RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #41
Breadsticks

I am currently:

i see my gp as often as once a week sometimes! now it's around once a month to pester him for medication. sunshineinthecity - yeah that's what i mean. always there but i can control it. ususally.

My anxiety was awful today because i was really tired. Had to get up at 6am with only around an hour's sleep. does anyone else have triggers for anxiety like that?

But if i still believe you love me, maybe i'll survive.
So i tell myself you're coming home, like you've done a million times.
& if it's alright, i'll still be loving you.
'cause i can't break it to my heart.

Breadsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #42
offlineforever
Left RYL

hmm, i feel like i am left to it most of the time, i was diagnosed and that was it... that can't be right?

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #43
frenchhorn
Oliver

did your doctor recommend counselling or something like that?

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

'When words fail, music speaks'

I am transsexual and homoromantic and proud to be.

frenchhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #44
offlineforever
Left RYL

from what i can remember, i was offered some for of anti-depresent and counselling, i refused the drugs and was put into counselling, i turned up to one appointment and didnt like the woman i was seeing so refused to go back.

this was 3 years ago though

Left.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #45
frenchhorn
Oliver

maybe go to your doctor and say you need some more support, maybe see them more often, or ask to be referred for some counselling of some sort

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or studpidity. The grave will supply plenty of time for silence." Christopher Hitchens

Old 12-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #46
offlineforever
Left RYL

Well, uni have put me into counselling, but my counsellor has gone away now...

The link below explains everything i was about to say, until i realised i'd already said it

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...d.php?t=121677

Left.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #47
frenchhorn
Oliver

i think it would be a really good idea to go and see your doctor and tell them you are struggling and they will bebale to help

Old 12-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #48
offlineforever
Left RYL

yeah, the thing is I am going back to York for 3 weeks on the 21st so going now kindof feels like a waste of time.

Left.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #49
frenchhorn
Oliver

it wouldnt be a waste of time, you can say you will be away for 3 weeks and they will probably want to see you again when you are back, the sooner you go the better, if you keep leaving it you wont go, i did that for years and got a lot worse. they wont think you are wasting their time

Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #50
offlineforever
Left RYL

i'll ring on monday to make an appointment

Left.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #51
frenchhorn
Oliver

hope it goes ok for you, try to be as honest as you can

Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #52
sunshineinthecity

I am currently:

Naty: what's been your experience of this and university?
I declared GAD on my UCAS- my councellor said it would bump me up the councelling waiting list - and now I'm starting to get all the 'Disability' info packs from the universities. It's freaking me out, I don't know what to do. Honestly, I don't know what they could do for me...

Uni seems so- unattainable atm. I can't imagine myself coping on my own. I'm thinking about going to my 2nd choice uni because it's smaller, and it might be- calmer.

Good luck with your appointment x

sunshineinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #53
offlineforever
Left RYL

I'm gonna turn into my father in this response (My dad works in a disability service at a uni)

BUT my experience (at lincoln university) has been really good! I advise that you do what the advise in the disability service because you do get a lot of help and support, because my tutors all know i have a 'disabling' condition they are able to help me loads, they dont force me to speak in classes or anything, and they will support you as best they can.

Have you been told about DSA?

Does any of this help?

feel free to PM me if you want more info on this and studff

Old 13-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #54
Breadsticks

I am currently:

sunshineinthecity, i'm 1st year doing psychiatric nursing, and i'm coping really well. there is so much support at university, you just have to ask for it. People are always there to help.

But if i still believe you love me, maybe i'll survive.
So i tell myself you're coming home, like you've done a million times.
& if it's alright, i'll still be loving you.
'cause i can't break it to my heart.

Breadsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #55
frenchhorn
Oliver

yeah I have heard that most uni's are great with support, I go to music college, which is the same level as uni, but just for music, and its loads smaller, only about 500 students over 5/6 years and although we have a welfare person and a couple of counsellors, there isnt the greatest amount of support, they have set up a personnel learning plan for me, which says what i have and how that effects me etc, but i dont think most of the staff have read it, as they have to look on their computerised register for it. they did arrange me some free cbt, but it wasnt good and now they have just sort of left me, they say to go and see them if i need anything but i would never know what to say. sorry gone on a bit.
how is everyone?

Old 13-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #56
sunshineinthecity

I am currently:

Going on is good. :)
Christmas Shopping today... A crowded shopping centre with the added pressure of having pick the right presents for the right amount of money under a time limit... I couldn't breath properly/think properly for the whole time, but hey, I survived.

Okay. Big application pack. Information for Disabled Applicants.
From reading through, what I've managed to pick up on is
- They have links with local GPs (and i imagine MHS through them?)
- And an on-site councelling service.
I imagine that's pretty standard for all unis? (Hope so.)

I've heard about the DSA- but I don't know what service could be provided that the DSA could help me fund- does that make sense?

I suppose having the tutors know is a good thing... but the course I've chosen is (Get ready, because this is funny) Journalism. (Yes, I know. I can't imagine me doing it either. Actually, the first choice course is Journalism and Russian. With year abroad, of course. I want to do it so, so much, I really do- but I'm starting to feel like I've been living in a dream world, and in reality- who am I kidding? I can't cope getting the bus on my own.) Anyway, Journalism is a tough industry. I don't if the tutors will be- understanding.

See. Now who's rambling on!

sunshineinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #57
offlineforever
Left RYL

DSA Is helpful for you in the same way that it is helpful for physical disabilites, I don't really want to spout off on here what i was provided with so if you wanna know a bit more just PM me, i'll respond asap.

And Journalism dept should be helpful I am sure, I have a friend with mental health issues here at uni who does Journalism and they help her a lot, they all know about her issues too.

Don't let your MH set you back with uni, if you wanna do it, do it! I've done an English Degree knowing full well i would have to do presentations (which i have a phobia of) and they are alright with that! I still question why i chose it though.
x

Left.

Old 14-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #58
Kitkat :)
A thousand mile journey starts with the first step

I am currently:

Thanks frenchhorn... the problem is he doesn't know I'm suffering from depression and I'm scared to tell him because the last two boys mates I told, they both said "i can't handle it, leave me alone, stay away from me" and now I'm scared to tell anyone else.
the worse thing is my grandad, he's always like, you look so miserable you've got nothing to be upset about, but he just doesn't understand...
No one does :/

Kitkat :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #59
frenchhorn
Oliver

sorry they said that kitkat, i dont tell people either, because the few people i have told have basically abandoned me after a while and not wanted to know. its very hard for people who have never been through anything like depression or anxiety to understand, when i am at home, which is only holiday time now thankfully, i always try and put on a face and make sure i do stuff otherwise i get told to stop being lazy and do stuff.
i've just played in a concert, so knackered now, got extremley anxious beforeahand, as i always do, i am really in the wrong career being a musician which severe performance anxiety, but oh well.
*hugs everyone*

Old 14-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #60
offlineforever
Left RYL

That happened to me a lot too, then the people who knew me before I was diagnosed.

The attitude i took was to be honest about it, only when people asked, and if they didnt want to know me after that... then that was up to them for being so petty.

The people who desert you aren't worth it because they can't see past your label.

Hope that helps...

Left.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)