #71
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Controversial opinion: I don't like them o_O I'm glad you managed to get some and that they weren't disappointing for you though!

Old 18-02-2022, 06:50 PM   #72
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Yeah but you knew you wouldn't because the chocolate is hazelnut based, so your opinion is officially disregarded

Old 21-02-2022, 02:02 AM   #73
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Oh is that why I didn’t like it! If I knew that already, I’d forgotten and I didn’t think it tasted badly of hazelnuts, but that does indeed explain it.

I ate an Asda mini fake Colin the caterpillar yesterday!!! Considering it’s gluten-free too, I’d say it’s pretty decent.

Old 21-02-2022, 11:57 AM   #74
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Yeah, we had a whole conversation when they came out - you read the ingredients and told me you wouldn't like them...

I'm so excited for my next Asda order!

Old 21-02-2022, 04:06 PM   #75
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

I assume it's becoming pretty offensive just how frequently I have no recollection of our conversations...

Old 21-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #76
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

It occurs to me only now that the joke I just tried to make was in very poor taste.

Last edited by Elmer : 21-02-2022 at 05:19 PM.

Old 21-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #77
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

You could replace it with a not-joke about it being much less offensive than when I repeatedly fail to remember the basics of social etiquette and spew your personal anecdotes to virtual strangers…

Old 21-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #78
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Yeah, you seem to have no trouble recalling those.

Old 22-02-2022, 01:32 AM   #79
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

THE BAG STORY.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 02:52 AM   #80
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

DO YOU SEE WHAT I PUT UP WITH oldfashionedmethod

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)