Read the thread first. Suggestions have come up about the CT. Also, this THREAD was made by a male. NOT a female. No one was attacking or flaming anyone until you came in and said it was O.o. The thread was fine, with all the mods posting in it, if it hadn't been, i'm pretty sure they would have said something.
We're talkigna buot forum mods mostly. But it was pointed out in the beginning that there is one male chat mod.
I've read the thread thankyou, and i stand by everything i've said.
And i think Chelle knows that it was pointed out already that Mike is a moderator. It's also been pointed out (many times - incase you haven't read that) that lots of male members have been made as moderators in the past.
Others were looking for suggestions, thus i gave them. I didn't say it had turned into a flame war, but i can see it going that way if certain people start getting above there stations.
Last edited by PropheticStar : 14-05-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Also, i never mentioned anywhere that Duffer was attacking anyone - i'm in agreement with him actually, so i'd keep your mouths shut and re-read what i've said before jumping to conclusions.
I dont understand how charlie was being sexist?! And why are we talking about the forum mods specifically, why arent we talking about more male supporters (which surely would be a lot more beneficial, if boys would prefer a reply from other males) Yes it would be nice to have a male forum mod and when we see a good candidate, Im sure theyll be chosen, but I would never be happy working on a team with someone there just to fill the gap to make sure we dont look like we only let girls in.
If thats the way the team is chosen, then I know its not just me that wouldnt be a mod anymore.
I like that idea - about more males being supporters. I wonder if any males would like to do that..? I think that's a good idea *claps Livsy in a non patronising manner*
^^ well the whole supporter thing needs some work...
i think that, in the case of the mods, we (the community) should have some trust in them, and their decisions about chosing other mods. they do the best really.
Supposing a male member who was suitable for the job was found, and modded... why would this make any difference to RYL? I don't see how having one or two more male mods equates to RYL suddenly being more inviting to men.
Would a male mod make different decisions to the female mods? One would hope not.
I guess I just don't really understand why the gender of the mods is particularly relevant. They are all people, who do their jobs well. It just so happens that most of them aren't men, because most of the members aren't men.
I agree that having a support thread for men to post in should they feel the need, would be a better first step to making RYL more accessible to men. It might draw some of them who feel scared to post out of the woodwork, and this may or may not show us that there are men who could make good mods.
Supposing a male member who was suitable for the job was found, and modded... why would this make any difference to RYL? I don't see how having one or two more male mods equates to RYL suddenly being more inviting to men.
Would a male mod make different decisions to the female mods? One would hope not.
I guess I just don't really understand why the gender of the mods is particularly relevant. They are all people, who do their jobs well. It just so happens that most of them aren't men, because most of the members aren't men.
I agree that having a support thread for men to post in should they feel the need, would be a better first step to making RYL more accessible to men. It might draw some of them who feel scared to post out of the woodwork, and this may or may not show us that there are men who could make good mods.
^^ well the whole supporter thing needs some work...
Completely agree. But i personally have seen monsoon (who i believe is male..smack me if i'm wrong but i swear they are) give some really good advice since being a member here and i think he'd be a wonderful supporter.
I think though the whole supporter process is looked into carefully, you can't have someone who has grudges against others replying etc etc.
The thing with the supporters they are all secret unless you stumble across there profile and it says supporters, so i for one and i'm sure many others never knew that. If you think having more male supporters will help males on the site then maybe something to let people know there are males on the supporters if the males would feel more comfortable talking to another male. I haven't used them in a while because i was still under the impression that they were still all females. As for would males like to be supporters i don't know to be honest.
Completely agree. But i personally have seen monsoon (who i believe is male..smack me if i'm wrong but i swear they are) give some really good advice since being a member here and i think he'd be a wonderful supporter.
I think though the whole supporter process is looked into carefully, you can't have someone who has grudges against others replying etc etc.
Thank you so much, thats very kind of you to say that you feel i'd make a wonderful supporter, :) thank you, oh and yes i am male.
Read the thread first. Suggestions have come up about the CT. Also, this THREAD was made by a male. NOT a female. No one was attacking or flaming anyone until you came in and said it was O.o. The thread was fine, with all the mods posting in it, if it hadn't been, i'm pretty sure they would have said something.
Sorry to bring up an old post but I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure Laura has the good sense to read the whole thread before making a reply and you should be careful how you word things online cause tone is hard to pick and that came across quite patronising.
im not sure how? Maybe it came accross very wrongly.
I meant like, Jess said earlier in the post that we couldnt pay her to be a mod.. like, there are people here that have no interest in being anything other than a regular member, and maybe some of/all of the guys fit into that catagory.
Maybe its never been an issue before because the male members are happy not being in staff postitions.. is what i meant.
In the CT boards, there are on going discussions as to how to attract more males to RYL, and to make existing males feel more comfortable with the community... While additional male staff would possibly help to alleviate the worries of some, I believe that the normal mod-selection criteria should apply, as discussed already.
I don't claim to know anything of the selection process, but from my own experience as webmaster/moderator of several other minor forums, the following traits are important:
- Dedication
- Active membership
- Maturity
- Good sense of judgment
- Trustworthiness and reliability
- Experience
Unfortunately, IMHO, the majority of male members I have stumbled across in my time here seem to lack the majority of these traits, especially the third... Maybe that is my own personal bias, but personally I wouldn't be very happy with someone immature in a position of authority.
Oh, and this isn't directed at those males who have posted here... Duffer44, you have done a lot of work on the CT trying to sort out the perceived issues for male members, and while I agree that more needs to be done I still think that being a male should not be the deciding factor as to whether they should become a moderator
Last edited by OutOfTheWoods11 : 14-05-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Okay... I've read through the thread now and feel like posting a few insights into my own opinion as a male member...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffer44
RYL in general feels unwelcoming to males
I understand that you will choose who you feel is best for the mod position but it doesn't even seem you can see a problem that this is a mixed site and it just comes across as it's controlled by females and to me that doesn't seem right :
Personally, as a male who has been a member for ~2 years I have never really felt intimidated by the female community. I remember that I once posted a poll and the ratio was the same as it is today (1:10) so things haven't really changed. I can however imagine that to some males, especially young & shy males, the site might seem a little bit daunting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffer44
I think there are 3/4 males on the CT. We have a thread about attracting more males to the site which doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast. Maybe dragging that into this board and getting the community would help?
This peeked my curiosity...
We have...
J (Caru Y Nos)
You (Duffer44)
Me (Miiikeee)
Freedom Fighter
Are there any others? Especially active ones?
Last edited by OutOfTheWoods11 : 14-05-2009 at 12:48 PM.
I was going to say that Brian (pugdog) was a male mod for quite sometime but Erin beat me to it. I personally feel like I haven't seen a male stick out as mod material on the forums, but that is, of course, just my opinion.
Angels are friends who supportyou when your wings forget tofly.
Just wanted to say cheers Erin - and Monsoon - you're more than welcome sweetie. I did read that you're male after i posted so i was right! You're always very supportive and caring towards all members on here - new and old - i think you'd be a fantastic supporter.
Am I the only one with ruffled feathers because of the phrase "forum mod, not just chat mod"? :P Kidding, mostly. How can you people come up with six pages in just one day? -_-
At least to the chat mods this very thing was brought up a while ago - with the good argument that a balanced team does have a different perspective. Take the "no sexism" rule - jokes will always be made, but I suppose for an all female team it can be harder to judge what level of "all men are stupid"-jokes is offensive to our male members. Also harder to spot in the first place, because I'm sure most women on here will know similar phrases from nights out with the girls. *cough*
But to answer questions asked a few pages ago - what kind of general guideline for members who want to become mods? I agree with what Crysainta said, in that I tend to disqualify people who seem overly eager to be modded, at least in my mind. And the rest... I remember quite some time ago there was a thread in this very forum where both forum and chat mods posted some general things on what mods should be like. Maybe we could add that to the mods introduction thread (the stickies in this forum, if anyone ever reads them)?
The male/female ratio - speaking for the chat mods here, obviously - IS a consideration when we look for new candidates... but it's simply one consideration among many other, IMO more important ones.
Face your life
Its pain, its pleasure
Leave no path untaken
Duff isn't asking that a male be modded purely just on account of being male, but surely in a site where I'd say roughly 20% are male - are there really no appropriate candidates, at all?
Just wanted to say cheers Erin - and Monsoon - you're more than welcome sweetie. I did read that you're male after i posted so i was right! You're always very supportive and caring towards all members on here - new and old - i think you'd be a fantastic supporter.
xx
Its great that my support is appreciated here at ryl. I'm glad that you find me very caring and supportive. Its great to be a member at ryl where there are lots of awesome members :)