RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Derpy
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:
So done

I have been referred to the mental health services. (So much for them not being worried then) & am closer to attempting suicide than I have been for a long while, the mental health services will be the death of me. Don't say "why not accept the help" etc because I don't view that as help. I am not here to argue about the mental health services and their "help" though.

I need to know as much as I can about "STEPS", the treatment levels and what severity is treated by each level, the mh assessment I'm undoubtedly going to go through. I need to know everything

One Hug Given By:
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Can't you just not follow up with it?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
offlineforever
Left RYL

Can you not google the steps program thing? Or are you looking for personal experiences?

I have to agree with the above if you don't want the help just don't attend the appointment. I don't understand why you keep asking about the support they are offering and you don't want.

Left.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

If you don't want to go, don't turn up. Cancel the appointment/assessment/group if you don't want their help.

Tbh, you must have agreed to be referred so the fact you have been is down to you. Nobody made you accept the referral, even if they did strongly recommend it.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Derpy

I am currently:

I try to know everything I can before I make any decisions (even if the decision is very likely to be not accept)
You all said they wouldn't refer me to the mental health services, so I went along to an ecg collection appointment. And guess what happened? A referral to the mental health services. Which kinda makes me untrusting of what you said, that I could "just cancel the appointment" a likely assessment. my mum was there and she wasn't shutting up. I hate that they manipulated me

Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Sketchy

I am currently:

If you don't trust what others are saying, then why ask? I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm just concerned you are going to say no to every suggestion offered, which makes me worry you don't want to recover.

The first time I was referred to the CMHT I didn't go and they didn't chase me. I did eventually go after being referred a second time, but that was my choice because I just couldn't cope. Obviously I can't say for sure what will happen, but if you are not ready to engage with them, then they probably will find it hard to help you.

As for the assessment itself, it's not as bad as you think, but can be nerve wracking. They ask lots of questions about your history, family, how you are feeling, if you harm yourself etc. This is so they can see where you need help and how to help, but as I said before, you don't have to go (I recommend going, but understand that you would rather not).

Do you feel you can get better on your own? Look at it this way, you are here asking lot's of questions, you have bean referred to mh, so you clearly aren't coping as well as you would like.

Remember there are the samaritans you can phone anonymously. You clearly need support of some kind, so maybe you could try phoning them.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
offlineforever
Left RYL

Actually from what I remember you were told they may refer you if they are concerned about your mental health.

That said, I think Sketchy has covered it all quite well.

Left.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Kyaneos
Steph.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnonymous View Post
If you don't want to go, don't turn up. Cancel the appointment/assessment/group if you don't want their help.

Tbh, you must have agreed to be referred so the fact you have been is down to you. Nobody made you accept the referral, even if they did strongly recommend it.
This.

Why didnt you just decline the offer of a referral?

Also, Google is an option, I dont know why you made a new thread if you dont trust anyone here. I feel this is going to go around in the same circle as the last one.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelback4Ever View Post
I try to know everything I can before I make any decisions (even if the decision is very likely to be not accept)
You all said they wouldn't refer me to the mental health services, so I went along to an ecg collection appointment. And guess what happened? A referral to the mental health services. Which kinda makes me untrusting of what you said, that I could "just cancel the appointment" a likely assessment. my mum was there and she wasn't shutting up. I hate that they manipulated me
Hi nickelback

Just wanted to say nobody here deliberately deceived you and we were only trying to provide you with advice based on our experiences. We couldn't have seen inti the future that a referral would be offered.

Hope the results were ok

Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Derpy

I am currently:

It's On my records now. So what's the point continuing?
I do understand that you can't see into the future, but most of you sounded certain I wouldn't be. Someone with severe trust issues like me might take that badly as I trusted you and the thing you were pretty much certain wouldn't happen, did happen. I don't see the point in talk therapy, because I wouldn't talk about the majority of it, too personal or too what I'd consider dangerous (ie telling them I cut and that I'm suicidal). And it wouldn't help me anyway

Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyaneos View Post
. I feel this is going to go around in the same circle as the last one.
Ever heard of a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Old 03-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Sketchy

I am currently:

Rather than blame us, you need to take responsibility. You are an adult, you can say no. You can say what you like.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Hi there. I understand you felt pressured to accept the referral, but you're 19, you're an adult, and it's your choice to say no. I've said no loads of times; they don't care, but you can't say yes and then complain about it; they're not psychic.

Here's an analogy: If you say you're hungry, and I offer you a chocolate bar, and you take it and eat it - you can't then complain you don't like chocolate and I should have known.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
If you don't trust what others are saying, then why ask? I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm just concerned you are going to say no to every suggestion offered, which makes me worry you don't want to recover.
I do want to recover, but I will do it without the services

Quote:
The first time I was referred to the CMHT I didn't go and they didn't chase me. I did eventually go after being referred a second time, but that was my choice because I just couldn't cope. Obviously I can't say for sure what will happen, but if you are not ready to engage with them, then they probably will find it hard to help you.
I'll never be ready to engage with them. And I glad that you weren't chased

Quote:
As for the assessment itself, it's not as bad as you think, but can be nerve wracking. They ask lots of questions about your history, family, how you are feeling, if you harm yourself etc. This is so they can see where you need help and how to help, but as I said before, you don't have to go (I recommend going, but understand that you would rather not).
What about if you simply don't want their kind of help?

Quote:
Do you feel you can get better on your own? Look at it this way, you are here asking lot's of questions, you have bean referred to mh, so you clearly aren't coping as well as you would like.
I cannot cope well at the moment because of my 'family' (rude abusive ignorant idiots they are), I don't want that referral, but I'm nervous about cancelling it in case they chase me down. I am suicidal. I do self-harm. Perhaps I could use the appointment to convince them I am fine? (No tips requested, yes or no answer please)

Quote:
Remember there are the samaritans you can phone anonymously. You clearly need support of some kind, so maybe you could try phoning them.
I might try that. Once I've got rid of this unwanted referral

Old 03-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Sketchy

I am currently:

Thank you for replying to my post.

I appreciate how you feel about mh services, but what about waiting to hear what services they can offer? You might be surprised.

To be honest, if you don't want their help, then there is no point in going.

As for the family situation, you need to work on that, ie. find a way of moving out.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
offlineforever
Left RYL

You are moving to uni soon, could you not just tell then you are moving away so it is a waste of time being referred?

Left.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytak View Post
You are moving to uni soon, could you not just tell then you are moving away so it is a waste of time being referred?
That is, perhaps, the best piece of advice you've come up with.
Just one small issue though, won't they just try to transfer the services to wherever my uni is?

Old 03-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I didn't get multiquoted. :(

No, it doesn't work like that, so they'll just dump you. Look around at the forums - there's loads of people who've been dumped by MH services for similar reasons. Just say no, you're an adult. Nobody is forcing you into this - you said yes. You can't complain if you say yes.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Derpy

I am currently:

Quote:
Thank you for replying to my post.
Anytime

Quote:
I appreciate how you feel about mh services, but what about waiting to hear what services they can offer? You might be surprised.
Talk therapy won't work, simply because I cannot talk about the majority of my problems

Quote:
To be honest, if you don't want their help, then there is no point in going.
Apart from maybe using it to convince them I don't need them

Quote:
As for the family situation, you need to work on that, ie. find a way of moving out.
I know. I will be moving to uni soon

Old 03-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
offlineforever
Left RYL

I lost CMHT support when I moved to uni because they had no space for me.

Left.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)